Pregnancy, Ventricular Tachycardia and BetaBlockers

This is a forum for parents and kids with ICDs. Discuss issues unique to parents and kids, or just hang out with some newfound friends!

Moderator: Momof2HeartKids

ClaireCal

Pregnancy, Ventricular Tachycardia and BetaBlockers

Post by ClaireCal » August 11th, 2012, 8:03 pm

Hi All
Going to be discussing for more info with my Cardiologist, but also wanted to ask here for some 'real life experiences' about pregnancy, diagnosed with ventricular tachycardia and needing to take beta blockers
We don't have a family. A pregnancy would now mean needing to stay on beta blockers(and what might this do to a baby) knowing I have Idiopathic Ventricular Tachycardia (and what might this mean in years ahead). And how well may a pregnancy even be tolerated.
For now, we are not to become pregnant but maybe next year is ok. I was diagnosed in March, had a catheter ablation in March and defib implanted in April. Since the VT is due to unknown cause as yet, this may be an indication of a cardiomyopathy.
I'm hitting 36 so concerned about age as well as heart!!
Iguess I wanted to ask if anyone has been through a pregnancy, how it went and if all ok with baby
Thanks

Prolapsed Mitral Valve & Idiopathic Ventricular Tachycardia
Catheter Ablation 28-03-12
ICD Medtronic 23-04-12
Bisoprolol 2.5mg
Pregnant for Sept 2013

https://m.facebook.com/claire.callanan.75?refid

mykidsmom

Re: Pregnancy, Ventricular Tachycardia and BetaBlockers

Post by mykidsmom » August 11th, 2012, 8:45 pm

my daughter did claire, she was diagnosed while she was trying to get pregnant and we were all terrified something terrible would happen...but the drs really werent concerned...she was on a high dose of beta blockers and were were amazed at the end of the pregnancy there were no issues with high bloodpressure, toxemia or any of the pregnancy related diseases.......she seemed to gain a lota weight...but at the time it could have either been the beta blocker or her first pregnancy....she still had issues with her heart thro the pregnancy, extra beats, missing beats, but on a day to day basis she was fine..i was terrified when she went into labor..but she gave birth to my beautiful 10lb grandson no problem..she didnt breastfeed him cos she was worn out with the beta blockers and they seemed to affect her activity level more after the birth...

anyways roll on two years later....little eamonn was born.... 2 years later big niamh was born......(10lbs 4 oz) the last two births, were fast, she got a pain, 2nd pain baby arrived lol...and she breast fed the last two......on niamh her cardiologist took her off the beta blockers and her weight gain was exactly similar to that of the first two pregnancies..so all blame came off the beta blockers lol..

good luck to you .....glad to hook up with you on facebook....^5
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » August 11th, 2012, 11:01 pm

*IF* your heart responds to the device and drugs as well as many of ours have, you'll be cleared by your doctor for pregnancy and labor. Everyone's heart is different, our cardiomyopathies can be caused by several known factors, but 60% of us have unknown causes (idiopathic -- some doctors are idiots and pathetic, totally without a clue).

If your heart was dilated, the biggest issue will be giving it time to shrink back towards normal size and function. If yours is running away for undiagnosed reasons, you'll want to prove to yourself that it can be controlled long-term in a variety of circumstances and stress levels.

Good luck!
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » August 12th, 2012, 12:51 am

good answer ron...my daughters problem comes and goes, its worse under stress, if she develops allergic reaction to anything or if shes sick in general...ie flu etc etc...she cant take certain over the counter medicines cos that sends her heart hopping out of her chest..she managed to control things better thro the other pregnancies than thro the first being honest cos shed just been diagnosed and hadnt a clue....and was terrified.

your in touch with your dr claire so listen to his advice BUT always be open to getting a 2nd opinion if you feel you should....as regards age on a pregnancy, i had 3 high risk pregnancies on my girls..(wonder if it was the female hormones lol) but on my son, when i went in for the pregnancy test the dr almost fainted on the floor with shock....why would anyone YOUR age having 3 high risk pregnancies and 3 c sections even think of getting pregnant ?? he screamed.....he shut up about abortion when i threatened to report him to the medical association or wallop him with my purse, and then he realized id planned my pregnancy......i was 36, i had a dream pregnancy, didnt get even as much as a cold, and my history of toxemia was non existent, and my heart behaved itself like a kid promised candy at the end of the day.......i was 37 when my son arrived and everything went without a hitch...the hitches came later when i had 3 girls going thro the teenage thing back to back......and my son decided for a year he wanted to be a musician and travel the world lol..(on my dime)

x0x0x

ClaireCal

Post by ClaireCal » August 12th, 2012, 3:43 am

Great to hear. Thanks All.
For those on facebook, please don't say this there!!!

ICD Medtronic 23-04-12
Bisoprolol 2.5mg
Pregnant for Sept 2013

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » August 12th, 2012, 9:10 am

not a word darlin' x0x0x

ClaireCal

Post by ClaireCal » August 14th, 2012, 4:18 pm

And beta blockers.Have Moms been on beta blockers? Would rather not but have to. Looking for that proof that the little ones are ok. Thsnks all

ICD Medtronic 23-04-12
Bisoprolol 2.5mg
Pregnant for Sept 2013

ClaireCal

Post by ClaireCal » August 14th, 2012, 4:25 pm

Oh and no cardiomyapthy diagnosed though it was suspected. Heart function and hearr muscle seem fine. Prolapsed mitral valve is only structural issue found.
What does disappoint me is that the cardio had plans to do more ablations to fix me more but then very suddenly changed his mind and im not quite sure the real reason why! Id rather be fixed!! But its out of my control.

ICD Medtronic 23-04-12
Bisoprolol 2.5mg
Pregnant for Sept 2013