Techinical abbreviation stuff. PLEASE READ AND SUBMIT

Just what it says- Trying to keep the main Board as free and easy to maneuver as possible.
Mark

Techinical abbreviation stuff. PLEASE READ AND SUBMIT

Post by Mark » December 14th, 2007, 10:02 am

Please feel free to ad to this and once a full list is compiled I will make it into one post. This will help out many of the new members that sometimes wonder what the heck we are talking about when we use these abbreviations.

Make sure abbreviation is accompanied by the definition of that abbreviation is, such as

VT = ventricular tachycardia

I am looking for mainly the members that have been around for a bit and are used to a lot of these. I know Cyndie posted a bunch at one time and I should have done this prior but I didn't.

I appreciate everyones input! :xmaswav:
Last edited by Mark on December 14th, 2007, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith of WI

Post by Keith of WI » December 14th, 2007, 10:22 am

BP = Blood Pressure
CHF= Congestive Heart Failure

sunny4az

Post by sunny4az » December 14th, 2007, 10:39 am

Mark, the American Heart Association has a very comprehensive Cardiac Glossary at this site.
Joel in sunny Arizona

Medtronics Maximo 7232CX. Mexiletine 150MG 2X, Coreg CR 40MG 1x, Lisinopril 2.5MG 1X, Plavix 75MG 1X

3-life saving therapies and 1 electrical storm w/8 zaps

Mark

Post by Mark » December 14th, 2007, 11:59 am

sunny4az wrote:Mark, the American Heart Association has a very comprehensive Cardiac Glossary at this site.
Joel,

Thanks for that link, and it is very informative but what I was looking for was more the abbreviations we use here on the ICD Support Group board: I am looking to make a reference to all those abbreviations we use there that new posters may not be familiar with. ( SVT, SCD, NSVT, HCM and so on) Seems like not much when you have been posting for awhile but being new it can become somewhat daunting to keep asking posters " What does NST mean?" :)

*NOTE* I noticed that the wording in my original post should have been clearer, so I changed it. Oooopsie on me. :lol:

sunny4az

Post by sunny4az » December 14th, 2007, 12:13 pm

Mark, understand. I think it would very useful to have our own list of common abbreviations as a sticky. Also, I think it would be useful to have a sticky link to the AHA glossary for those that want a more detailed definition.
Joel in sunny Arizona

Medtronics Maximo 7232CX. Mexiletine 150MG 2X, Coreg CR 40MG 1x, Lisinopril 2.5MG 1X, Plavix 75MG 1X

Kat

Post by Kat » December 14th, 2007, 12:32 pm

Also, I think it would be best to have a one page sticky. While we could all contribute to the list, but it should be something simple to use. If we each put up a few then new users have to scroll through to find stuff.

I will help be happy build the list and then to send it to you for a sticky posting. I will start with Cindy's list (if I can find it) and then anything else that is added here.
~Kat - Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
-That which does not kill us can really mess up our hair!
-Having one near life experience after another.

Intro post: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 5694#p5694

Keith of WI

Post by Keith of WI » December 14th, 2007, 1:33 pm

AICD =Automatic Internal Cardiac Defibulater (SP)
ICD = basically same as above

I have found you say AICD to paramedics they think it is something new! Not just an ICD!

sunny4az

Post by sunny4az » December 14th, 2007, 1:42 pm

Keith, my EP calls the ICD an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator. Don't know term which is correct, maybe both are.
Joel in sunny Arizona

Mark

Post by Mark » December 14th, 2007, 5:27 pm

Okay, I thought I had stated this clearly- add whatever abbreviations you have to this thread, and when there are enough I will delete this thread and then post the abbreviations in one sticky message so it will be easier for newer members to understand what we are talking about. We have so far..

VT- Ventricular tachycardia
BP = Blood Pressure
CHF= Congestive Heart Failure
AICD =Automatic Internal Cardiac Defibrillator
ICD = Well we all know this one

Just keep 'em coming and I will spend the time tp list them alphabetically, cut and paste and post it up as a sticky note when everyone has pretty much exhausted all the abbreviations. This is a "work in progress" thread.... :)

sunny4az

Post by sunny4az » December 14th, 2007, 6:11 pm

AF--aterial fibrillation

ATP--antitachycardia pacing

ECG--electrocardiogram

EF--ejection fraction

EPS--electrophysiology study

PVC--premature ventricular contraction

SVT--supraventricular tachycardia

VF--ventricular fibrillation
Joel in sunny Arizona

jellybean

Post by jellybean » December 15th, 2007, 9:41 pm

LQTS- long QT syndrome
ARVD- arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia
TDP- torsades de pointes- also called polymorphic ventricular tachycardia
IDCM- idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy
HCM- hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
CPVT- catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia
NIPS- non-invasive programmed stimulation
SVT- supraventricular tchycardia
AVNRT- atrioventricular nodal re-entry tachycardia
MAT- multifocal atrial tachycardia
NSVT- non-sustained ventricular tachycardia
EGM- electrogram
PM- pacemaker
AFib- atrial fibrillation
PVI/PVA- pulmonary vein isolation or pulmonary vein ablation
RFA- radiofrequency ablation
PFO- patent foramen ovale
VSD- ventricular septal defect
TOF- tetralogy of Fallot
EKG/ECG- electrocardiogram
ILR- implanted loop recorder
SSS- sick sinus syndrome
SCD- sudden cardiac death
SCA- sudden cardiac arrest
OHCA- out-of hospital cardiac arrest

Will think of more later...

don

Post by don » December 16th, 2007, 12:36 am

Sorry to be a poop, but it doesnt' matter what you post here. Folks will still come here with their problems and the abbreviatons they don't understand and we will still explain it to them. Hell, I've been doing this for 20 years and I still don't understand all the new abbreviations and have to depend on others to explain it to me. It all boils down the a simple premise. If your heart beats too fast you will die. It doesn't matter what label or what abbreviations they put on it, dead is dead. The only viable way to combat arrhythmia is with an ICD. I wish there were a simpler, easier and less expensive answer to the problem but there isn't with the current technology.

Sure, if you want to understand all the abbreviations go ahead. Sorry but I don't think it's that important. Everyone wants to be special. Everyone wants to have a disorder that noone else has. It doesn't matter. Dead is dead. Noone is special in the coffen. This is about life and death, not about abbreviations.

Okay, as usual I spoke my mind too much. But think about it. I don't have chf or any of the other fancy lables they put on heart disease today. I'm a step away from death without my ICD. I would have been dead a couple of dozen times without the intervention of my ICD. So what difference does it make?

Sorry, I hope you don't take this post seriously. I just think all the lables are funny. Go ahead and make a glossery so some folks can feel special that they have a different disorder than others. I don't have anything special. Many years ago I got shot in a foreign country that many have never heard of. It damaged my heart. I dont have any fancy abbreviations to put on my heart problems. Does it really make a difference? Just like everyone else I'm a heartbeat away from death. I'm teasing. Go do what you think is important.

don

Kat

Post by Kat » December 16th, 2007, 12:19 pm

You know, I do come here for learning. I also come here to chat about what is going on, to check up on people I have come to care about and to give back by helping out with new people who are going through what I went through just last year. I find that even after 17 months of this, I am still learning.

I remember what it was like when I suddenly had to deal with lots of doctors I never knew existed using lots of terms I had never heard before. I remember feeling lost, out of control and depressed. The only thing that has me on a steady keel is the knowledge I have learned here.

Since then I have noticed, as well as several other veterans, that same worry and confusion in the new members that come here. While we all deal with these things differently, the common solution is learning. Having this sticky with the common terms we use and hear would be one small thing we can do to help those on their steps to getting back in control.

I for one think this is a good thing to do, it is a small effort on our part and it is a helpful thing to new members. I will do everything I can to help Mark out with this and post up the list.
~Kat - Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
-That which does not kill us can really mess up our hair!
-Having one near life experience after another.

Intro post: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 5694#p5694

hugooc

Post by hugooc » December 16th, 2007, 12:27 pm

Don, don't be such a 'poop'. :wink:

I, for example would like to know what AAI and DDD mean. I suspect it has something to do with atrial or ventricular pacing (saw it in my interrogation reports) but I don't know what they mean.

Anyone?