It is currently August 20th, 2014, 2:48 am

sleeping positions post surgery? 

Post sleeping positions post surgery?
Hi everyone,
thank you for all the well wishes.. I am doing quite well considering the doctors told me the pain would be quite extreme. They went very deep within the muscle and stretched alot of skin.. anyway.. needless to say I have become intent on doing everything I possibly can to heal myself with as little scaring and as quickly as possible...
here is my question - what position did you sleep in post surgery? I am not, by nature, someone who sleeps on their back so i was wondering what other people did to sleep on their side..
what is a big no no? how do i put pillows down so i support myself? what is the best position?
thanks for all your help
kristin

January 14th, 2008, 6:58 am

I slept on my right side with one or two thick pillows hugged against my chest. I was paranoid about my wife bumping into my new friend. Almost 3 years later and I still keep the pillow there. It's like a psychological security blanket even though I have no worries about it getting bumped at night. Maybe my wife is trying to stay as far from me as possible. :D

Bob

January 14th, 2008, 7:26 am
Profile YIM

Kristin, I just passed one month yesterday and I can tell you what worked for me. I have always been a stomach sleeper. The first week pretty much had to be on my back. Then like Bob sugested I started sleeping on my right side with a pillow in front of me. I would just rest my arm on it. Im also a very restless sleeper and would shift from my right side to leaning my back against that same pillow, but not fuly on my left side.

Im still sleeping 75% on the time on my right side, but I can now also sleep on my stomach. I still can t really sleep on my left side.

January 14th, 2008, 10:37 am
Global Moderator

I have always been a side sleepter, usually on my left side. Immediately after surgery, I slept upright propped up on lots of pillows for the first three nights or so. I was told this would help keep the swelling down. I never had much swelling or bruising.

After that, I couldn't sleep on my side for about the first month. I could sleep on my right side and a pillow supporting my left arm and that helped. Now, after 18 months, I can sleep on either side with no real issues.

Intro post: viewtopic.php?p=5694#p5694

January 14th, 2008, 11:45 am
Profile E-mail

I agree with the others on right side with a pillow. The pillow helps keep your arm raised which lessens pressure on the affected area. It was hard for me because the left side was always my favorite sleeping position. Even now that I am healed (5 years) I still tend to sleep on the right side more because sleeping on the left seems to make the pvc's more bothersome. I suppose other internal organs put less pressure on the heart area when on your right side.

Cheerio, Paul S

Paul S, 74, Original ICD 12/2/2002 - Bi-Ventricular ICD 4/5/2010 - A/V Nodal Ablation 6/7/2010 - Bi-Ventricular ICD 4/30/2014 - Atrial Fibrillation, Coronary Artery Disease, Ischemic Cardiomyopathy, Ventricular Tachycardia

Amiodarone, Aspirin, Carvedilol, Digoxin, Furosemide (As Needed), Nitro (Slow Release) Losartan, Warfarin, Zolpidem, Wine, Dark Chocolates, Green Teas, Walnuts, Almonds, & Select Imported and Micro-brewed ales.

Maturity Is Highly Overrated

January 14th, 2008, 12:37 pm

Like many of the others, I slept on my right side for the first couple of weeks, with my left arm propped up on a couple of pillows. After a couple of weeks I was able to turn and sleep on my left side. It wasn't particularly comfortable to begin with but I persevered with it! I now sleep on both sides and toss and turn as much now as I did pre-implant.

All the best, Grace

January 15th, 2008, 12:50 pm