Device replacement

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Device replacement

Post by abas » March 12th, 2018, 5:38 pm

My first plain old ICD device lasted just over 5 years. It was a nice device and provided me like 8 therapies that I always fondly appreciated. It also paced me a lot. I thought I read here somewhere that each "shock" takes off about 3 months of battery life?

I am now approaching 7 years on my current CRT with 100% pacing and no shocks.

It would seem based on a very un-SWAG, that battery life has improved by 50 percent during the last decade and that I can pretty much be assured to reserve a room now for my replacement device in the very near future.

Post by Melissa » March 13th, 2018, 8:04 pm

At work my boss was joking around and asked me when I was going in for my "tune up" and "regularly scheduled maintenance". LOL. But we also started talking about battery life of the ICD and how they now have cell phone that can be charged wirelessly. Wouldn't it be awesome if they developed an ICD with a battery could be recharged wirelessly? I imagine it like this: You would go in once a year for 6 hours or so and they would hold up the charging base to your device and recharge you enough for the next year. THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME! Please someone tell me they are working on this. Or maybe I just gave away my million dollar idea.
Melissa - dx cardiomyopathy in 2004 due to childhood chemotherapy; Boston Scientific CRT-D implanted 8/10, meds: Toprol XL 100mg/day

Post by Leah » March 13th, 2018, 8:13 pm

I think they have no wire device out there. I am how ever not a candatie for that because I already have a wire 1 lead. Make Sense?

Post by Ozchrissy » March 16th, 2018, 12:19 am

Good luck Melissa, my old BS CRT-D lasted 6 years, this one is already past that date, and last interrogation gave me upward of 4 years to go. I am actually jealous, because mine is lasting so long I am missing out on all the new innovations of the newer models. Mind you I have not had an issue with my devices (on my 2nd) and it is over 12 years now. I have had BS all the way.

Also I have got my old angel sitting in my bedside drawer. I figured that I wanted it as it served me so well, and saved me a few times, so I feel it is part of me. Also an interesting talking point if you have friends/relatives who are brave enough to see something that has been in you. dancee dancee
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.