Smart Red's Blog

For each participant, a special personal 'blog' area to mark with milestones, complaints, goals achieved and many other of your personal thoughts.
Smart Red

March 24

Post by Smart Red » March 24th, 2009, 10:53 am

Breakfast -- 1 egg scrambled, 1 slice w/w toast w/ butter and 1/3 jelly packet, just the top 'skin' off 1/2 of DHs hash browns. . . that comes to less than 1/4 an order, but probably the worst part to eat, water
Snack -- I sat with DH and my water while he had 2 chocolate cookies, cherry coffee cake, and coffee
Lunch -- SOS, stewed tomatoes, 2/34 of a choc. cake (= two cookies), water
Supper -- 1/2 grilled cheese 'n turkey sandwich, Munch 'n Crunch, rest of stewed tomatoes, 4 choc, covered peanuts, water

- - - Walked around Loch Ness for just over an hour. 2.8-ish miles and 490 calories. I didn't see any monster although Ted Danson claims he did.

DH was not amused! He claims I look white as a ghost when I came up, and shouldn't be walking that long at a time. I expected I'd look flushed and red. I am certainly sweating enough.

The grandbabies are out this week for spring break. Mom took them to Chicago for a tour of the Shedd Aquarium and a couple of museums. We have no idea if they'll be spending time with us or not. I did get out for a bit of a walk-a-bout -- a windy walk-a-bout -- early this afternoon. We had a thunder storm this morning, and now the rain has returned. Good! My early garden can use the moisture. When I was out earlier, I was pushing peas back under the soil. They are fat and swollen -- ready to sprout. This rain should bring the peas and radishes out as easily as it is bringing the green back to the lawn.

Smart Red

March 25

Post by Smart Red » March 25th, 2009, 10:51 am

Breakfast -- 1 scrambled egg, 1/4 hash browns, 1 slice w/w toast w/ butter and 1/3 jelly packet, 1/2 orange, water
Snack -- water
Lunch -- Pasta & spagetti sauce w/ meat, green beans, 2/34 choc. cake (=2 cookies), 6 choc. peanuts, water
Supper -- Large lettuce and raw veggie salad w/ baby shrimp, 8 choc. peanuts, 5 oz. wine, 3 fingers (X3) of potato chip crumbs, water

- - - The cold, dreary wet has DH prowling the house. I can't go downstairs for a walk when he's in this mood. I know it's 'cuz he cares, but I hate feeling like I need a 'keeper'.

- - - Walked for 1 hour. . . 2.78 miles. . . 478 calories.

- - - I got another 50 minutes of walking in. Slower this time, I wasn't in any hurry. I managed just over 1.6 miles. . . 282 calories for a total of about 4.5 miles and 760 calories expended today. I need some advice on a way to speed up my metabolism. I should be losing at least 1 pound every 3-4 days. This is based upon the total number of calories needed just to maintain my current weight (over 3,000) - my daily intake of calories (under 2,000). I feel fine, I have plenty of energy, I'm seldom really hungry, my clothes indicate a re-allocation if not a loss of body tissue. The scale, however, fails to comply with evidence of additional weight loss. [sigh]

Smart Red

March 26

Post by Smart Red » March 26th, 2009, 10:18 am

A reprieve from the rain and dreary clouds.

Breakfast -- 1 egg scrambled, 1 raisin toast, 1/2 orange, water
Snack --
Lunch -- Grilled steak, hash browns, green beans, 1/2 banana, water
Supper -- turkey breast sandwich w/ mayo, 2 choc. cookies, potato chip scraps, 5 baby carrots, 5 oz. wine,

- - - Working outside feeding a bonfire. Have enough dry tinder that the pile should burn, but as it does, we notice piles of wet sawdust throughout the pile. Even dry sawdust won't burn easily and after 4 days of rain, this is far from dry.

- - - Walked 1 1/2 miles. Baked cookies. Gonna try something else. This isn't working.

Smart Red

March 27

Post by Smart Red » March 27th, 2009, 8:42 am

Breakfast -- 1 egg scrambled, 1/2 slice w/w toast w/ (-)1/4 jelly packet, water (140)
Snack --
Lunch -- turkey breast, asparagus, lettuce mix (160)
Supper -- Rotisserie chix breast, green beans, water (220 or less). . . . (550 calories for the day)

- - - Walked on the treadmill 40 minutes = 2.02 miles = 342 calories expended.
- - - Walked another 1.5 miles = 254 calories used. Also did floor and wall exercises.
- - - Walked 2.01 miles further = 352 calories. I don't think I'll be back downstairs again tonight. If not, today's total is 5.53 miles and 948 calories burned in walking. That is at least 200 calories more than the total of what I ate today. Hum-m-m, we shall see.
Last edited by Smart Red on March 29th, 2009, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smart Red

March 28

Post by Smart Red » March 28th, 2009, 8:42 am

Breakfast -- 1 French toast w/ syrup, most of 1 sausage patty, coffee, 1/2 orange (250)
Snack -- Water
Lunch -- 1/2 can tuna (in H2O) drained, lettuce, water (60)
Supper -- Egg drop soup, pork rib w/ BBQ sauce, asparagus, 2-3 oz. wine (295). . . . (610 calories total for the day)

- - - Walked 1.5 miles = 254 calories
- - - Walked 1.5 miles = 257 calories also did floor, wall, and resistance exercises
- - - Walked 2.+ miles = 351 calories

That's over 5 miles or 862 calories expended for the day. If it takes 3,500 calories to make one pound, and to retain my current weight takes over 3,000 calories per day, and I've burned more calories just in walking than I've eaten the last two days, then why would a scale read 7 pounds higher from one day to the next? For the last month and a half, I've eaten less than 2,000 calories a day - combined with exercise - and had highly fluctuating results. It's enough to break one's heart. . . oops. . . mine's already broken, that's what the ICD's for. . . anyway it's purely poopie! PLAN B is in effect. Let's hope it's more successful.
Last edited by Smart Red on March 29th, 2009, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smart Red

March 29

Post by Smart Red » March 29th, 2009, 8:16 am

Breakfast -- just over 1/2 of a two egg omelet w/ ham and cheese, most of 1 slice toast w/ apricot preserves, coffee, water (230)
Snack -- water I sat with DH who had windmills and warm chocolate-walnut cookies 'n coffee
Lunch -- Grilled steak, 2 tbs. corn, 1/2 cup instant broccoli soup w/ steamed broccoli added, water (210)
Supper -- Turkey breast, lettuce mix, water (120) . . . . . (560 calories eaten today)

- - - Took a 1 mile walk inside. Outside is blizzard-like. 1.002 = 158 calories. Now to clean up breakfast dishes and make some choc. cookies for DHs coffee break.
- - - Another 1.173 miles = 200 calories Now I'm going back down to do some floor, resistance, and wall exercises. The storm is stopping. We're supposed to have a bit of sunshine before day's end. Not much for thawing temperatures though. I need to go shopping very soon. I don't have much for low calorie veggies left. Lots of beans, peas, and corn, but short on the non-starchy veggies. Also need to start taking a vitamin now and again if I'm gonna keep this low-cal food intake going very long.
- - - Walked 1 mile = 175 calories. Also did half of floor exercises. Now I'm off to brave the snowy roads for town.
- - - Got back from town and boy is the snow melting fast! I couldn't be more pleased except 'THEY' are calling for another snow storm later this week. I decided to paint DHs bedroom closet. That done and everything back in place, I think I'll take another walk before I start supper. I told DH he could have cereal for supper. I don't know what I will have yet. It takes 3 days for ketosis to set in. This is my third day on PLAN B. We shall see. . .
- - - Well, I think I got my last walk for today. Went 1.68 miles = 290 calories burned. Total for today is 4.753 miles walked and 823 calories burned while walking. That's about 293 calories more than I ate today. AND that's not counting my exercising or painting the wall. What does the scale say? I'm up from a total of 10 pounds lost to 9 pounds lost since Feb. 13. What does Seattle Sutton say? "I'm either laying on a couch doing nothing, in a coma, or cheating." This is depressing!!!

Smart Red

March 30

Post by Smart Red » March 30th, 2009, 10:31 am

Breakfast -- 1 egg scrambled, 1 raisin toast dry, water (180)
Snack --
Lunch -- Burger King hamb. patty, water (135)
Supper -- Can of sardines, green beans, 3 oz. wine

- - - Got home late from breakfast. We always stop to see SIL on Mondays and Thursdays. Took 1.179 walk = 200 calories. Short walk because we have to go into town to do some pre-inspection work.

- - - That short work trip into town took 5 hours to complete. Ate breakfast at 7:00 and didn't get around to lunch until after 2:00. I was famished! Shesh! Best I could calculate with Burger King's nutrition chart, the difference between a hamburger and a double hamburger is 130 calories. Since the only difference is the additional patty. . . I didn't eat either bun and I didn't have sauce, ketchup, or mustard, I figured the patty to be 130 calories plain. I did have lettuce, pickle, onion, and tomato. Since the whole side salad is only 15 calories, I added 5 calories for the veggies. I don't suppose I'll get much walking done tonight, but I will try to burn at least as many calories as I ate. That's another 115 calories worth of walking not counting supper.

- - - Didn't get any more walking or exercising done. Perhaps I needed the break.
Last edited by Smart Red on March 31st, 2009, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smart Red

March 31

Post by Smart Red » March 31st, 2009, 7:50 am

Had too much for supper, but I slept through the night w/o the hungries.

Breakfast -- 1 egg scrambled, 1 w/w toast w/ 1/4 pkt. jelly, water (180-ish)
Snack --
Lunch -- 3 small bites of Salisbury steak, 2 smaller bites of mashed spuds w/o gravy, all the green beans and carrot side, too much coffee, all of the jello and pear salad, water
Supper -- 1/3 chix breast, mixed lettuces, 2 oz. wine

- - - Took 2 mile walk on the treadmill = 329 calories. Went to a retired educator's dinner. For $12, I got some 'safe' veggies and a few bites of meat and spuds. The rest of the meal became DHs supper. After fighting the waitress to keep the jello salad passed out at the start of dinner and picked up soon after - I had taken only 5 bites - I ended up eating the rest of it for dessert.

Also checked in at new cardio's office and requested an appointment for an interrogation. It's long overdue, as my last one was with the old cardio in early October. My intent was to get myself signed up for the clinic's cardio rehab/wellness program, and since I need a doctor referral, I caved on the reading as well. Then I stopped by the rehab center. Not much there I'm not already doing at home. I'm thinking of going through the introduction program just to get a borderline 'fitness' evaluation, but doubt I'll waste my time and money for the long term when I can get the same or better results if I keep on doing my own thing at home.

Went from 12:30 to 6:00 without feeling hungry. Definitely in ketosis. That's the positive. The negative is that I have not been getting my water in. I'll have to work on that. It is time for another walk on the treadmill. After a rainy day, the sun has finally made a cheerful appearance. The sun always makes my day better.

Smart Red

April

Post by Smart Red » April 1st, 2009, 9:37 am

Week 1
Wednesday April 1
Breakfast -- 1 egg scrambled, 3 bites hash brown skin, 1 w/w toast w/ 1/4 jelly, water (200-)
Snack -- Water
Lunch -- canned turkey, mixed lettuces, water (70)
Supper --

- - - Just came up from a 2.376 mile walk on the treadmill = 400 calories. Going to run to town on some errands for DH. Couldn't sleep last night. Dog woke me up about 2:00 with her barking. I didn't get back to sleep. Wasn't hungry though.

- - - The good news. Since beginning PLAN B, the scale hasn't been jumping up and down. It is consistently down every day from the day before. It is now down 10 pounds, but not 10 new pounds from the first 2 week's loss. Should be a couple of days until I can count down to a 20 pound loss since Feb. 13. The bad news. 17 pound loss does not make a lower dress, top or pant size. It will take a 40 pound loss before I can expect to benefit from a lower size outfit. The good news. My ear lobs are thinner - earrings fit better; my eyelids are thinner - I see more eye and eye liner; my fingers are thinner- I can get my wedding ring off again; my toes are thinner - tight shoes weren't so tight. The bad news. Even at my ideal weight I have to shop in the fat women's section of the store. The good news. I can now walk for over 2 miles in less than 40 minutes at 3.3 MPH up at 6% incline while singing. That's up from my starting point of 2.5 MPH for .5 miles and then slower for the rest of the mile. The bad news. I'm gonna end up with wings of flab under my arms. Probably as much age as weight loss. The good news. Because my weight is distributed so evenly, I won't have large areas of sagging skin anywhere. Everything may sag a bit together, but no obvious bulging knees, rear, or chin. The bad news. I'll always have an apple shape. The really good news. While my chest will shrink in inches, I will end up with ample mammary tissue for DH. Mom always ended up with tooth-pick legs and a flat chest when she lost weight. That I didn't inherit from her. The even better news, in less than 2 months (mostly since starting my blog) my cholesterol is down 24 points. Blood sugar test results have improved as well. The best news, I feel better than I have since my "Novocain" experience. I think I'll go down and take a walk while DH fixes his tub faucet.

I did get an appointment for the cardio-doc for next Wednesday. PLAN B is NOT the correct way to build a healthy lifestyle. I know that. I tried doing 'it' right for over a month and would have been happy with a 2 pound loss a week, but that wasn't happening. PLAN B is just an unwise(?) and quick lose weight. I'd rather like the doctor to know what I'm doing.

- - - Walked another 1.502 miles = 254 calories. Probably another 500-600 calories for supper. No more exercise for Wednesday.

Thursday April 2

Breakfast -- 1 egg scrambled, dry raisin toast, water
Snack --
Lunch -- Lettuce and veggies salad at Pizza Hut, water
Dinner -- grilled steak, spuds, mushrooms and gravy, cuke salad, 5 oz wine - the good stuff, not the cheap flavored water we usually call wine, 3 mini chocolate eclairs (special treats for DH's 72nd birthday)

- - - Not the best start to the day. It's 4:00 pm and I haven't had any time to get downstairs and walk. Unexpectedly met friends at breakfast. That made our stay longer. Then went to SILs for our usual Thursday visit. Got home just in time to get ready for dentist appt. Left there for an educator luncheon. I had salad only at Pizza Hut (once again) then went shopping for a special birthday dinner for DH. He gets porterhouse. DS and I get much smaller New York strip steak. DH offered to share his rather large steak with us, but after a couple bites declared it was too good not to eat it all himself. Of course I ate more than I've allowed myself lately. I made mushroom gravy with whole button 'rooms for the mashed spuds and steak. Grilled the steaks. Also had cucumber-onion-vinegar salad since it's a favorite of DH. Baked some cookies while dinner was cooking, but chose chocolate eclairs for "birthday cake" dessert. [sigh] I ate more than one.

Even if I walk until bedtime I'll never work off the calories in that meal. Oh, well. It was well worth it for his special day. Now that the grand-babies are off the school bus and have their after school snack, I'm going to try the tread mill despite sore toes from past walking and poor shoes. Oh, well, I just may burn off a few calories tonight before his special day is over. One cheap birthday present, eh?

- - - Nope! Not a step on the tread mill all day! [sigh]

Friday April 3
Breakfast -- 1 egg scrambled, 1 w/w toast w/ 1/4 jelly packet, 3 bits of hash brown skins, water, 1/2 banana
Snack -- Water
Lunch -- broccoli soup, sardines, 1/4 grilled cheese sandwich, water, tangerine, 1/2 choc. cookie
Supper -- 1/2 bagel cheese pizza, water, 5 oz. wine, 3 mini-choc. eclairs (5-1 serving)

Gonna be a great day. The sun is shining and the weather is supposed to be warmer. Gonna be outside for most of the day! Another 'birthday present' for DH. . the widow-maker, hung up in another tree for the past 2 years, came down last night. Now we can clean up the mess and get the shade garden ready for spring. Rah!

- - - Finally got some time on the tread mill. Walked 2.616 miles = 444 calories. Would have walked longer, but Rockford Files hit a snag and stopped broadcasting. Decided not to wait for programming to get fixed. That more than takes care of the calories from breakfast and lunch intake. Hopefully I will get a bit more walking time in yet today. I also need to get some strength and flexibility exercises in.
- - - Did floor exercises. Just keep getting easier and easier in baby steps. Up from 5 almost sit ups to 20+ complete sit-ups. Treadmill walk of 1 mile = 140 calories. Probably done for the night. Gonna get the grandbabies a bedtime snack, tuck 'em in, and I'm getting cleaned up for bed early. Tomorrow will be easier. I haven't gotten to the store in a while for Friday-type Lenten foods and I'm pretty much scrounging the bottom of the cupboards here.

Saturday April 4

Breakfast -- 2 toaster waffles, syrup, sausage washed, coffee, tangerine
Snack --
Lunch --
Supper --

- - - Treadmill 1.006 mile = 171 calories

Smart Red

Re: Smart Red's Blog

Post by Smart Red » April 5th, 2009, 1:56 pm

April 5

So, I have had a bit of trouble with the new site. Hopefully my bugs have worked themselves out. Still haven't figured out how to EDIT.

Breakfast -- 1 egg scrambled, 1 toast, water
Snack --
Lunch -- lasagna, water, green beans, tangerine
Supper -- lettuces, turkey, and 2 oz. wine, water

Got another mile of walking in yesterday that didn't get edited in. Have the grandbabies today and the youngest is feeling ill. Not sure how much I'll get done as far as exercising goes. We shall see. . . Now I see EDIT for this posting only. Hopefully it will show up later today.

Smart Red

Post by Smart Red » April 10th, 2009, 4:21 pm

Still here. Still 'doing it', although, I'm outside longer and longer these spring days. Don't want to post daily like I did since this format means I can't edit during the day anymore.

Keep it up, folks!

Smart Red

Smart Red

Post by Smart Red » April 24th, 2009, 8:27 am

Down another 10 pounds. That's 20 since Feb. 13th.

Sheesh, this is slow work!