What Heart Prescription Drugs Are Americans Taking?

Posts from Jan. 1, 2017 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

What Heart Prescription Drugs Are Americans Taking?

Post by mrag » November 14th, 2017, 10:23 pm

Currently I am able to use all generics. Metoprolol, Ramipril, Simvastatin, Lasix. As generics they are inexpensive and the drug insurance premium is low. However prices, co-pays and deductibles skyrocket when you hit brand names like Entresto ($461.84) or Eliquis ($388.19). Just trying to get a feel for what someday I may have to buy. My EP has already recommended Eliquis (like Pradaxa or Xaralto). So what brand drugs (and pricing if known) are you swallowing?
nonsense area-does anyone even read this area any more

doogie55

Re: What Heart Prescription Drugs Are Americans Taking?

Post by doogie55 » November 15th, 2017, 2:26 am

My prescription drugs are all generics...Carvedilol, Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Atorvastatin. I was on Brilinta for 18 months...glad to get off when the manufacturer discount expired!

Doug E.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » November 15th, 2017, 9:25 am

I think that most of us can stick with the more generic drugs. I found that when my doctor prescribed a new drug he usually did not even know the cost. I had one he had been told it was inexpensive by the salesperson and it was $28 a day. He dropped that one in a hurry.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 53+ years and my eldest daughter.

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » November 15th, 2017, 11:22 am

Early on I had a brand name drug prescribed (Diovan), but we quickly found a generic for it.
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » November 15th, 2017, 11:27 am

I'm not quite clear on where you are headed withe these posts, but you can't make sense out of the US medical system. Let me give a personal example ...
I had Part D (prescription drug insurance) through a well known US insurance company. My monthly premium was $47/month and even generic drugs usually cost me $6 to $9 each in addition to an annual co insurance charge of $450. Oh, and I had to use a specific pharmacy.

So they offered me a new plan for $22/ month, no charge for generics and no co-insurance cost. And to clinch it, it's through the same pharmacy. The old plan still exists FYI. ... so just how does the medical community justify this kind of disparity?

I take:
Metoprolol
Atorvastatin
Ranexa $6
Isosorbide mononitrate $9
Clopidegril
Furosemide
Nitrostat $6
Amlodipine
Pantoprazole
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » November 15th, 2017, 11:53 am

They don't justify it.
One thing I think is wrong here is the USA is that the VA can negotiate prices while it is not "legal" for Medicare to do so.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 53+ years and my eldest daughter.

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » November 15th, 2017, 6:28 pm

The American society is so advanced, it can be hard to follow what our country has achieved in the way of healthcare and prescription pharmaceuticals. If you're not living here and get your drugs elsewhere ((Canada, Australia, Zimbabwe, etc), check out what we're able to buy here at discount prices:
Eliquis (an alleged warfarin replacement): a mere $388.19 list price per month
Pradaxa (another warfarin replacement): an easy $370 per month, but a "Tier 4" drug (maybe Murica is the only one with "tiers")
Entresto an anti CHF with lots of good reports (and no, I did NOT say Fake News): a bargain at $400 per month

Colchicine has about nothing to do with hearts, but is it an interesting story for cocktail and re election parties regarding US drug companies. Please read WikiPedia for specific details. A variation of Colchicine has been around since 1500 BC and you might think that might make it eligible for the generic column. Ha. At one point it was like $.05 a pill. Today, 18 tablets will set you back about $170 US UNLESS you suck up to MyKidsMom or Suzanne. You see in Canada, they can buy the exact same drug in a local pharmacy for $17.00 and that's without using any of their street connection drug dealers-it's all legit. Really, read the WikiPedia (not WikiLeaks) article.

There is another thread nearby titled Medicare Plans that might, at some extreme level, be considered informed reading and somewhat related to this thread.
nonsense area-does anyone even read this area any more

dick

Post by dick » Yesterday, 6:35 pm

One thing I think is wrong here is the USA is that the VA can negotiate prices while it is not "legal" for Medicare to do so.
Anyone care to guess why Medicare, despite being the largest single purchaser of drugs in the entire world, can NOT negotiate drug prices? Sorry, this may not be appropriate for a support forum for people simply trying to live. What the hell do they need drugs for anyway?

(and do not think for a moment this is about elephants or the new Presidential executive order/authorization permitting the hunting of foreign elephants and bringing back their body parts to the US. a mere coincidence if the President's sons like hunting, in Africa, in Zimbabwe, for elephants)