Welcome Dave, the Scuba Diver!

Posts from Jan 1 2008 thru Dec 31 2008

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin

Aamos

Welcome Dave, the Scuba Diver!

Post by Aamos » December 30th, 2008, 12:05 pm

Hi there from South Dakota. Wait until you *meet* Kat!
Welcome to our virtual family!

grins,
A
Amy/Aamos--wife of DanL, who had SCA 6/1/08; 4x bypass 6/5/08 and Guidant Vitality dual chamber ICD 11/7/08

melland

Post by melland » December 30th, 2008, 12:09 pm

Welcome Dave! Lots of good support and conversation here. I have a good friend who used to play for Wigan.
Tim

ICD = I Can't Die

Medtronics Concerto - October 23, 2008 reached end of service 13 December 2013
Medtronics Viva S - 13 December 2013

Fishing is not a matter of life or death, it is much more important than that!

Lazydays

Post by Lazydays » December 30th, 2008, 12:25 pm

Dave - welcome to the forum. I hope get what you are looking for here. I'm sure that seeing Liverpool top of the league is doing your ticker no good at all :mutt:

Still, you should worry, I've been a Southampton supporter all my life and I think that watching them all these years has caused all my problems !!

Anyway, here's a bit of blue to make you feel at home :bluerib:
Gary

Life Can Sometimes Be A Shocking Experience

March 1994 - MI
June 2003 - Stent
July 2008 - VT - Stent & ICD fitted
Dec 2008 - Appropriate shock
Sept 2011 - Ventricular Ablation (failed)
May 2012 - Ventricular Ablation
May 2013 - Ventricular Ablation (failed to induce VT )
June 2014 - Ventricular Ablation
25mg Spirolactone
5mg Bisoprolol
10mg Ramipril
40mg Pravastatin
Warfarin
Disopyramide - 400 mg

Aamos

Post by Aamos » December 30th, 2008, 12:29 pm

oh-oh, if that's a cause of needing an ICD, I'll be joining the ranks soon--I've been a Red Sox fan since 1968.
And the Yankee$ just bought up about $450 million dollars of big talent (3 players).
Amy/Aamos--wife of DanL, who had SCA 6/1/08; 4x bypass 6/5/08 and Guidant Vitality dual chamber ICD 11/7/08

Mark

Post by Mark » December 30th, 2008, 3:50 pm

:::jumping in on the "welcome Dave" band wagon::::

Welcome and glad you found us: have a feeling you will like this group and all the benefits you receive from being a members here. Again, welcome to the family.

codman59

Post by codman59 » December 31st, 2008, 10:08 am

Welcome, Dave, from Eastern Canada.
Cardiomyapathy (reason unknown; suspect viral infection 1998), chf, gout, diabetes, asthma, bad hair.
Medtronics Virtuoso VR implanted Aug 28/08, single lead.

"The generation that would change the world is still looking for its car keys" - "The Rainmakers"

Craig

Kat

Post by Kat » December 31st, 2008, 1:48 pm

Hello Dave,

Welcome to the board. By now you know you have a great group of folks here with all sorts of heart conditions but we are all in the same boat... so to speak. Lucky for you that your heart events happened while people were around. Above all, you are a survivor.

The scuba thing is a bit difficult to answer. It is the device that usually keeps you from going deeper than 40 feet (14m) but your individual heart condition may be a problem too. In my case, it is a device limitation and type of disease that limits me. When I was diagnosed I had been planning my dream trip to Australia to dive the great barrier reef. We had the deposit down on the master cabin on a live aboard dive boat. We were going to spend 10 days in the water and I was beyound jazzed. I was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy during a routine office visit because I was feeling this strange racing feeling. I was at high risk for three different factors and they were recommending an ICD. I figured at the time, I have been diving all over with the condition and just didn't know it... nothing bad had happened so I was going to go to Australia. I would deal with the HCM when I get back. What I didn't know was that there had been issues in Austrailia with divers dying so they required a doctor to certify me before they would let me go. HCM often cuases syncope (passing out) but I hadn't had that happen since I was 17. However, no doctor here or in Australia would certify me. We were able to get our deposit back.

Since then, I have done several things that have given my doctors more confidence in my condition. I have had several tests to show my overall heart health, lost 35 pounds, went on beta blockers and so on. I snorkle and ocean kayak, but still dream of getting my regulator out for some extended underwater time. I am thinking of trying a shallow dive this year. I just have to get my doctors to be ok with it. Seems to me that if I have an informed diving partner and a full face mask (just in case I pass out) that I would be covered.

They are constantly improving these devices. I hear that Boston Scientific has a device that can go down to 130 feet and withstand the pressure. This gives me hope that in the future I will get a second chance at that trip to Australia. My job, is it keep my heart healthy enough to take trip if and when the time comes.
~Kat - Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
-That which does not kill us can really mess up our hair!
-Having one near life experience after another.

Intro post: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 5694#p5694

tomrostron

Post by tomrostron » December 31st, 2008, 8:43 pm

Welcome Dave, Good set of people on this forum. joe