OT : wonder

Posts from Jan. 1, 2017 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

ROBO Pop

OT : wonder

Post by ROBO Pop » October 10th, 2017, 11:09 am

ever wonder whether we are extending life or just prolonging misery?
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

KansasAl

Re: OT : wonder

Post by KansasAl » October 10th, 2017, 11:34 am

Yes, I think we are expending life and promulgating misery. huhhh

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » October 10th, 2017, 12:37 pm

In my case my life has been extended, my pain has been minimal, and I've watched and, with my wife, guided my 11 year-old to grow up to be a sweet, competent young woman. Had I been only merely dead, but really most sincerely dead my wife couldn't have kept our girls together in our home and supported them since I was unemployed when the SCA hit and had no life insurance.

Remember, our 3 daughters still at home are on the autism spectrum, one exceedingly so!
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » October 10th, 2017, 12:58 pm

I hear ya ron...we have a daughter whos been brain damaged since she had a brain tumor removed when she was 7, the result of the surgery not only included brain damage but status epilepsy resulting for the first 8 years after surgery with up to maybe 8 seizures a day....we also had 3 other small kiddies and were newly arrived in canada....Melanie is now 42, still having seizures but suffering more brain damage from two prolonged seizures......I never had the time to really think about myself or my conditions in this exciting ride thro life......sometimes rather than exciting it was more on the line of horrific...but we rolled up our sleeves, and got on with it.....willie if id given up the ghost would never have managed on his own....weve managed to survive im sure mostly by the skin of our teeth and our sense of humours....and also by knowing in many ways we were very lucky.....mels surgery was the first of its kind successfully done....the other kids learned much during their childhood cos much was expected of them....we all had to muck in and support each other....and became very much closer as a family, whereas many families in our circumstances split up.......so good and bad lol..

so to answer the original question.....yes i do think we manage to prolong life and many times under circumstances that perhaps it would be easier and better to let go......but hey........walk in my shoes or a month and maybe your original opinion would change.....or maybe not lol......either way their my shoes.......im glad we have this ability and technology to be honest..
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

whiteheadjf

Post by whiteheadjf » October 11th, 2017, 5:27 pm

I would answer in my (and I hopefully think in most cases) YES and NO. Since my first VF episode in 2009 I've lived to experience 4 wonderful grandchildren coming into this world. I do appreciate your thought experiment though as the "thought" has crossed my mind.
non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Maximo II 2009
Boston Scientific 2015 (generator replacement)
Pacemaker syndrome / PMT 2015
Boston Scientific CRT-D 2016

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » October 11th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Friday will be 9 years since I "died". I believe that I have had the chance to see my family grow up more, unfortunately the loss of a grandchild, and have completed a lot of volunteer time in these 9 years. That is about to change sooner than later as the clock is expiring.

thanks
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 53+ years and my eldest daughter.

slk123

Post by slk123 » October 11th, 2017, 9:23 pm

I personally think my life was prolonged because the other half-who-can't-do-much wouldn't have been able to raise my children. He's pretty much worthless and that's all I have to say on that subject. We are now living as if he doesn't live in the home, which is sad but there is no other way around it. Anyway, on with the question....

I believe when I died, I was ready to go. I felt I had lived a full life of excitement, experience, knowledge, and had given life to 5 beautiful children who were on their way to being great at life. When I saw the after-life, and was told, "It's not your time!" and when my grandmother hugged me and said, "It's not your time. You have to go. Now!" Then I guess I kind of realized the reason why I didn't stay behind was because my children needed me to help them grow into the people they are to become.

Looking back on everything, I now know the man I married is a narcissist and a sociopath who would NEVER be able to give my children what they need, no matter how much he tries to fake it. It's so sad to have taken me almost 30 years to really see who this person is, but now that I know for certain what kind of person it is that I married, I am better equipped to help my children understand why he has no emotions and why he is so cruel with his words. I can only hope and pray they are not of the same ilk. And hope and pray they are not ultimately influenced by his lack of humanity.

So I guess the answer to your questions is....both. Oh....my children are still great!!!
Best wishes,
Stacey

CHF Jan 2016
ICD Nov 2014
LBBB Nov 2014
Sudden cardiac arrest Nov 2014
Arrhythmia Aug 1982

tomrostron

Post by tomrostron » October 12th, 2017, 6:46 am

I had my sca 34 yrs ago. I was only 38. for the next seventeen years I was fine, and pretty healthy. around 2001 I started with vt, and had a mild heart attack. I was given my icd in 2002, and I am really glad I got it.. I have had grandchildren born, and a great grandchild. On the other hand I have lost a good few relatives, including my 2 daughters, and a grandchild. at least I was here to help my daughters children through their grief. So I all in all, I think I am glad I am still here. joe.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » October 12th, 2017, 6:54 am

see....we all have specific reasons for wanting to stay around and fighting to do so.........my first SCA happened on the operating table in the Rotunda Hospital in dublin while i was having a C/Section for my 2nd child....I think everything happened so fast they revived me by accident lol...I was 26 and didnt see my baby for a couple of days...and wondered what the heck was going on...why after a birth i had to have neurologists visit me in the maternity hospital....when i realized what was going on i remember thinking......no frickin way am i leaving this world without raising my daughters......so stacey i can relate totally........i went on to have 2 more children, emigrate, and now im the proud grandmother of 4 little angels by birth, and one who came into our lives thro marriage 6 more scas under my belt and many other close calls with the man above......so yes......thank god for life preserving abilities.......................p

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » October 12th, 2017, 6:11 pm

Reading all the thoughts you guys share here made me sincerely realize just how much you scare the crap out of me...
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

Leedur

Post by Leedur » October 12th, 2017, 7:59 pm

My wife said I had to stick around because the mailman kept leaving bills in the box. We couldn't both afford to retire and she did so about 5 years ago. Sure I am healthier for continuing to work vs. not working. Maybe I will win the lottery, retire....then probably die.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » October 14th, 2017, 8:35 am

see ...your wife is keeping you alive lol...always good to have a reason...I seem to be surviving again for some reason.....so now my plan is get the christmas over and see how things go.....