Device replacement

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

abas

Re: Device replacement

Post by abas » March 12th, 2018, 5:38 pm

My first plain old ICD device lasted just over 5 years. It was a nice device and provided me like 8 therapies that I always fondly appreciated. It also paced me a lot. I thought I read here somewhere that each "shock" takes off about 3 months of battery life?

I am now approaching 7 years on my current CRT with 100% pacing and no shocks.

It would seem based on a very un-SWAG, that battery life has improved by 50 percent during the last decade and that I can pretty much be assured to reserve a room now for my replacement device in the very near future.

Melissa

Post by Melissa » March 13th, 2018, 8:04 pm

At work my boss was joking around and asked me when I was going in for my "tune up" and "regularly scheduled maintenance". LOL. But we also started talking about battery life of the ICD and how they now have cell phone that can be charged wirelessly. Wouldn't it be awesome if they developed an ICD with a battery could be recharged wirelessly? I imagine it like this: You would go in once a year for 6 hours or so and they would hold up the charging base to your device and recharge you enough for the next year. THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME! Please someone tell me they are working on this. Or maybe I just gave away my million dollar idea.
Melissa - dx cardiomyopathy in 2004 due to childhood chemotherapy; Boston Scientific CRT-D implanted 8/10, meds: Toprol XL 100mg/day, aldactone 25mg/day. Second ICD implanted 3/18, also Boston Scientific CRT-D

Leah

Post by Leah » March 13th, 2018, 8:13 pm

I think they have no wire device out there. I am how ever not a candatie for that because I already have a wire 1 lead. Make Sense?
Leah

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » March 16th, 2018, 12:19 am

Good luck Melissa, my old BS CRT-D lasted 6 years, this one is already past that date, and last interrogation gave me upward of 4 years to go. I am actually jealous, because mine is lasting so long I am missing out on all the new innovations of the newer models. Mind you I have not had an issue with my devices (on my 2nd) and it is over 12 years now. I have had BS all the way.

Also I have got my old angel sitting in my bedside drawer. I figured that I wanted it as it served me so well, and saved me a few times, so I feel it is part of me. Also an interesting talking point if you have friends/relatives who are brave enough to see something that has been in you. dancee dancee
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

Jack Zappa

Post by Jack Zappa » March 19th, 2018, 5:01 pm

Best wishes on a smooth replacement surgery.
Jack Zappa

Melissa

Post by Melissa » March 22nd, 2018, 8:10 am

Well, device was replaced yesterday, all went smoothly and the pain level is actually pretty low today. I probably could have gone to work, but I opted to take the day off. The only real issue was that it took them 6 tries to get my IV going. Dang, I never felt more like a pin cushion. Now today I will be setting up my new home monitor that doesn't require a land line! Yea!!!! And once I get it set up I will cancel our home phone service. Been waiting to do that for 4 or 5 years now. My old device lasted 7.5 years. They estimated that with my current settings the new device would last 8.5 years. Improvement, but not as much as I would have liked.
Melissa - dx cardiomyopathy in 2004 due to childhood chemotherapy; Boston Scientific CRT-D implanted 8/10, meds: Toprol XL 100mg/day, aldactone 25mg/day. Second ICD implanted 3/18, also Boston Scientific CRT-D

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » March 22nd, 2018, 8:26 am

Melissa wrote:
March 22nd, 2018, 8:10 am
Now today I will be setting up my new home monitor that doesn't require a land line! Yea!!!! And once I get it set up I will cancel our home phone service. Been waiting to do that for 4 or 5 years now. My old device lasted 7.5 years. They estimated that with my current settings the new device would last 8.5 years. Improvement, but not as much as I would have liked.
First of all I am happy it went well. My second unit also was a snap.
The new home monitor is GREAT. It finds a signal and sends in the information. No type of phone line necessary. Also you can check to see how many "signal bars" you have. I understand that it takes very few of them. I did take the unit to Alaska last MAY and had no issues.

Good luck.

wavhi

4EverHopeful

Post by 4EverHopeful » March 23rd, 2018, 12:42 pm

Glad to hear all went well Melissa! dancehearts
Funny thing is I dread the IV "implant" more than the actual surgery. Those things hurt!! Had my unit replaced last September. Kept same monitor, but they did upgrade it to cell signal from landline. Am going to keep the old outdated landline partly because sentimentally have had same number for over 40 years plus I don't like to give out my cell number to everybody. Especially shopping online, they always ask for a phone number for shipment info, so I give them home phone and let answer machine take messages.
Phyllis

God's prescription for the heart:
O LORD, You have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit
down or stand up. You know my every thought when far away. You chart the path ahead of me
and tell me where to stop and rest. Every moment You know where I am.
Psalm 139:1-3

Non-ischemic DCM 09/11
PVCs, LBBB, leaky mitral valve
St Judes CRT-D (Bubba) 02/12; (Bubba II) 09/17
EF 20% 09/11; 25% 07/12; 35% 02/16
Failed PVC Ablation 11/12
Coreg, Zestril, Asprin, Aldactone, Lasix, Zocor, Levothroid
viewtopic.php?p=87649#p87649

garya

Post by garya » March 23rd, 2018, 12:48 pm

Did they knock you out? Seems if they are going to knock you out anyway, why not put the IV line in then. Can you tell I am not big on needles either probably because I have lousy veins and it takes multiple stabbings to get connected.

Glad to hear things went well. NO! Will I be the first to beat up that overused phrase

:armdown:

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » March 23rd, 2018, 1:14 pm

garya wrote:
March 23rd, 2018, 12:48 pm
Did they knock you out? Seems if they are going to knock you out anyway, why not put the IV line in then. Can you tell I am not big on needles either probably because I have lousy veins and it takes multiple stabbings to get connected.

Glad to hear things went well. NO! Will I be the first to beat up that overused phrase

:armdown:
The same thing happens with me sometimes. The nurse missed twice, so they wheeled me in and let the anesthesiologist do it.
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

Jack Zappa

Post by Jack Zappa » March 24th, 2018, 11:31 am

Glad things went well Melissa. As for the IV's, that has always been one of my least favorite things about being in the hospital. When I had my first device put in, I ended up with phlebitis from a bad stick.....my left arm felt like a rock for almost three months.... take care.
Jack Zappa

Teddy Jam@44

Post by Teddy Jam@44 » March 26th, 2018, 11:00 am

Glad everything went well Melissa, I have mine coming up in a few years. Not looking forward to it but have to get it done.