It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 7:38 pm

GLUTEN/WHEAT INTOLERANCE CAN CAUSE IRREGULAR HEART RHYTHM! 

Post GLUTEN/WHEAT INTOLERANCE CAN CAUSE IRREGULAR HEART RHYTHM!
Hi everyone, wavhi

Tracey from Australia here, I haven't been on here since early 2011... I'm very slack but I just wanted to share some info with you all. I have HCM (Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy) and have for many years experienced PVC's, VT episodes etc. etc. I realise this comes with the heart disease, but I'd like to share some interesting observations I've made recently. I have for the last 10 yrs (at least) experienced heart 'flutters', missed beats and all sorts of things. But I have for the past 3-4 weeks been on a gluten/wheat free diet (to try and lose some weight) and to my astonishment, I have had barely a flutter. I can honestly say I've only had a couple of minor ones which was most likely caused from the champagne I drank on a few occasions. I 'googled' gluten intolerances and heart arrthmias and lo and behold, there was quite a few articles on this.

So if you're having these annoying PVC's, missed beats, whatever you like to call them, try going on a gluten/wheat free diet (and also sugar free if possible) and see what happens, you've got nothing to lose! But please if you go sugar free also, DO NOT use artificial sweeteners, they will make your heart flutters worse (they are poison!) If you must sweeten, use natural 'STEVIA'. Try the wheat/gluten free first and see what happens, then do sugar free. I used to find if I had too much sugar I would sometimes get rapid heartrate. Note that I am not doing sugar free just yet (one thing at a time) but have got great results so far just from gluten free.

ALSO, I am anxiety-free! Anxiety was also a HUGE issue for me, especially when I was having a bad run of heart 'flutters'.

I truly hope this can help some of you.

Take care everyone, and I hope to be back on here regularly.

Tracey,
Brisbane, Australia.
dancehearts

I love this website!

June 15th, 2012, 6:54 am

Post Re: GLUTEN/WHEAT INTOLERANCE CAN CAUSE IRREGULAR HEART RHYTHM!
well tracy.....i thought it was absolutely amazing to read your post this morning...considering the day i had yesterday...i have heart problems...rashes, various autoimmune diseases and kidney problems and cancers come and go......all caused in effect by an undiagnosed autoimmune disease......my mother was celiac...i have never been diagnosed as celiac...but a month or two ago i decided to try the glutenfree diet..and low and behold within 3 days i felt better than id felt in years......move story up to yesterday....i was on the run and decided to pick up lunch for my 4 year old granddaughter and got us a couple of wraps at macdonalds....within half an hour i was covered in contact dermatitis....felt like id swallowed a crate of ants...and have incredible headache and stomach upset.......i made it home in time to fall into bed cos id no energy......now i havent been diagnosed celiac but anyone who has the never to tell me im not reacting to the gluten gets a swift kick in their bum...this morning before i read your post i was doing searches on gluten and discovered without being diagnosed as having an alergy to it 1 in 100 people have very bad reactions and it causes more autoimmune diseases than anything on earth...my heart problems have already been diagnosed as caused by this autoimmune disease..

thank you for your post....it validated exactly what ive read this morning...and what i experienced since eating that wheat loaded wrap.....:)))

June 15th, 2012, 10:29 am
Profile E-mail

That's amazing, so glad to read your post. It's amazing how different you feel without wheat/gluten isn't it. I hope this will help others in some way. Would be interested to know if anyone else has done this diet. I don't like to call it a 'diet' as such, just a healthy eating plan. I've also cut out 'fast food' (because they usually involve bread of some sort and MSG) ... but I'll still get a nice curry or a gluten free pizza every now and then! Pizza Capers do great GF pizzas! Just no pepperoni or salami of any sort. My heart also reacts badly to to MSG which is in so many packaged foods (flavoured crisps or chips, packet soups etc.) Just remember MSG is disguised on labels as 'vegetable protein extract' and sometimes 'yeast extract' and is usually number 621 or 625. Read packaging carefully, they'll sneak it in there however they can!

I used to think when I had a coffee and cake that it was the coffee causing heart flutters (even though I only have it very weak). Turns out it wasn't the coffee, but the cake! So it's nice to still enjoy a cappucino and sometimes a GF treat! It's not all bad! :wink:

Cheers!
Tracey

I love this website!

June 15th, 2012, 10:11 pm

Tracey its like night and day being without the gluten.....and the difference came on so fast...i have to say i miss things like icecream....yoghurt....and being irish a meal isnt a meal without bread .....also the processed meats are off the table too....my whole family today are moving to a glutenfree diet too...my 2nd daughter and my 9 year old grandson have heart problems too....but they also seem to have some of the other odd things i have too...so were now on a trial run to see how things work for them without the gluten...

i was amazed when i read your post yesterday, but know what i used have exactly the same occurrence with the morning coffee........a couple of years ago i had an incident in ireland when i was on holiday there.....they didnt have time to transport me to the regular hospital so i ended up in the local mental hospital which had a small A&E for a couple of weeks...i was in the icu unit....and doing nuts cos im addicted to cofffee....so when i figured out how to escape...id take my IV pole, slippers, slip out and walk 15 mins up the street to the local garage and get 4 cups of coffee....two id drink standing there...the other two id carry back and sneak into the icu........id also have a huge slice of cake lol and a sandwhich cos the food in the hospital was absolutely terrible lol.........well after my trip a couple of days they noticed my heart was playing up .....bloodpressure raised etc etc...and they discovered i was sneaking out...and put a stop to my gallop.....also they decided i had a very bad reaction to caffine lol.....but peering out the window i got friendly with a local who came by every morning and passed me a flask of coffee in the window and i never had a reaction whatsoever to it...she also passed me in a smoke now and then lol........im totally surprised i never figured the cake connection till now lol......

oh instant coffee has gluten in it too..i didnt know that till i did a search on glutenfree items.

June 16th, 2012, 9:07 am
Profile E-mail

Now ya'll got me wondering if, in addition to the asthma, depression, eczema, etc., my beta blockers have also contributed to a gluten sensitivity. Last week I found our old bread machine and decided to try out some whole-wheat recipes. Now I'm wondering if the past few days' gastric distress are related? I'm going off wheat and other related foods for the next week to see if it all settles down.

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Maximo II
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3&p=57099#p57099

June 17th, 2012, 4:38 pm
Profile E-mail

ya know what ron....the worst couple of days i had ever just before i went on the gluten free diet...were because of my hubby and his breadmaker lol.....i thought i was dying...the bread was incredible...we ate more bread than ever too...lovely fresh warm bread....oh my god i suffered from it.....some of the glutenfree bread i get now is absolutely gross...but ive discovered a local bakery which produces it and its very bit as nice as regular bread..

Im really looking forward to talking to you after a week on the diet to see how it worked for you.....pasta is another thing you need to get.....the gluten free pasta is every bit as nice as the regular stuff..

keep us in the loop and good luck......

June 17th, 2012, 5:13 pm
Profile E-mail

A few months back I got off gluten, having read up on how it's just bad stuff. This led to reading up on Ketosis, which is pretty much the result of a low (no) carb diet. I've never been big on sugars so I cut out what little I was getting.

Just to be clear: No carbs, no gluten, no processed sugars.

I feel amazing. My digestion is way way way better, I'm sleeping better, and, best of all, I knocked off about 15 pounds like it was nothing -- mostly in fat, which was mostly around the belly.

I eat a lot of fats, it's about 75 percent of my calories, the remaining 25 is protein. Obviously you can't go without carbs, but I try to keep it below 25 grams a day.

As a caution, it took a little bit for my body to get used to it, but considering how I feel now it was oh so way worth it. (It also makes me thirsty; I'm drinking a lot more fluids now.)

"In the end, everything is just a gag," -- Charlie Chaplin

June 19th, 2012, 9:12 pm

amazing eh? i didnt cut out sugars...but i wasnt into sweet stuff that much anyways...but i did cut out anything at all that was processed cos much of the processed food has some form of gluten....wasnt as lucky as you though you dropped an amazing amount of weight ..i dropped 7lbs but after reading your post im hopeful...but besides the weight issue...the feel good from not eating gluten is amazing isnt it....so much energy.......im glad i did it.

June 19th, 2012, 10:10 pm
Profile E-mail

mykidsmom wrote:
amazing eh? i didnt cut out sugars...but i wasnt into sweet stuff that much anyways...but i did cut out anything at all that was processed cos much of the processed food has some form of gluten....wasnt as lucky as you though you dropped an amazing amount of weight ..i dropped 7lbs but after reading your post im hopeful...but besides the weight issue...the feel good from not eating gluten is amazing isnt it....so much energy.......im glad i did it.

Yeah, it's the best thing I've ever done.

"In the end, everything is just a gag," -- Charlie Chaplin

June 20th, 2012, 9:09 am

Wow, this is great to hear all this. I'm so glad I posted, even if it inspires one person to try it, it'll be worth it. I also remember my birthday last year my friend treated me to a "High Tea" and it was all those mini cakes and sandwiches etc. And boy, did I suffer the next day. Doubled over in pain, diarreah(?), it was horrible. And also (Trucker Ron), you may be right about the beta blockers too, they could have an effect on our tolerance to gluten.

At first you feel like you're missing out a bit, but most places these days have gluten free choices on the menu, and you can Google lots of GF recipes too. You can pretty much make anything but just substitute with GF flour instead of wheat flour. Easy! And, don't forget the sugar substitute "Stevia", if you can manage that at the same time. (I'm trying but failing some days!)

Good luck everyone, enjoy your "Gluten Free" lifestyle ... you'll feel much better for it, I promise!

Cheers ..
Tracey

I love this website!

June 21st, 2012, 7:45 am

so a week of glutenfree diet and the family are all thrilled healthier and saying theyve more energy my daughter is getting absolutely no heart palpitations and the 9 year old has been able to hold his own in this incredible heat weve been having and the 6 year old is rash free for the first time ever i think.....but its been torture for me trying to keep them gluten free lol.. and im exhausted cooking and keeping them off processed foods.....i think if i wasnt behind their backs all the time watching them theyd be gobbling macdonalds burgers lol..

anyways im staying with it..havent felt this good in years just dont know if i have the energy to keep up the watchdog job all the time..

June 22nd, 2012, 1:04 pm
Profile E-mail

Because of a tight personal budget and the offer of two free meals (a box lunch and a dinner at a restaurant with no gluten-free offerings) I "fell off the wagon" Wednesday after 3 days without gluten. Twenty-four hours later I again experienced the endless burping and, this morning, was hit with the more distressing symptoms.

So, when I head out on my little overnight trip next Monday to meet with my chaplaincy chapter, I'm going to have my menu and restaurants/grocery store visits planned out in advance so I can stay gluten-free for a full 10 days before I experiment one last time with gluten.

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Maximo II
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3&p=57099#p57099

June 22nd, 2012, 7:03 pm
Profile E-mail

good for you ron....i had the same experience when i fell off the wagon for a macdonalds wrap...if you know where your going to be eating its easy to look online most places have their menu listed...well the usual suspects do anyways lol...so shouldnt be too difficult to work around the diet....one thing though be careful of those salad dressings many of them have hidden ingredients as i found out today.....good luck im dying to hear how your trip worked out when you get back.....

much easier to stay off the gluten when you know exactly how bad it makes you feel eh....my daughter today fell off the diet..and she just called me shes back having palpitations again and she said she had one really bad attack of SVT.....thats how fast the gluten affected her system..

June 22nd, 2012, 8:52 pm
Profile E-mail

I'm hearing you all re the 'falling off the wagon' ... Yesterday I had to go to a fund raising 'High Tea' and naturally there was miniature cakes, sandwiches etc, and of course no gluten free anywhere! Luckily I had taken a couple of gluten free things for myself but couldn't resist some of the lovely things they had, frittata (with flour), caramel slice (biscuit base) and these beautiful mini cupcakes. Well, that night driving home (approx. 3 hrs after eating), along came a few minor heart flutters. Luckily I hadn't eaten too much but it just shows that it doesn't take long for it to affect you! Back to gluten free now. By the way, my sinuses are really sore today also, I wonder if that's the gluten too ... more than likely!

Tracey

I love this website!

June 24th, 2012, 11:27 pm

tracy my daughter louise has had heart problems for years....SVT attacks being really bad.....and when she fell off the wagon the other day back came the attacks with a vengeance..my reaction to the gluten was almost immediate when i had the macdonalds thingy last week.......and today another friend of mine arrived in saying shed tried the gluten free diet last week and hasnt had any issues with her heart since.....i tell ya this gluten thing is a biggie i think in how our bodies process it......ive never been diagnosed with celiac disease have you?? but i sure as hell know i cant eat it anymore....going out can be a pain in the butt lol.....i was in a restraunt the other day and they announced the only glutenfree item on their menu was ketchup lol.....so have to start bringing my own stuff eh..

how are you getting on ron?? hope its working out for you..

June 25th, 2012, 12:05 pm
Profile E-mail