Getting ready for genetic testing/ Baby may need an ICD

This is a forum for parents and kids with ICDs. Discuss issues unique to parents and kids, or just hang out with some newfound friends!

Moderator: Momof2HeartKids

Mommy2LiamsHeart

Getting ready for genetic testing/ Baby may need an ICD

Post by Mommy2LiamsHeart » June 6th, 2009, 3:24 am

I had my first implant when I was 17yrs old. I am now the proud mommy of a 7 month old blessing who may carry the gene for HCM aswell. If Liam carries the gene, we have been told that he will need an ICD by age 2 for preventative measures. Has anyone else had to deal with a child receiving an ICD so young?

Momof2HeartKids
Forum Moderator

Re: Getting ready for genetic testing/ Baby may need an ICD

Post by Momof2HeartKids » June 8th, 2009, 6:38 pm

Hi Liam's mommy,

You pic is so cute. Congratulations on your beautiful baby. I hope he is negative for the gene and an ICD for him isnt something you will have to worry about. My son was a very small 5 year old when he had his put in but I do know someone whos son was a baby when he got his put in. I can give you her contact information if you ever have to cross that bridge with Liam but lets pray you never do!
Wishing You a Zap Free Day,
Cyndie

(Brugada Syndrome, Long QT Syndrome, Sick Sinus Syndrome, ICD & 2 children one with Brugada, ICD and one with Brugada, Long QT and removed ICD due to staph)

Elizabeth Martineau

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » June 9th, 2009, 6:33 am

My prayers are with you and your whole family that this turns out just fine (:

Rebecca

Post by Rebecca » June 10th, 2009, 10:55 am

Prayers!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming – "WOW – What a Ride!" "With a marguarita would be best!!!"

Mark

Post by Mark » June 10th, 2009, 1:52 pm

Prayers from this end too....

marcosr1120

Post by marcosr1120 » November 15th, 2010, 12:05 pm

Prayers from here.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » November 15th, 2010, 7:04 pm

More prayers from me. You can't have too many. At lease they know to look and test. For all of your family :hugg:
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

Greg a

Post by Greg a » November 15th, 2010, 9:12 pm

Since it has been over a year since Mommy2LiamsHeart posted here is a quote from the family blog

Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Hooray... Liam is a healthy boy
Rewind a couple weeks to March 17, St Patrick's Day. After much anticipation, it was finally time for Liam's cardiology appointment to see what the future held for him. After a very entertaining time with the great Riley staff performing his EKG and Eco, we went into him appointment. Within just a few seconds, the doctor broke the news we had been waiting for since he was conceived... LIAM HAS A HEALTHY HEART!!!! According to the doctor and a colleague of his at the Mayo Clinic, there is only a 5% chance that he will ever show symptoms of HCM! Although I will continue to be a worried Momma every time Liam takes off running or wants to go play or swim, he will be able to lead a normal little boys life. Now it is time to start getting him ready to be a future Ohio State running back! hahaha
LIVE
LOVE
LAUGH
ITS ALL GOOD

ABOUT ME:
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... &start=570