Flu Season 2018-So What R U Doing?

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

garya

Flu Season 2018-So What R U Doing?

Post by garya » February 9th, 2018, 10:10 pm

Got my flu shot back in September. Now understand it might only be 10-30 percent effective and this is a real bad flu season. Those are bad numbers. In fact we still have several weeks to go before the season peaks and even little (healthy) kids are succumbing to the flu. Imagine what the flu could do to us mature, heart challenged types?

For myself, if I can possibly avoid it, I now skip getting into any crowds. And unless I get really, really sick, I am going to avoid going to any doctors office. Want to find sick people or germs, go to a doctors office or a school. This includes routine followups, interrogations, annual blood work, etc.

http://www.newser.com/story/255208/10-m ... inues.html

Guess I should buy some extra soap and practice singing Happy Birthday also.

freckles1880

Re: Flu Season 2018-So What R U Doing?

Post by freckles1880 » February 10th, 2018, 9:17 am

This whole flu thing is scary. Ozchrissy brought it up many months ago that they were having the issue in Australia. Seems like we could have worked on a better solution.
Locally they are telling us to get the shot anyway. I think they want to use up the old supply. Don't shake hands, stay away from the sick people, don't over exercise.

Basically become a hermit like me. If you go nowhere and do nothing, keep your caregiver away from others, you may survive.

I just don't understand why it takes so long to get the upgrade shot.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 53+ years and my daughters.

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » February 11th, 2018, 11:18 am

Got the shot

got the flu

Got an infection

Got cured

Waiting for round 2
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » February 11th, 2018, 2:54 pm

Just saw an interesting comment om Twitter about the flu. I have not verified it one way or another, but expect it to be true.
The flu is currently killing people at 5x the rate of the opioid crisiss.
Samuel Sinyangwe added,
TIME
Verified account
@TIME
The flu is killing up to 4,000 Americans a week
http://ti.me/2CeqSUg
11:02 PM - 10 Feb 2018
One would think the Fake News media would be all over this story.
Despite repeated requests, my avatar was not painted by ROBO

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » February 11th, 2018, 3:58 pm

ROBO Pop wrote:
February 11th, 2018, 11:18 am
Got the shot

got the flu

Got an infection

Got cured

Waiting for round 2
This scenario sounds far too familiar Robbo. I know that because of last year. This year I will be doing all of the above that everyone has suggested and more, and even though I will look a dork, if I have to go into crowded areas, a face mask or some way to protect my breathing will be used. I always now have a small bottle of hand wash or wipes with me and I really do become a hermit. I got my first chest infection in April, and it took me to November to start feeling on top of it all. Just one bug after another. It peaked over here about September, so I am not sure of how that will relate to you, but our seasons are reversed.

We knew the vaccine was no good half way through the year last year, but it does seem the vaccine was just used again. This wasn't just us consumers saying it was no good, this was the Health Department saying it, so I cannot imagine the mentality of then releasing it in the US and Overseas without adjusting the formula accordingly. Something very wrong somewhere.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

Melissa

Post by Melissa » February 12th, 2018, 7:07 am

Our church has had us stop shaking hands at the beginning of mass and they are not using a communal cup for communion distribution right now. I have been trying to wash my hands more after I have been in public and in waiting rooms and at church I try to sit far away from the crowd, but this is not always possible. I spent all day Saturday jammed into the bleachers at our local high school watching my daughter compete in a dance competition. Sometimes, you just have to live life and not worry about it too much.
Melissa - dx cardiomyopathy in 2004 due to childhood chemotherapy; Boston Scientific CRT-D implanted 8/10, meds: Toprol XL 100mg/day

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » February 12th, 2018, 5:03 pm

Melissa wrote:
February 12th, 2018, 7:07 am
Our church has had us stop shaking hands at the beginning of mass and they are not using a communal cup for communion distribution right now. I have been trying to wash my hands more after I have been in public and in waiting rooms and at church I try to sit far away from the crowd, but this is not always possible. I spent all day Saturday jammed into the bleachers at our local high school watching my daughter compete in a dance competition. Sometimes, you just have to live life and not worry about it too much.
hmm my church asked me to stop coming...I don't think it had anything to do with flu though.

I ran up to the pharmacy to pick up some heart meds and the lovely lady standing in line ahead of me had her lovely young child in tow. Said lovely child was hacking, coughing, sneezing and otherwise sharing her disease with everyone within the mega store by handling items on the display shelves. Not to worry lovely Mommy informed the Pharmacist, the doctor said it's just a case of the flu. Thank God it's only the flu and nothing serious like ... :sick030:
Broken Heart

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » February 12th, 2018, 9:10 pm

Don't you love Mummys and their little darlings, sharing their illness with everyone. :bang: :bang: :bang: It is like the waitress who doesn't want to let the crew down so comes to work, the kitchen hand who only coughs in the kitchen, the office worker who believes the place would fall apart if they don't go to work when sick, etc. etc. There needs to be a complete mind change with regard to these flu's this year. I honestly believe that 50% of our population got it, and it is debilitating, let alone life threatening.

Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,

KansasAl

Post by KansasAl » February 12th, 2018, 10:49 pm

To heck with the flu.
ROBO Pop wrote:
February 12th, 2018, 5:03 pm
I ran up to the pharmacy to pick up some heart meds
I want to know what heart meds Robo takes that allow him to run to the pharmacy. :runn:

I've been in the ER & hospital twice in the last three weeks and about half the people in the waiting room were coughing and looking miserable. Once in my room the first thing they give you is a nasal swab kit. Turns out the first stay I had "human metapneumovirus". Everybody that entered my room had to mask, glove and gown up. I gather that most of the patients in the hospital had some kind of respiratory bug or flu and they were trying to contain them.

abas

Post by abas » February 13th, 2018, 7:32 am

Hospitals do not sound like fun anymore. You say half the people looked miserable, were the other half dancing?

So there is a killer outbreak of flu with a flu vaccine that doesn't work very well this year at all. What happened?

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » February 13th, 2018, 9:53 am

KansasAl wrote:
February 12th, 2018, 10:49 pm
To heck with the flu.
ROBO Pop wrote:
February 12th, 2018, 5:03 pm
I ran up to the pharmacy to pick up some heart meds
I want to know what heart meds Robo takes that allow him to run to the pharmacy.
Lasix of course...I keep going and going and going...
abas wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 7:32 am
So there is a killer outbreak of flu with a flu vaccine that doesn't work very well this year at all. What happened?
What you didn't hear about the death panels...they're culling the herd. :duh:

There's a father and son who walk at the indoor track where my wife and I went. I say that in past tense as I haven't been able to go in some time but my wife still does. Anyway the son is my age and the dad a spry 95. Now dad didn't move very fast but him and his cane would make a couple traverses then stop to catch his breath and go again until he'd done his mile or 12 laps. My bride ran into the son last night at the gym, he looked like crap. Shared that his dad had contracted the flu over Christmas and passed away.

Sad when you think about all that man had to overcome in his long lifetime that a simple ailment like the flu that should be little more than an annoyance should rob him of life. Nice old guy. We had some fascinating discussions made more so by his near total deafness. What he thought you said could be hilarious at times.
Broken Heart

dick

Post by dick » February 13th, 2018, 6:34 pm

Shared that his dad had contracted the flu over Christmas and passed away.
All things considered, hope it was quick. What is the saying, good health is simply the slowest form of dying?
killer outbreak of flu with a flu vaccine that doesn't work very well this year at all. What happened?
What happened? You don't get out much do you?

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » February 13th, 2018, 8:00 pm

As some of you may know, I moved into an independent living complex. Best idea I have ever had, best of all worlds. Anyway, we lost 4 residents during Winter last year, all from the flu. Mind you they were all above 80, but all were active and involved in life. The rest of the complex, about 50% were confined to their homes and had meals delivered daily. There are only about 60 of us living here, so this is a microcosm of what is happening out there. It didn't matter how old or young you were either, the Influenza A virus is not discriminatory.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » February 14th, 2018, 9:27 am

I met with my social worker yesterday and he noted that all of the nurses he works with cannot visit any patients if they (the nurse) has any cold or appears sick. Some of this seems just a little late. I still don't understand why they are not coming up with a new SHOT.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 53+ years and my daughters.

Leah

Post by Leah » February 14th, 2018, 10:11 am

Hi Bob,
How are you feeling? Any updates? I think of you often .