3 Week Post-Zap Check Up

Posts from Jan 1 2008 thru Dec 31 2008

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin

idunno313

3 Week Post-Zap Check Up

Post by idunno313 » December 21st, 2008, 11:18 am

Tomorrow I am going to my EP for my 3 week post-first zap check up. I'm not really nervous I am actually a little excited because I'm meeting with MY EP and not his partner so I can't wait to just see his face. We never really thought that this thing was going to go off but now that it has I'm glad, let me tell you. So what should I expect from my First Shock EVER follow up? I guess part of me is a LITTLE nervous because I already feel helpless enough not being able to drive, I'm just worried he'll turn around and throw down another restriction or something. Any input in regards to first shock follow up would be great, and if a few of you could just tell me that I'm being ridiculous and to stop worrying, that would be greatly appreciated too :)
DCM ( thanks dad), LBBB, VT, VF oh... and CHF
1st icd: 5/26/05
2nd w/ lead.change: 3/17/10
Lots of shocks, 4 unsuccessful ablations and then a heart transplant 2/25/14. Feeling great (knock on wood). Thank you UPenn and MRAG for the hospital suggestion!!!

markokc4863

Post by markokc4863 » December 21st, 2008, 1:26 pm

Well after my first and only shock up to now, I went straight to the ER because it freaked me out. At that point I was told that it was the real thing and that I would have been dead without it. They really just told me that unless I were shocked twice in a 24 hour period that I didn't need to come to the ER or worry about it. I haven't been shocked again, so not sure what my reaction will be next time it happens, assuming that it does happen again.
Mark

Medtronic Virtuoso DR
Sudden Cardiac Death - 5/7/2008 (my wedding anniversary)
ICD Implant - 5/9/2008
First Shock - 6/9/2008

Mark

Post by Mark » December 21st, 2008, 5:20 pm

Stop worrying, everything will be fine. (Did I do that well enough?? ;) ) Be excited that you get to see exactly what happened as the ICD records everything during a shock. First and foremost DON'T feel helpless because if you were truly helpless, you might not be here to talk about it. Find out exactly what happened and even ask for a copy of your readout. Make sure your EP explains everything to you so you understand: if you don't then ask him to explain it again so you do.... it's your right to know what happened and tell him you want to be in charge of your heath care andyou're interested in learning.

Don't dwell on your EP throwing restrictions at you, he probably won't: that's why you have the ICD. As far as driving, like each state we live in, each doctor is different as to how they will respond. After my first double shock, I drove myself to the ER: I know I know, not smart and believe me I got reamed for that but here's the bottom line- if I wasn't supposed to keep trucking along after a shock, then why did you give me this thing in the first place?!?! (As you may have guessed, I am not the most compliant patient.) Of course my doctor just shook his head and said " Next time call an ambulance" and I said "Uh-huh and I can bill it to you right?" I told him had I passed out OR had not felt well, then he can damn sure bet I would have called an ambulance, but I didn't so all is well. Of course, you know not to do as I do, because I am a trouble maker- the smart thing would be to have someone drive you and if you aren't feeling well after the shocked then definitely call an ambulance.

Okay, now that I got totally off base, let me get back on track. Like Mark says, an I was tolad the same thing about the shocks. If it is a single shock and I feel better or alright, then call in and let the doctor (or on call doctor) make the call, which will most likely be take an extra anti-arrhythmia pill and if it happens again get your ass to the ER.

You'll be fine- ask all your questions and don;t leave wiht any unanswered. After your visit make sure you come and tell us how it went: we do care. Hope this helped.

idunno313

Post by idunno313 » January 3rd, 2009, 9:50 pm

Thanks for your help guys. Sorry it's been so long since I've been on or posting, but I was permitted to drive again so I've been out about and around making up for those lost 4 weeks :) Being that I didn't pass out and my regular EP knows me better than his partner who I only met that ONE time, he said I could drive but if I DO happen to pass out to expect the driving ban coming and staying for the full 6 months. Aside from that, I didn't get a copy of the reading but I did get to look at it again, it's just SOOO cool and strange at the same time. He also said that he wants me to start getting back into my regular daily stuff (ie: gym, etc...) HOWEVER he also said NO RUNNING. He said start off walking and if I SERIOUSLY NEED to, I can do a light jog but NOTHING above 4 MPH because I'm just playing with fire. I too am not exactly the most compliant patient either, but he told me from day one he expected that because of both my personality and my age (my father is a cop, so everyone knows cops children generally are the worst) :) Aside from that everything went well. I hope everyone had a happy and healthy new year celebration!!!!
DCM ( thanks dad), LBBB, VT, VF oh... and CHF
1st icd: 5/26/05
2nd w/ lead.change: 3/17/10
Lots of shocks, 4 unsuccessful ablations and then a heart transplant 2/25/14. Feeling great (knock on wood). Thank you UPenn and MRAG for the hospital suggestion!!!