MRI question

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

Ozchrissy

MRI question

Post by Ozchrissy » August 7th, 2018, 8:45 pm

My daughter has a metal plate in her neck. She broke the C2 & C3 Vertebrae about 4 months ago. She is having an MRI tomorrow, and they say it is safe for her to have it. They have to check her neck, so they will be scanning the area directly affected by the plate. I am wondering how she can have an MRI, with a larger amount of metal in her body, than us. Has anyone had a MRI since having their device. I know they have new types of leads that are MRI compatible, so what sort of leads do we actually have, what metal etc. etc. Just confused and really interested to know why.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

Leah

Re: MRI question

Post by Leah » August 7th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Hi- I would make sure that it is really nesscary to have an MRI and find out if the doctor who put the plate on her neck will be there too? How is Lauren doing? How’s she feeling?

Leah

Post by Leah » August 7th, 2018, 9:40 pm

Chrissy - I just did a google. It says Lauren can have an MRI if the plate been in for 4 to 6 weeks. Hope this help.

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » August 8th, 2018, 10:00 am

Chrissy, whether Lauren can safely have an MRI scan depends on several things, such as the materials in her plate (nonferrous metals vs steel), its size, what it's attached to, etc. The problem most of us would have comes from the length of the leads to our devices. They're often long enough that being in a strong magnetic field can induce currents in the wires that might damage an ICD or pacemaker (or the person!) unless protective steps are taken.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/mri-scan/who-can-have-it/
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

Leah

Post by Leah » August 9th, 2018, 9:29 am

Hi Chrissy-
How’s Lauren? How was her MRI? What was the findings on it? Hope everything went well.

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » August 9th, 2018, 8:13 pm

Thanks Leah and Ron, Lauren's plate is titanium and she breezed through the scan, never felt a thing. They are checking as they don't think the neck has fused completely, where we go from here I haven't a clue. She gets that news on Monday and we will just have to go with the flow.

Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » August 10th, 2018, 10:22 am

That's great news Chrissy. Hopefully they'll have some more positive news for Lauren soon.

Titanium, which by the way your ICD or CRT housing is made of, is only weakly ferro magnetic. In English, it's not really affected by magnetic fields and doesn't create an eddy current when a magnet passes over it. Titanium is used in most medical appliances like joints and heart devices because of it's durability, strength and shielding capabilities. I may have mentioned before, in a former life, my company developed scanning magnetic microscope technology (very similar to MRI) for use in semiconductor microscopy and medical applications. We worked with John's Hopkins on scanning the human body. You'd be surprised how much magnetic field is present in your body.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » August 10th, 2018, 7:33 pm

So following on from there Robbo, does that mean that our leads are not titanium?? Also I have bare metal stents as my cardiologist will not use any other type, and staples in my body still from my surgery, so does that mean that all these things are the wrong type of metal????? You would think they could get around that knowing that sick people do need these scans. Or i suppose I am jealous, I have never had one. wavhi wavhi

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » August 13th, 2018, 11:02 am

rest assured your leads are not titanium. That metal is a particularly poor electrical conductor and in fact is a better insulator. If you had titanium leads, it would take a week for your device to get word from the other end that you needed to be defibrillated and then another week for the electrical signal to hit your heart.

For the most part as long as they know what you have in your body they can compensate and use a proper protocol for the MRI set-up. I passed this along several years ago but I'll try and remember the gist...the head of radiology for our major hospital here told me he does an average of 3 MRI's per month on hearts of people who have old devices and leads with no problem. They have a special protocol for that. The MRI scare is A) a sales technique by device manufacturer's and B) CYA cover your assets.

Finally, there are other options besides MRI's. Don't you wonder why you never needed an MRI in all your plentiful years before and now suddenly it's a big deal? Why there's even faith healers who don't need no stinking machines for that matter. I don't think they have a negative effect on the old equipment. lmao4dx :sick030:
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » August 14th, 2018, 6:54 am

You are so right Robbo, I do wonder why my little brain hasn't wondered about this before. Maybe I need a life. It is just that with Lauren it became relevant. Although I know a few people who have MRI's for hearts, but heck they were able to do my procedure for the valve without it, so yes, I really don't know why I am even talking about this. lmao4dx lmao4dx lmao4dx lmao4dx