It is currently September 15th, 2014, 10:52 pm

Shortness of breath 

Post Shortness of breath
Is there a medical explanation for shortness of breath while you are showering? My doctor always asked me if I experience shortness of breath when taking a shower and I usually tell him no. But sometimes I notice I do get out of breath. I wonder why. Is it the steam and warm water? Anyone got any ideas? Judy

January 18th, 2008, 9:38 am

I have noticed the same shortness of breath when taking a shower. I am pretty sure it is the steam. If I turn on the ceiling fan, in a few seconds, I can breath better again. But I have the same shortness of breath whenever I get around smoke, fumes from paint (I have been painting lately), strong cleaning compounds, etc.

Medtronics Maximo 7232CX. Mexiletine 150MG 2X, Coreg CR 40MG 1x, Lisinopril 2.5MG 1X, Plavix 75MG 1X

3-life saving therapies and 1 electrical storm w/8 zaps

January 18th, 2008, 10:40 am

I seem to at times in the shower, mostly if in to much of a hurry to get out, just wonder if it may be from all the motions one goes through, and the bending putting more pressure & stress on the heart. I haven't noticed a problem with the steam, mostly take cooler showers than many people. My wife when she helped me always set it too hot for me! Before I got the synchronization ICD I needed to use a bath chair it was so tiring.

model #7299ID
>10% EF, CHF, ICD, Sleep Apneia, Royal Pain to others!
I'm like an Electrified Classic Harley, might need a kick start to get going! So far no Kicks!

January 18th, 2008, 6:17 pm
Profile YIM

Keith makes a good point. Try standing in the middle of the room and going throught the same motions and see if all the associated arm movements give you a simular feeling. As I think about it now it may be related to the hot water and how your skin is warming up and the capilariies and blood vessels are relaxing which is effecting blood pressure and flow.

Red Green Show

Loving with all your heart is the only way to love somebody, Otherwise its not worth all the trouble!
Cary Grant

May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us - may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping. (From the movie, Keeping the Faith)

Medtronic Protecta XT (Second ICD), 3 leads (1 unhooked Fidelis) Sept 27, 2006, Feb 12, 2013

January 18th, 2008, 6:23 pm

Now this is going to sound a little stupid but I realize even stupid stuff is sometimes helpfull. I used to esperience shortness of breath during my showers, I talked to my cardiologist about it, apparently what I was doing was holding my breath a lot under the shower :thud: Apparently I didn't even realize it. I also did the same when putting out the trash and other things. Now you see why I said it would sound stupid. I've really had to concentrate on normal breathing when doing things. :oops:

January 18th, 2008, 7:15 pm

I would think that could lead to shortness of breath. I take my time in the shower, using a back brush for reaching most of my body.

model #7299ID
I'm like an Electrified Classic Harley, might need a kick start to get going! So far no Kicks!

January 19th, 2008, 12:45 pm
Profile YIM

Funny you should mention that. When I am riding in the front seat of a vehicle I find myself not breathing when I talk to the driver. Weirdest thing, I don't do it when I'm driving. I also don't breathe right when I'm on the phone with my kids. I never am aware of this at the time. I have always thought something was really wrong with me, who in their right mind forgets to breathe :?:

Red Green Show

Loving with all your heart is the only way to love somebody, Otherwise its not worth all the trouble!
Cary Grant

May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us - may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping. (From the movie, Keeping the Faith)

Medtronic Protecta XT (Second ICD), 3 leads (1 unhooked Fidelis) Sept 27, 2006, Feb 12, 2013

January 19th, 2008, 12:54 pm

Forgetting to breath, Who said anything about being in our right mind :)
I do find that at times I have to remember to breath.

January 19th, 2008, 1:04 pm

I seem to notice the shortness of breath alittle when showering. although its not very bad. I have more of a problem in the cold air. I don't know why just seems to be that way.

MI 8-1-07, 4 Stent Failures from Aug 07 to May 08 ,Right Bundle Branch Block, Multiple VT episodes, SCA 10-09-07, ICD 10-10-07, Appropriate ICD shocks (5), Bypass Surgery 6-6-08, Cardioversion from A-Fib 6-9-08,CHF Diagnosed Class II 2-09, Pulmonary Embolism 4/10, IVC Filter Insertion, Colonectomy, Appendectomy and Hernia repair 8-30-2011, April 2013 Hospitalized Severe CHF, and Ishemic Cardiomiopathy, Sept 2013 Removal of ICD and replaced with CRT-D.
St. Jude Medical CRT-D. CD3365-40C and Coumadin for life :-(

January 19th, 2008, 4:27 pm
Profile E-mail

Hey John, I'm glad you mentioned that.. lately when I first go out of the house I get very short of breath just walking down the driveway...now that I think of it the cold air may be doing it to me.. I have no problem in the shower. About forgetting to breathe, yesterday I was at the opthalmologist having lots of tests and the technician had to keep telling me to "breathe"...so maybe we are just a bad breath bunch... :oops: :roll: Love, Helen

January 19th, 2008, 5:34 pm
Profile E-mail

When it is below about 15-20 degrees, I try to remember to use an air warming mask( kind of like a dust mask only a little thicker material. For me it is the dry cold air that really takes my breath away.

model #7299ID

January 19th, 2008, 8:25 pm
Profile YIM

Hi - all you lucky people! I am short of breath ALL THE TIME!!!
Carry on breathing.
Love,
Eve & Blabbermouth 111

January 19th, 2008, 9:05 pm
Profile E-mail

Most of ur may already know that all ICDs have a feature called Response Rate. Check with ur ep to see if your response rate is turned on or off, if it is off, then discuss with ur EP abt turning it on. What this does is that ur ICD with increase ur heart rate when u need more energy, like showering and other chores

God bless us all

david1

Live in the moment, dont regret ur past and dont worry abt ur future

January 20th, 2008, 12:14 am

I notice the same thing showering, when my husband is cooking something strong or smokey (don't tell him I said that), cold air or air that is too warm (indoor swimming pool). I do notice that when someone has heavy perfume or smoking I tend to hold my breath without thinking. I like the idea of a mask for cold weather because that is what gets me coughing until (you don't want to know the rest).

CHF since 6/2007 Medtronic Biventicular ICD since Febuary 6, 2008

"If you think that was shocking stand me by a microwave"

"Live! Live! Live! life's a banquet and some poor suckers are starving"

January 20th, 2008, 12:02 pm

ok, found a new place that I felt like I lost my breath. Church, this morning I was singing in my off key every other word way and started sweating and just lost my breath. Since my father makes us set on the 2nd row the entire choir (4 whole people) was watching me so I started laughing which did not help either. So I was coughing/laughing and my Dad was elbowing me to be good trying not to snicker. Then I started to wonder if the ICD/DEF would help my musical rhythm too. Needless to say I had to excuse myself for a minute. Was it my heart or my horns........

CHF since 6/2007 Medtronic Biventicular ICD since Febuary 6, 2008

"If you think that was shocking stand me by a microwave"

"Live! Live! Live! life's a banquet and some poor suckers are starving"

January 20th, 2008, 3:30 pm