Coffee

2017 Forum topics and posts

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Leedur

Coffee

Post by Leedur » December 8th, 2017, 8:06 pm

Since my recent experience with A-fib, have been reading articles online and some indicate that alcohol & caffeine are the 2 top "triggers" for this. Having lived long enough to see a pattern in medical findings where what used to be bad for us eventually becomes the opposite. I think coffee is one of those.

I'm sure I can reduce my average of 3 cups daily to 2 if I had to.....but don't think I would want to quit entirely. Have always consumed only black with nothing added. Found some "Texas Pecan" flavor while in Houston a few years ago and it's been my favorite. A relative lives there and just sent me 12 bags.....in bean form with a few chunks of pecans in the bags. I will grind and brew in the morning for best flavor.

Have not consumed any alcohol in 28 years so that's not a problem and drink on average only 3 or 4 sodas per year. I'm thinking of ways to reduce caffeine and so far plan to substitute water for tea when eating out....and "mostly" avoid chocolate. Not sure this issue will make the question list for my next cardiologist appointment.....ignorance is bliss (coffee)?

SpruceSniper

Re: Coffee

Post by SpruceSniper » December 9th, 2017, 3:21 am

I strongly advocate for caffeine intake reduction. Great choice.

Another good choice could be to look into herbal supplements for a number of "preventative medicine" approaches. I won't share what I use since our bodies are different, but depending on what your doc says there is potential in a number of adaptogenic (that is it wont interfere with meds or other plants) properties as well as "superfood" status. Look into it, but good call on coffee reduction. Down to one cup a day here. That would have been unheard of a few years back, when I was a professional coffee roaster.

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » December 9th, 2017, 5:24 am

Decaf coffee works for me.

Being English I still drink a lot of tea though which has some caffeine. Decaf tea sadly is not nice.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 9th, 2017, 9:11 am

I would talk with your cardiologist as in many cases we can have a limited amount of coffee. My cardiologist is alright as long as I keep the cups limited and do not have any strong coffees. Teas may have a similar issue although I have not heard of any.
We have a member on here who really likes Starbucks and has had issues with it on several occasions.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

hrticknor

Post by hrticknor » December 9th, 2017, 10:32 am

Collin, I'm clearly no Brit but I do enjoy my PG Tips decaf...Probably proof that I'm just another ignorant Yank.... lmao4dx
Diagnosed in May of 1998 with cardiomyopathy. At diagnosis my EF was around 12. Received my first defibrillator one month later. My EF has improved to 30 by echo. Now on my 3rd ICD this one is a CRT-D following an A/V node ablation in 2009. Over the years I've been shocked a total of 4 times.I take Entresto, Crestor, Coumadin, amiodarone (and have for years), Spironolactone,baby aspirin, and Coreg.

SpruceSniper

Post by SpruceSniper » December 9th, 2017, 8:27 pm

freckles1880 wrote:
December 9th, 2017, 9:11 am
I would talk with your cardiologist as in many cases we can have a limited amount of coffee. My cardiologist is alright as long as I keep the cups limited and do not have any strong coffees. Teas may have a similar issue although I have not heard of any.
We have a member on here who really likes Starbucks and has had issues with it on several occasions.

wavhi
When I roasted coffee, we had a warehouse employee who had claimed to work at starbucks that said their roasters had a habit of scraping the white, fuzzy caffeine deposits from some part of their equipment and throwing it into the mix. no wonder it gets the bpm up...starbucks is just a step below crank

Leedur

Post by Leedur » December 9th, 2017, 9:10 pm

Tried Starbucks a couple of times.....most bitter coffee taste I've ever experienced (black).....guess that's why they offer so many heavily flavored mixes. Never going there again.

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » December 10th, 2017, 6:55 am

hrticknor wrote:
December 9th, 2017, 10:32 am
Collin, I'm clearly no Brit but I do enjoy my PG Tips decaf...Probably proof that I'm just another ignorant Yank.... lmao4dx
If you like it, that is all that matters.

I drink coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon and into the evening and then onto night time.

Both black and no sugar. Combined I must have 8-10 cups a day.... you've got to keep hydrated afterall.

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » December 10th, 2017, 7:12 am

I have to physically have one first thing in the morning, it is the only thing that gets my brain going. But the rest of my day is water.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » December 10th, 2017, 11:14 am

I live on coffee..strong black coffee but i hate starbucks....it doesnt even taste like coffee to me....over the years ive had mixed reactions from the cardiologists regarding the coffee.....but heres the thing...it doesnt play havoc with my heart....whereas my daughter one or two sips of coffee and she goes into a complete pumping frenzy with the hear....resulting in afib...so she deffo cant have it..

i have to say..without caffeine someone would have shot me a long time ago.
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

SpruceSniper

Post by SpruceSniper » December 10th, 2017, 10:06 pm

mykidsmom wrote:
December 10th, 2017, 11:14 am
I live on coffee..strong black coffee but i hate starbucks....it doesnt even taste like coffee to me....over the years ive had mixed reactions from the cardiologists regarding the coffee.....but heres the thing...it doesnt play havoc with my heart....whereas my daughter one or two sips of coffee and she goes into a complete pumping frenzy with the hear....resulting in afib...so she deffo cant have it..

i have to say..without caffeine someone would have shot me a long time ago.

do you and your daughter have the same condition?

I'm curious how many here have other family members with identical or similar conditions...

ricatlga

Post by ricatlga » December 11th, 2017, 9:33 am

We have been moving to less and less caffeine, but still need a bit of a boost in the am. We have a "grind-and-brew" coffee maker. Yes, it is not a burr grinder, but what can I say. So we load it up half with decaf beans and half with high-test. I only drink a couple of cups and I leave the majority for my wife (who really wants her caffeine). I can attest to the effect of caffeine having dropped my intake. If I have a cup of regular in the afternoon, depending on the brew, I can feel jittery. Try and go with what your cardiologist recommends.
Raymund
Mitral valve repair Dec 2007
VF unknown cause 1/19/2010, Medtronic Secura-VR 1-22-10
Ablation May 2012 - Sotalol discontinued in September

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » December 11th, 2017, 10:33 am

(PATIENT) - "Dr. it hurts when I do this"
(DOCTOR) - "Don't do that"

Pretty simple if it bothers you, either stop drinking it or stop complaining. We don't all react the same to triggers , learn what yours are and either avoid them or live with it...your choice.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

Leedur

Post by Leedur » December 11th, 2017, 12:00 pm

Robo wrote: "We don't all react the same to triggers , learn what yours are and either avoid them or live with it...your choice."

At this point, I'm not sure how I am going to learn the "triggers". If it's coffee, I have not changed consumption habits in several years....did my heart suddenly decide to react? Also, I didn't know what A-fib symptoms were as this is a new condition to me. One day I climb 2 flights of stairs at the gym and almost completely breathless....after having done the same and walked 3 miles two days earlier with no problem.

I can also relate back in the past few months brief spells of SOB when rolling the garbage cans approx.100 yards to street....but symptom seemed to last only briefly. I would assume this is my alert signal......as I don't notice anything else. Think I read somewhere it can be detected on a BP-Pulse rate monitor which I have.

Cardiologist has twice offered the home monitoring equipment for ICD and I refused. Appointment next week and I may accept their offer as I plan to discuss. Does ICD monitoring detect and alert for A-fib? While I was able to still function at a slower pace, I have read the stroke danger is higher and a new pill added to daily mix.

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » December 30th, 2017, 3:22 am

It may well be your heart just suddenly decided to rebel as is the case with me. I went from 15 cups of high test a day ( if anything I'm being modest) with no issue to arrhythmias anytime I have coffee.

Unrelated, but after 10 years I suddenly developed issues with Ace inhibitors and ARBS so it happens.

I dropped coffee for awhile to see whether it was a contributor and was able to determine indeed it is. Alcohol too is a trigger, but after a stiff one I find I really don't care.

I found now that I cannot tolerate even one cup of regular coffee and now make it with half decaf blend and suffer the consequences of 1 - 2 cups daily. Hey I'm not complaining, just sharing insight.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375