Update on our members

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

Ozchrissy

Re: Update on our members

Post by Ozchrissy » April 7th, 2018, 6:47 pm

Another show off with a brilliant successful life. Sounds fantastic Melissa. Success stories are just so good to hear. I honestly believe that it is the parents that should run away with teenagers. I did adolescent foster care for a few years, and it was a very interesting time. I am sure I got a few grey hairs out of that. My own daughter though was a real dream. (Or have I forgotten it all now) lmao4dx lmao4dx

You must be so proud of your daughter, a big transition in their lives and yours. Your future is secure with her studying Nursing. wavhi

Europe, how exciting. Be sure to say hello to Miss Mona for me.

:big-hug: :big-hug: :big-hug:

Thanks H, considering our hearts are only the size of our fists, it is amazing to think so many leads are in there. Glad to hear though that they can be left alone, I worry about my 3rd lead, on the outside in a vein, could be removed. Obviously it probably will not need to be.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

gijss

Post by gijss » April 9th, 2018, 2:47 pm

After my cerebral infarction December 26, 2017 I was in hospital for a week, then in revalidation centre, internal for 5 weeks, now revalidation from home.
Revalidation implies
- physiotherapy (training, fitness) to improve strength / walking / stairs / riding a bicycle
- occupational therapy to (re-)learn typing, writing, drawing, cooking and so on
- speech therapy

Therapy is on 4 days / week, total about 9 session / week. And homework.
I get a lot of compliments by therapists for the hard work and high motivation, and it has brought me a lot, faster than they expected.
After Christmas I could not walk on my own, not talk and not use my right hand (and I am right-handed).
In 3 months of therapy I can walk (5 km), ride bicycle (yesterday 38 km), type, write (my name since end of February) and I can say this all.
Expectation is that most therapy will end next 6-12 weeks.
My name is Gijs but in English you can call me Gilbert as this might be easier te remember :-)

SCA Nov 13, 2004, shocked Sep 2 (2x) & 5 2005, Dec 31 2005, May 20 2006, Dec 29 2008, Oct 31 2009 and April 6 2010 (3x). 'Repaired' by epicardial ablation April 16th, 2010.
First ICD Guidant Vitallity, second (May 16, 2012) Boston Scientific Energen ICD

garya

Post by garya » April 9th, 2018, 3:12 pm

@Gilbert, that is such encouraging news to read. Not just that you personally are doing so well, but to hear that it's possible others can also experience excellent recoveries.

Curious as to how much all this therapy is costing you? It must be very expensive.

gijss

Post by gijss » April 9th, 2018, 3:33 pm

Cost for me are, apart for parking and travel (if less than 1000km) in total EUR 385, above normal insurance. Which is the maximum own contribution per year. Yes, we have an excelent health system in The Netherlands.
My name is Gijs but in English you can call me Gilbert as this might be easier te remember :-)

SCA Nov 13, 2004, shocked Sep 2 (2x) & 5 2005, Dec 31 2005, May 20 2006, Dec 29 2008, Oct 31 2009 and April 6 2010 (3x). 'Repaired' by epicardial ablation April 16th, 2010.
First ICD Guidant Vitallity, second (May 16, 2012) Boston Scientific Energen ICD

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » April 9th, 2018, 4:28 pm

gijss ~ Did I pronounce that right? Glad to hear you have been doing so well with your recovery. We're looking forward to you being here more often. Take care
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » April 9th, 2018, 4:37 pm

Gilbert wrote:Yes, we have an excelent health system in The Netherlands.
Yea, sure about the cheap medical insurance and all, but how many nuclear missiles do you have?
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » April 9th, 2018, 8:53 pm

What wonderful news Gilbert, that is so encouraging. I honestly believe that the road to recovery is ASSISTED by the medical profession, but the rest is done by the person involved, and their determination. You are a great role model for us all.

Your typing of your text is brilliant, you would never guess that this was impossible for you just 4 months ago. I have a friend who had a brain tumor removed and she was very similar to you after it. The damage was extensive and she has not recovered 100% though. However, her brain and personality are intact, and although she is a bit wobbly booted, and has problems with some fine motor skills, she is brilliant. I feel that what happened to you and her would be such a frustrating experience. To not be able to control your own body, but still have your full brain power and will, would be something that would be hard to cope with.

I really admire you for what you have achieved and will achieve. Keep going my friend, we are here to support you when you need it.

:big-hug: :big-hug: :big-hug: :big-hug: :big-hug:
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

wedge542

Post by wedge542 » April 16th, 2018, 10:03 pm

Sorry to hear about BOB,i come by every few months to read,as before still no icd,had 2 more mi since my last post on this site,ef to low to think about,afib sometimes 24/7 so about to start the ablation road,new drs,same drugs. On a good note lungs at 70% cap. Still trying to get this lasix under control,how much how often and such.
MARK =roll tide

Jim and Sparky

Post by Jim and Sparky » April 17th, 2018, 4:22 am

Hi all and congrats to many of you for new grandkids and other significant life events.

Just finishing up on a hectic work season for me and looking forward to a few days off. My heart is doing well, 7 yrs now on my ICD, possible replacement in 3 yrs.

Have now done about 3 months of chemo for prostate cancer (there’s a fun bunch of side effects to that), and will start radiation treatments in a couple of weeks. At this point the prognosis still seems good, just having to do some very annoying treatment.

My granddaughter turns 3 tomorrow. My wife and I occasionally kidnap her and play with her, lots of fun.

Recently lost a sister that had Alzheimer’s. Her last few years were pretty tough. Sort of a blessing that she is now free of the many frustrations she had.

Good to hear from many of you but sorry to hear about Bob. Take Care all!

Jim (and the relatively quiet, but infamous Sparky)
MI 1/21/11; SCA's 2/3/11 and 2/4/11
I have a Boston Scientific Teligen ICD and a Boston Scientific Promus stent,
I guess my cardiologist is sort of a BS kind of guy.

Two rules to live by:
1) Don't sweat the small stuff!
2) It's all small stuff!

My Intro is on this page: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 917#p74917