What's a good heartrate monitor smart/fitness watch?

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

mkk

What's a good heartrate monitor smart/fitness watch?

Post by mkk » June 13th, 2018, 2:16 pm

Hi. I recently had a S-ICD implanted. I want to know more about my heart and was looking into getting a heartrate monitor watch/bracelet/etc. I would prefer that monitoring is continuous and can store at least a day's worth of data. On-demand heartrate monitoring is less desirable, but not useless.

I haven't found much through search. While there are some that do "continuous" monitoring, they're usually for watches that go into workout mode. Other watches that claim continuous monitoring don't actually monitor continuously, only intermittently. For what it's worth, I have other considerations such as size and weight, cost, method of charging, compatible apps, etc. BP and oximeter is a plus, if accurate.

If anyone has such a heartrate monitor and have things you like/dislike about it, please share. I also welcome other advice on learning about the tendencies of one's heart when at rest/exercise/etc.

Thanks,
mkk

mykidsmom

Re: What's a good heartrate monitor smart/fitness watch?

Post by mykidsmom » June 13th, 2018, 2:59 pm

the one you havent bought hehe.....reason im saying this is..been there done that and all i got for my trouble was more stress and anxiety....do you really wanna know what your heart is doing every second? i dumped the watch after about a month of horrific stress with it..

we just dumped my grandsons fitbit last week for the exact reason it was causing him to go into AFIB
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

DebW

Post by DebW » June 13th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Hi mkk! And welcome =)
I have an apple watch to watch my heart rate. It works for me, because I like to keep an eye on it. I think it is just what a person likes, and I am getting accustomed to how my heart rate runs.

mkk

Post by mkk » June 13th, 2018, 4:32 pm

Thanks DebW. Unfortunately, I don't have an iPhone and I have no inclination to pay Apple prices. hehe.

I just want to know what my heart rate is when I'm going about my daily activities. If I'm finding that my heart rate is too close to the parameters set in the S-ICD, I'd adjust my activity or ask my doctor to adjust the S-ICD. In a perfect world, the heartrate monitor will tell me when I'm going into v-tach or v-fib so I know to sit down before I pass out or get zapped. My last syncope (which was also my first), I got 12 stitches in my face: 7 in lips, 5 on nose which was also broken.

DebW

Post by DebW » June 13th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Oh man, sorry to hear that!!! I bet you would like to know if you are gonna pass out. A lot of people use a fitbit. Some say the readings are off a little bit. And I agree about the Apple prices, they are terrible. =(

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » June 13th, 2018, 9:42 pm

When I got my device a decade ago I wanted a monitoring type watch. And then I wanted a bracelet that said I had an ICD and a little later I was thinking a chest tattoo saying "ICD is right here.' Never got any of those. Two or three years ago there was an iPhone accessory that would allow one to get an EKG reading on the spot. Didn't get that either.

IMHO your device should be set to a rate far above anything you could normally get to be it cleaning or running. Do you know where your device will fire (BPM)?
The basic way to calculate your maximum heart rate is to subtract your age from 220. For example, if you're 45 years old, subtract 45 from 220 to get a maximum heart rate of 175. This is the maximum number of times your heart should beat per minute during exercise.
My device is set to fire at 198 BPM. My calculated maximum heart rate is like 150. That's a lot of leeway. Still want a monitor?

Meanwhile I just saw an add for a "smart watch." Maybe I'll give some thought to getting one myself. Not for heart monitoring any longer, but for messaging. Apparently you can get them for under $70 now. (link not an endorsement, only a reference)
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

mkk

Post by mkk » June 16th, 2018, 6:39 pm

Hi mrag. My doctor said it's set to fire if heart rate is sustained over 210bpm for several seconds. I have no overt structural heart defects with good EF (65%), so I'm glad he set the parameters high to minimize inappropriate shocks.

But I still want a monitor just so I know more about my heart, especially if I'm exercising (I'm a former adrenaline junkie) or playing games/watching movies (I like horror genre). Ideally the monitor will pick up arrythmias, even if ICD doesn't shock, so I can try to figure out if there's any behavioral triggers that I can change (caffeine intake, stress, etc).

I picked up a very inexpensive fitness tracker for the time being, and from my testing the heart rate monitoring is as accurate as a Samsung smart watch. I'm looking to get something more reliable as these watches become more advanced and less expensive.