ICD Removal

2017 Forum topics and posts

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

SpruceSniper

Re: ICD Removal

Post by SpruceSniper » December 3rd, 2017, 3:55 pm

InSync wrote:
December 2nd, 2017, 11:14 pm
Yes, St. Jude/Abbott is responsible for your lead. They should be monitoring it. Typically through your doctor, but it seems you haven't seen one in a while. I would have that conversation with them. At least ask for a remote download to check lead integrity. Which leads (pun intended) to a couple of questions. Did I miss something in your story, or is this your original device? Has it been implanted for 14 years? When was last interrogation? If it has been implanted 14 years, do you even know if it is still active?
this is my second or third device. first one was taken out I believe in 2005, then another can replacement in 2012. The only thing I don't know is if the leads from the 2005 one are the only ones or if they were abandoned and I have an old set from then and a new set of riata leads from 2012.

I am fairly certain 2014 was the last time I saw any doc at all, for monitoring. Like I say...since I am destitute/indigent, they have tossed me aside as though I don't exist, never called me to see how the device is doing...much less me. I am officially injured in the shoulder from tossing boxes....and not too sure how I will work tomorrow.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 3rd, 2017, 6:03 pm

I think you need to contact your county health and human services people. If you are destitute and cannot afford or do not have any coverage they should be able to help. Legal help is not what you need at this point.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

InSync

Post by InSync » December 3rd, 2017, 8:57 pm

Have you attempted to get insurance coverage through the Federal Marketplace/Obamacare/Affordable Care Act?
Dilated Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, CHF
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12
The beat goes on.....

SpruceSniper

Post by SpruceSniper » December 4th, 2017, 1:33 am

I agree, medical help is more important than legal help at this point.

No, I have not gotten on obamacare. I will reserve my sentiments for elsewhere and just answer the question.

I may well benefit from talking to the local welfare folks. At least I have a roof over my head and a job to get injured at-should be more thankful. The area around my device is swollen a bit and the pain is severe. It finally dropped down the past few days but not without painkillers-that is a serious concern for me. Labor always injures me. Skilled labor not so much. We will see how tomorrow at work treats me.

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » December 4th, 2017, 9:55 am

Martyrdom - a display of feigned or exaggerated suffering to obtain sympathy... Webster's dictionary.

I think it's high time someone slapped you upside the head and told you to get your act together, take responsibility for your actions and stop blaming everybody for your poor decisions.There isn't an attorney alive, except the idiot writing presidential tweets who would take your case.

I've read your saga, and I ain't buying what you're selling. You profess to have researched everything and yet don't even know the basics of your ICD or condition.

If you are such a fine physical speciman then get off your lazy butt and find a job you can handle to match your physical and mental capabilities.

Get a grip and stop making excuses, Mommy and Daddy aren't going to be around forever to babysit and coddle you.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » December 4th, 2017, 5:30 pm

I also have been following your thread and what I have seen has prevented me from replying, as I have nothing constructive or positive to say. If what you say is true, especially about your follow up and medical care, then I would be parking myself at the closest ICD clinic and not moving until I was seen and my issues addressed. I have no idea of how your medical/insurance issues work over there, and frankly never want to know, but the ball is in your court to work through these issues and get the care you need. I agree with Robbo, start being pro-active on your own behalf, and stop the whinging. You are in the wrong forum if you want sympathy, we are all fighters and get on with our lives, and quite frankly, personally I cannot understand your mindset and am too busy getting on with my life and looking after those that I care about on here and personally to give you much sympathy and stroke your ego.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

SpruceSniper

Post by SpruceSniper » December 4th, 2017, 6:59 pm

not looking to have my ego stroked, or sympathy for the situation. I saw quite a few of robo's posts before I came here and it's why I've only shared my full story when asked. More than anything I am here seeing if I can further educate myself on the path to removal since the whole time until now I haven't had to really push for it until I found out the CDL was a no-go; that only happened last year. Thus, I am more motivated than in years past.

Robo is pretty rough on folks, It's why I almost didn't join the forum, it's also why I don't have a response for his statements except to say that he doesn't know me and hasn't walked my path. I didn't want to open up specifically because I expected this kind of treatment. Oh well. I guess we all need that hard-hitting uncle to walk us out to the wood shed.

Interesting stuff. The race doesn't always go the the quickest, the contest not always to the strong, the revelations not always to the brightest. A man's fortune can change overnight.

We all have our reasons for being who we are and how we are. Maybe in his own ray, robo believes he's being supportive...I mean this is a support group I believe. That said I am a believer in tough love, and you only get to live life once. I'm not a fan of pity, just understanding. There is a difference.

I reckon getting into the EP is a pretty important next step, but I've been saying that for a bit now.

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » December 4th, 2017, 7:05 pm

ROBO daddy wrote:Get a grip and stop making excuses, Mommy and Daddy aren't going to be around forever to babysit and coddle you.
Now that response perfectly illustrates what happens when heart patients skip both their daily diuretic and stool softener pills.
SpruceSniper wrote:No, I have not gotten on obamacare.
Does that mean you have foregone allowing the guvment to (at least for now) help subsidize you medical insurance costs and gone without coverage?
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

SpruceSniper

Post by SpruceSniper » December 4th, 2017, 7:15 pm

mrag wrote:
December 4th, 2017, 7:05 pm
ROBO daddy wrote:Get a grip and stop making excuses, Mommy and Daddy aren't going to be around forever to babysit and coddle you.
Now that response perfectly illustrates what happens when heart patients skip both their daily diuretic and stool softener pills.
SpruceSniper wrote:No, I have not gotten on obamacare.
Does that mean you have foregone allowing the guvment to (at least for now) help subsidize you medical insurance costs and gone without coverage?

I have not.
In Alaska where I lived until October it was completely out of the question for me. The ethics of being coerced into purchasing it were another ball of wax entirely. I paid the fine. I can't get too much more in depth about reasoning without getting rabidly political-and I didn't come here for that. It's sufficient to say that politics aside, I had absolutely no monetary means to purchase it even if I wanted to. That said, I was lucky enough that the hospital is an LLC and they wrote off a few of my $100,000 bills, which was very fortunate.

Having an employer with health insurance is about the only way to go it seems :D

Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider » December 4th, 2017, 9:06 pm

That said, I was lucky enough that the hospital is an LLC and they wrote off a few of my $100,000 bills, which was very fortunate.
Oh dear God. So fortunate. And if they can do it as a pass through then that means even more money in there pocket. And quite smart of you to not get rabidly political here. So many with dumb thoughts and all.

SpruceSniper

Post by SpruceSniper » December 5th, 2017, 12:46 am

Rough Rider wrote:
December 4th, 2017, 9:06 pm
That said, I was lucky enough that the hospital is an LLC and they wrote off a few of my $100,000 bills, which was very fortunate.
Oh dear God. So fortunate. And if they can do it as a pass through then that means even more money in there pocket. And quite smart of you to not get rabidly political here. So many with dumb thoughts and all.
No kidding. If I was an SJW I would have gone with the politics of feelings on this. It's kind of sad to think that I've got two people telling me if I want sympathy I'm in the wrong place...the first thing you'd think of in a "support" group would be at least a listening ear-as that is part of what it means to support someone. Now that I have the information I want if I were to slither back under the rock I came from but that might please the narcissist in Robbo-who is a complete moron for labeling me a martyr-as I am far from it. The following poster was closer to reality-I am a fighter. I wouldn't be doing information gathering here if I wasn't. I'm hoping I can continue to gain the benefit of the collective experiences shared here without him muddying the waters with his dingleberry brain-as I have low tolerance for interference. Yes robbo I am talking to you-I don't care if you don't have something nice to say-I never followed that advice either, prick. But your contribution was worthless so I will simply discount any contribution you make in the future until you can show you have a mass behind your skull.

For the others who don't need stool softeners...I should probably point out I didn't mention the heart clinic treats me like I don't exist, for the sake of sympathy, but rather to relate that is the wall I am up against, so I view it as a logistical or tactical challenge to be overcome and was looking for my path around it. So far, I simply located an EP in Seattle who I told I didn't trust the Alaska EP and that they made obtaining my medical records so cost prohibitive for me that I couldn't justify their purchase. The workaround was to see if the Seattle EP could obtain them and she responded that usually yes, they can get them for free and I'd be best suited to get them that way prior to a consult appt. Maybe we can keep this thread alive for the purposes of chronicling an ICD removal from start to finish. We'll see how things go when I've gotten the means to pay for the doctor's visits...since I don't see fit to rely on mommy and daddy to pay for that-and nobody else seems to approve of my doing it either.

SpruceSniper

Post by SpruceSniper » December 5th, 2017, 2:15 am

I forgot Robo; regardless of the leaning in your partisanship, I would thank you to show respect for the Commander-in-Chief (at present, despite your chagrin) of our American Armed Forces.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 5th, 2017, 8:53 am

What you are getting here is support. Some of us just can't understand some of the roadblocks you have had or appeared to have had. You have disclosed information that seemed to appear that you are being treated and taking certain meds, prescribed by a doctor. What some of us are saying is that you need to start working on the solutions, which appear to be available to you, rather than on who treated you badly in the past.
Sometimes the goals we have are just not as available as we want. We need to reevaluate what we can do.
While I don't always agree with Robo Pop he will say it like it is. I do agree with that.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

SpruceSniper

Post by SpruceSniper » December 5th, 2017, 2:55 pm

freckles1880 wrote:
December 5th, 2017, 8:53 am
What you are getting here is support. Some of us just can't understand some of the roadblocks you have had or appeared to have had. You have disclosed information that seemed to appear that you are being treated and taking certain meds, prescribed by a doctor. What some of us are saying is that you need to start working on the solutions, which appear to be available to you, rather than on who treated you badly in the past.
Sometimes the goals we have are just not as available as we want. We need to reevaluate what we can do.
While I don't always agree with Robo Pop he will say it like it is. I do agree with that.

wavhi

Dissolving the mysteries are certainly a feature here. And calling it a frustrating journey is an understatement. I will update when there is a new development.

SpruceSniper

Post by SpruceSniper » December 5th, 2017, 6:51 pm

freckles1880 wrote:
December 5th, 2017, 8:53 am

wavhi
I should point out as far as disclosure of information, I believe you are referring to pain meds? I'm only taking tylenol and aleve for pain. I imagine as time goes by I will wind up on whatever it is they give to older folks. I'd prefer to hold off that as long as possible, as it clouds the mind.