ICDkid

This is a forum for parents and kids with ICDs. Discuss issues unique to parents and kids, or just hang out with some newfound friends!

Moderator: Momof2HeartKids

zmom

ICDkid

Post by zmom » March 3rd, 2010, 7:24 pm

Hello Sharon,
You're definitely right that Garrett is a miracle. We have a miracle of our own. One doctor stated when Zack was in the PICU after his cardiac arrest "every once in while a patient comes along that humbles us" and Zack was that patient. Doctors did everything they could for him with no positive results until our faith stepped in and put Zack on the road to recovery. We've come to realize that each minute of the day is so precious and to work through the challenges. Stay strong because God has a plan for each of us, sometimes we have to patient.
wavhi
Janet "ZMom"
Mother of 16 yr old son with
St Jude Medical V168 ICD and
Ventricular Tachycardia (VT) with CPVT
Zack's motto:
"Making mistakes simply means you are learning faster"

ICDkid

Re: ICDkid

Post by ICDkid » April 11th, 2010, 11:26 pm

Hi Janet.
Thanks for your kind words. Sorry for the delay in response, I have not been on in a while. They are testing my Garrett right now. His ICD went off 3 times, but they don't know why. Funny thing is that Garrett never felt it. Did not faint. He had a cath done and the heart is not damaged. Thank God. They just don't know why this is happening. Still testing. They put him on a beta blocker to lower his heart rate. We are hoping this is the trick. I hope we find an answer and all will be okay. It just freaks me out sometimes, but I play a brave poker face. How is your son, Zack adjusting to ICD world? How are you doing with it? I am so glad I am not alone in this. I mean, not that I would wish this on anyone, but it does exist and I am glad I have strong parents with me dealing with this. If you ever want to talk, let me know. I'd really like to know how Zack is dealing with this device. Garrett doesn't really like it. But, he is kinda in a double whammy with the brain damage and the ICD restrictions. Just wondering. Garrett's device is St. Jude, too. It is a ICD/Pacemaker.
:hugg:
Sharon
Garrett's mom
Orange County, CA

"God only gives us what we can handle, I just wish he didn't trust me so much!"
~Mother Theresa

cocoalab

Re: ICDkid

Post by cocoalab » April 20th, 2010, 5:49 pm

Hi Sharon,
I just read your post and was wondering how Garret is doing. You said his device went off three times but he didn't feel it. was he paced out or were they all shocks? I haven't read your story yet or why Garret got his device. I'll look it up now. Just wondering how he is doing and if the beta blockers are helping.

I have a son with a device that has gone off a few times as well. We have changed meds before and that has helped in the past. We have recently changed dosages because his device has paced him out of a couple tachy events. So far i think it is helping. hope to hear good things. How old is your son. Mine is 20 now but received his ICD at 14.
Wendy: Andrew's mom(23, L-TGA (ventricular inversion), tricuspid valve replaced 3x-7/96 and 7/05, 6/07 and mitral valve 6/07, MI at last surgery, cardiac arrest August 05, ICD 8/27/05, Bacterial Endocarditis requiring replacement of two valves and his ICD May through July 07) L-VAD 12/7/2010, on the transplant list since April 2011! Rom 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on Him that justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteosness