Smart Red's Blog

For each participant, a special personal 'blog' area to mark with milestones, complaints, goals achieved and many other of your personal thoughts.
Smart Red

Post by Smart Red » February 25th, 2009, 2:20 pm

Feb. 25

Breakfast -- 1 scrambled egg, 1 slice w/w toast w/ butter and 1/4 packet jelly, water
Snack -- water
Lunch -- corn chowder, piece of cheese cake w/ cherries, water
Supper -- !/2 grilled cheese, 1/2 c. cottage cheese w/ 1/4 c. pineapple, 4 oz. wine

Got a .75 mile walk in. Whew! For some reason it felt tougher than usual. The whole time I went at only 3 MPH, bue most of the time the incline was set at 5 to add resistance since I didn't even try my usual 3.5 MPH intervals. I did some resistance with the bands, some floor exercises, and some push aways.

I wonder what I can make for supper. I think I'd be satisfied with a lettuce salad, but DH will probably want something more substancial -- that and the last piece of cherry cheese cake.

Smart Red

Post by Smart Red » February 26th, 2009, 1:09 pm

Feb. 26

Breakfast -- 1 scrambled egg, 1 slice raisin toast w/ butter, water
Snack --
Lunch -- cole slaw, pork-veggie-barly soup, water
Supper -- 1/2 grilled pork steak, baked beans, 5 oz. wine, 5 almonds, 1/2 cookie

Had to . . . er. . scratch that. . Got to work this morning. It is funny that I never miss teaching until I get a subbing job. Then I can't imagine doing anything else. I am on a high the whole day. And then the next morning and I never give a thought to missing the children, the excitement of learning, the pure fun of teaching. Anyway, I'm high right now. I can't decide if I should get my walk in before DH and DS come in to eat, or wait until after lunch when I'm sure to feel full and unwilling to work out. Guess that means I've gotta get downstairs first. Bye.

I did get just over .8 miles in at a good pace for me. In and around 3.3 MPH for most of that time. Because I feel I don't have good balance, and my feet are too big to allow me to hold on to part of the treadmill as I walk, I've rigged up a jump rope around the treadmill that gives me just enough sense of support to allow me to keep my balance.

I also did those floor and resistance band exercises. Today was the first day since I ran out of Aleve that I felt pain free from the time I woke up. I guess if it took 3 days to realize I was out of Aleve, it is reasonable that it might take 3 days to get back to feeling good again.

I gave up eating between meals. I suppose I could consider snack one of my meals since I do better if I eat something then. Since, even when I make good choices -- a few nuts, a carrot, or an orange -- it seems that as long as I am vertical, I'm always reaching for something to munch on. Taking only one nut at a time is better, but still perpetuating the bad habit of unconscious eating. Perhaps this focus upon not eating between meals will help strengthen my conscious decision to eat or not.

Smart Red

Post by Smart Red » February 27th, 2009, 9:24 am

Feb. 27

Breakfast -- 1 egg scrambled, 1/4 of DHs hash browns, 1 slice w/w/toast w/ butter and jelly, water
Snack --
Lunch -- Can of sardines, crackers, 5 almonds, 1/4 cookie, water
Supper -- Mac and cheese, 2 swallows Root beer, 1 inch slice of cake w/ 1 tbsp. ice cream, water

Have the grandbabies all day as they have no school today. I made pizza for the others and I am hungry. Just got a glass of water. I think I'll go visit my neighbor for a few. Well, I made it to supper w/o snacking. Not one of my favorite foods. Pretty ucky actually, but it's something the grandbabies will eat. And it's non-meat. Darned if I didn't forget 'no meat' today until BGF reminded me during our visit. Lucky for me there hadn't been enough pizza or that's what I'd have eaten. The sardines kept me on track accidently.

Now I need to go downstairs for a walk. Maverick, (7 YO) grandson, made a chocolate cake for dessert. They will have ice cream sandwiches for a snack later, but I had my cake as part of supper. Since I made them ice cream floats with their meal, they really didn't want the cake right away.

That's another problem I have. When I really do watch what I eat. When I am eating properly and in proper amounts, I tend to bake treats for my family even more. Not to tempt myself, but they don't need the extra sugar either. It's something I've always done. Even my students put on weight every time I was on a 'diet'.

Hum-m-m-m. Wonder what's behind that? Love = food. I can't eat it, but I love you. so I bake sweets to show my love? I know Dad always used food to make me feel better when I was sick. If loving me = a healthy diet, then loving my family should mean giving them the equally healthy diet that I am striving for. Hum-m-m-m. Food for thought while I'm walking. Bye for now. Got that .8 mile walk in as well as floor and band exercises. It's still a bit uncomfortable to do the push offs, but everything else is doing well. It seems that each day I am adding something to the 'routine' of exercises. I suppose tomorrow I should up the distance to one full mile. Hopefully, one day soon I'll get someone to bring a TV down. Then there are exercise tapes and activities galore as well as entertainment while I pace.

It's been two weeks since I started here. Scale, as always, is a bit weird. I weighed myself at 4:00 a.m. and then after using the bathroom at 6:00. Again I weighed more after using the bathroom at 6:00 than at 4:00. I know I'm not night eating! That scale just defies understanding. And, yes, I know I shouldn't weigh myself every day. It's just that I'm trying to make sense of how the bloody monster works.

I've got the two grandbabies in bed, and since they're pretty tiring, I'm off to bed myself.

Smart Red

Post by Smart Red » February 28th, 2009, 9:49 am

Feb. 28

Last day of Feb. It's been a day over 2 weeks here. Officially (?) according to my fickle scale, I've lost 10 pounds. Yea, me!

Realizing that if I weighed again, the scale would tell me something totally different, I prefer to take the lowest reading as fact. Why not? It's my scale and my life. As long as the long term effect is being able to wear out some of the lower numbers on the scale sooner or later, I'm pleased with my results and my choices.

5 pounds is a bit over recommendations for weekly weight loss, and little to none of it has been due to fluid loss. I realize that it's easier to take off the first 10 pounds than the last. I don't anticipate 5 pounds a week will become anything near a standard loss. I'm okay with that as well.

Hip, hip, hooray! Go, Red!

Smart Red

Post by Smart Red » February 28th, 2009, 10:00 am

Feb. 28

Breakfast -- 2 French toast w/ butter and small amt. of syrup, sausage crumbles (washed), coffee, water
Snack --
Lunch -- Pork-veggie-barly soup, 2 swallows Root beer, 5 almonds, 1/2" slice chocolate (bundt pan) cake, water
Supper -- Tomato soup, lettuce salad w/ egg 'n almonds, 4 pretzle balls, 5 oz. wine, water

I'm pleased to have a loss I can finally post. I haven't even told anyone in the family that I'm on a "DIET". Bad word. I am really trying to change my lifestyle into an "eat to live" rather than a "live to eat" method of food selection. By simply not snacking and by reducing my portions, no one has noticed that I'm not eating as much.

Once I tell someone, then the feeling of doing this myself, of not having someone else saying. "Are you sure you should eat that?", my sense of control over my own decisions will be gone. Since I am truly doing this for myself, I need to be in control. (Oops! Control is an issue I need to address. . . get to it later.) Anyway, I need to know that I CAN have a slice of cake or piece of pie if I choose to. That makes choosing not to easier.

Over the years, I know I have changed many bad eating habits. Fewer fried foods. Far less gravies and sauces. More whole foods, cooked at home rather than frozen convience foods or take out. It is mostly the constant snacking and poor choices after DH goes to bed that have been my un-doing. So. . . we work on that.

Helped DH take washing machine apart. Seems to be working a bit better. Won't be long before I'll need a new set, I suspect. Now it's time for my walk. Goal is 1 mile today. Doing intervals of slower, faster walking was easier yesterday than ever before. My endurance must be increasing.

Got that 1 mile (plus) walk in. A word of advice, waiting until right after that glass of wine isn't the best choice. Especially if you have problems with balance in the first place. Nearly walked off supper iff'n ya don't count the wine.

It was a good day!

Smart Red

March 1

Post by Smart Red » March 1st, 2009, 6:32 am

Breakfast -- 1 egg scrambled, 1 slice w/w toast w/ butter and abt. 1/3 jelly packet, less than 1/2 of the hash browns DH gave me, water
Snack -- I am so hungry. I thought I'd come and write for a while until lunch is done. Another glass of water, anyone?
Lunch -- split pea soup (2 servings [sigh]), 1/2 slice bread w/ butter, banana/orange/almond/lettuce salad, 1 swallow Root beer, 1/12 donut, water
Supper -- 1/2 peanut butter sandwich, orange, 4 oz. wine, water

It's the first day of March. It's still too dark outside to see anything, but I know it's going to be a good day. As I often say, "Hey, I'm retired. If I don't have a good day it's my own fault."

No grandbabies . . . yet. Usually they stay home with Mom on Sundays when Dad comes out here to work, but it's not written in stone. I love them dearly, see them evey day after school, but my babies are raised and my last class is in 8th grade. Sometimes it's just nice not to be watching children. Guess I'll go get dressed, put a load of DHs clothes in the washer, and have a big glass of water. Without the kidlets, we're able to get out for breakfast.

I have found that brushing my teeth right after eating anything does help. Many foods taste 'tinny' if eaten with fresh brushed teeth. A bad thing if you're going out for a free steak dinner. . . a good thing if you're trying to stop nibbling between meals.
- - -
I'm making split pea soup for lunch. While the peas are cooking, I need to get myself OUT of the kitchen. DH and I went to the grocery store. More fruit and salad fix'ns. I have to think carefully to get everything I want to eat ready for lunch time. Much of what we got would be excellent snacks. We even went to the donut shop for a short coffee break. I got a lemon-filled donut and a glass of water. Still working on the water and the donut is waiting for lunchtime as well. "They" say the best part of any food is the first and last bite, to I'm planning to cut 1/12 off that donut - two small bites - and enjoying the he%@ out of them.

Grandchildren stayed home today. Hm-m-m-m I wonder if the soup will make it through a mile walk without needing a stirring. Guess I'll walk the first half mile, and come up to stir then go back and finish. I really do need to get away from temptation. [sigh]
- - -
DH had me searching on line for a manual. That carried me through until lunch. Soup was fantastic! I make it very seldom, but like it a lot. I had to force myself to eat most of the salad. I need the fiber and the low caloric filling up. Couldn't force the second swallow of Root beer I allowed myself, though. Now I'll try that walk. I feel stuffed! Amazingly, I really didn't want the small piece of donut I cut for myself by the time I was done eating the soup and salad. And here I thought it would be so tasty. NOT!

- - -
Went down for a walk. Got 1/2 mile when it sounded like the washer was rumbling and walking out of the laundry room so I rushed upstairs. There DH was with the dolly and the offer to bring a TV into the basement. After running up and down stairs several times, sweeping the basement floor (needed after installing the oak flooring upstairs), and moving the bike and treadmill, I'm pooped. I doubt I'll be doing that other 1/2 mile walk today. That's okay. 3 times a week is a good goal and I'm doing more than that. The good thing is that the TV will work well down there. The grandbabies can watch their videos or PBS and I can use my exercise tapes.

I'm not sure what supper will be. I do know that it won't be much. I'm still pretty full from lunch. I think I'll do just fine with half a peanut butter sandwich and an orange. It HAS been a good day.

Smart Red

March 2

Post by Smart Red » March 2nd, 2009, 4:45 pm

I started this blog early this morning. Then safari quit before I posted. So . . .

Breakfast -- 1 egg scrambled, 1 piece raisin toast, water
Snack --
Lunch -- Lettuce and veggie salad, spagetti and meat sauce, 1/2 banana, 6 almonds, 2 potato chips, water
Supper -- 1/2 chix salad sandwich, 14 almonds, 4 oz wine, water

Today is bright and sunny. Even though it is cold, that sun is doing its job of melting snow and heating the car. I know it will be a long time from breakfast to lunch today with so little at 7:00 breakfast. I think I need to go grocery shopping and get away from temptation.

- - -
DH sent me to the lumber yard. I'm getting a cold frame for my seedlings. Yeah! I did some other town duties, dropped off another donation to the Overflowing Cup, had a talk with some tenants who aren't living up to their contract, and stopped off at GoodWill to get some "dress-up" clothes for my Gypsy. Never did get to the grocery store. Perhaps tonight? Perhaps tomorrow. That's one good thing about retirement. Anyway, I didn't get home until 2:30 so lunch was at 3:00. I think that may be it for today. I don't think I'll be hungry enough to make supper and DH still has the last piece of Chocolate cake to eat.

I knew getting out of the house would keep me occupied and away from eating. Despite those 17 fast food places around the lumber yard, I was so anxious to get home that it was easy to pass them by.

Now I need to get myself downstairs for a walk. The grandbabies should be getting off the bus right about now, but I think Dad is in a hurry to deliver the furniture he made today.

- - -
Got in just over 1 mile on the treadmill. Did some floor, resistance band and push-off exercises. Just because, I decided to attempt to touch my toes. I did it on the first try! The floor exercises use the same muscle groups and without needing to progress slowly, I touched them on the first try. Next? I'm going for touching the floor in front of my toes. Just a bit more stretching on the floor each day. And, now that the TV is down there, I think I'll try an exercise session with Richard Simmons later tonight. I realize I won't be able to keep up just yet. I will be able to do some of the less intensive movements, though, and I certainly feel good enough to give 'em a try.

I really am glad that I wasn't able to log in at the beginning of the year. For some reason, just the fact that I make getting fit a New Year's resolution is dooming it to failure. By joining in mid February, that stigma isn't there. I don't have to fear failing to keep another New Year's resolution. Check the gyms. All the influx of new members that resolved to start working out there are slowly dwindling and the parking lots are getting back to normal once again.

Me? No resolutions at all. My decision to get fit and eat properly is a factor of my current mind-set not something to do because it's a new year and I'm expected to do something to 'fix' myself. My decision to give up snacking for Lent is harder. I am so-o-o-o used to popping things into my mouth. I think that giving up all between meal snacking will turn out a better choice than just after supper. I also hope Lent is over fast! Breakfasts as small as this morning's is leaving me way short of full.

Strange, the restaurant raises it's prices and DH decides we can't afford to eat out. I order the smallest meal. . . he continues to order his "special" at the new price and 'voila' there's plenty of money for breakfast. Actually, since I also quit drinking coffee with breakfast. (it was free with the special) the bill is lower than before the prices went up.

I may have a glass of wine and . . . what? . . . something small for 'supper' and I'll talk DH into chips and/or chocolate cake and ice cream for his supper. Carrots are crunchy and chewy. They might work for supper. I'd really like a few grapes, but didn't get to the store. And 10 almonds. That's it baby carrots, almonds, and wine. Sounds perfect!

Hopefully I will get down to exercise with Richard. I've been getting up pretty early and any date with Richard must, must, must wait until DH has gone to bed.

- - -
Nope! DH wanted real food. I made chicken salad sandwiches. That worked just fine. I also found some wine I bought for cooking (NOT cooking wine, the good stuff). Lucky me. We were out of all the other wine. I almost had to get the hard stuff down from back of the cupboard. I DO NEED to get to the grocery store tomorrow.

Not gonna make it downstairs again tonight. It's only 7:30 and I'm ready to go to bed. I hope Richard understands why I stood him up.

Smart Red

March 3

Post by Smart Red » March 3rd, 2009, 9:30 am

The day is looking great! I am feeling great!

Breakfast -- 1 egg scrambled, 1 w/w toast, 1/3 packet of jelly, -1/4 small hash browns, most of an orange, water
Snack --
Lunch -- Spanish potato 'n hamburger hash, green beans, 2 potato chips, 4 cherry tomatoes, 1 still-warm cookie, water
Supper -- 1 BBQ chix thigh, 2 tbs. baked beans, 3/4 grilled cheese sandwich, 7 chips, 1 banana slice, water

Going down to try my mile walk before starting the cleaning. Perhaps I'll have energy this evening for an exercise video if I get my mile early.

- - -
Don't know exactly how long I walked. Somewhere after .5 miles I accidentally pulled the safety chord so I started over and went another .5 miles. Felt the need to up the ante, so I set the walk for 3.3 MPH. Worked up a sweat - a trick in the cool basement - without feeling tightness in my chest. Also did floor exercises - crunches, leg lifts, etc. - resistance bands for upper body strength, and push offs.

Went up the road to "Cheer up" BF who was feeling a bit funky. That worked to get me out of the house and away from temptation. So far the day has been just great! It's beautiful looking outside right now and the temperatures are warming. DH is out in the wood shop building my cold frame. Now it's time for me to start planning lunch.

Drinking water when I feel hungry, brushing teeth every time I eat, exercising a bit more every day, and giving up those snacks for Lent all seem to be working well for me. My energy level is up. My food intake is down. Wish I could report that my weight is dropping as well, but it's supposed to be slow going. At least the scale is keeping my numbers close to the 10 pound loss rather than shooting up and down dramatically.

- - -
The kids stayed for supper. We had a hodge-podge of things to fill everyone up since I didn't have enough of any one thing. Got in another mile walk after supper. Yea, me! I did get to the grocery store. I'm not sure about all of my choices. It started to look like I was selecting things just to test my determination. Not a good idea! I actually put some things back when I realized what I was doing. There are still a few things I shouldn't have purchased 'cuz I like them better than DH does, but they are things the grandbabies like as well. I also picked up plenty of canned, fresh and frozen veggies for myself. At lunch I managed to fill up mostly on the green beans so I ate less of the spud hash than the others.

Smart Red

March 4

Post by Smart Red » March 4th, 2009, 10:59 am

Another beautiful day. The sky is clear and the sun is bright. Temperatures are supposed to reach 48 degrees (F) or so before the clouds start rolling in. I've been out playing fetch with the fur baby and off for a BF visit before she leaves for St. Louis for a week. Now I'm ready to swish'n swipe'n mop'n dust a bit.

Breakfast -- 1 egg scrambled, 1 w/w toast w/ butter and 1/3 packet jelly, less that 1/4 DHs hash browns, water
Snack --
Lunch -- chix-veggie soup, lettuce salad w/veggies, fruit salad = (1/2 small banana, 1/2 orange, 4 dried apricots, 9 almonds), water
Supper -- Steak stir fry, 5 oz. wine

Got my mile in right after breakfast. That should mean I can handle another mile in the afternoon. Today I MUST, MUST, MUST start taxes. I don't want the weather too warm and the garden calling too loudly with me still plodding away for Uncle Sam. Fortunately, it is supposed to rain Thursday and Friday. Then, despite the warm temperatures, working inside should still be okay.

Wish others would post once in a while. I was hoping for mutual commiseration and support on the Weight-loss Forum. [sigh] Anywho, I'm feeling pretty good about my progress. Not too sure about lunch. . . guess I'll make chix soup of some sort. I've got the noodles and veggies and left-over chicken.

- - -
Sure was hungry for lunch. Between deciding what to make and the time it took in the pressure cooker, we didn't eat lunch until after 2:00. It's a long time from 6:30 to 2:00 with only a glass of water to keep you from temptation.

We had our first walk-a-bout this spring, DH and I. The weather is fantastic. I found daffodils and crocus poking up to check the weather. After our walk, I went down stairs for 1/2 mile on the tread mill and some floor and wall exercises.

- - -
Great idea for supper. Lots of good veggies, a bit of steak, and a hot wok. Haven't had stir fry for a while and can't remember why not. I love it. DH finished the chocolate cake w/ ice cream after supper. Whew! Glad that's out of the house. Now, a few more cookies. . .

Sure glad the government decided to switch TV to digital. Now there's even less to watch and the quality is terrible - depending on the weather. Guess I'll go downstairs for either a walk or a return to the 50s with Richard. Love that music even if it does leave me breathless. Hum-m-m-m, considering we're still drinking that wine I bought for cooking, and it's a bit. . . a lot stronger than the cheap stuff we usually imbibe in, I'd better opt for the dance routine and keep both feet on solid ground.
Last edited by Smart Red on March 4th, 2009, 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DonnaB

Post by DonnaB » March 4th, 2009, 11:22 am

I read your blog just about every day but don't always reply.I find your entries interesting and often funny.I especially enjoyed reading about your dates with Richard LOL.I have 2 of his tapes....Sweating to the oldies and another one that I don't recall the name of.I think they are pretty good workouts myself.I am not a great dancer but at least it is good movement.

I was starting to eat out too much so for Lent I only allow myself to eat out once a week and only if I make healthy choices.I am at goal weight but in the maintenance phase so I do try and make sure that I don't get out of my weight range.

You are doing great with losing 10 pounds and also with increasing your exercise amounts at a steady pace.I know it is harder with tempting foods that you have for your DH,kids,and grandkids.My youngest dtr has not so healthy foods along with healthier choices so sometimes she eats like thin mint Girl Scout cookies that really call my name.

It is slowly warming up here in Arkansas.We had snow last weekend.Tomorrow it is supposed to reach 70 and that makes me happy.

DonnaB

Jean

Post by Jean » March 4th, 2009, 9:03 pm

omg Im not a big writer but I am a big READER and I read your posts everyday to like donna I love them and you are an inspiration to me keep it up. :D
Jean

Cardiomyothapy,LBBB, CHF, Diabetes
Cognis CRT-D implanted May 11,2010

Smart Red

March 5

Post by Smart Red » March 5th, 2009, 7:19 am

Yea, me! I tried Sweat'n 1 last evening and made it all the way through on the first try. Sure surprised me. Don't feel any new achy muscles this morning either. I guess my past 3 weeks did enough to build me up that I never felt out of breath at all. The only 'tough' part was marching. Using the treadmill my usual way doesn't get the knees up quite that far. And balancing on one foot is something I really need to work on. There's no known reason for me to feel unsteady and Lord knows my size feet should give me a big base of support.

Breakfast -- 1 egg scrambled, 1 raisin toast w/ butter, water
Snack --
Lunch -- Salad at Pizza Hut, water
Supper -- Left over pea soup (DH had the chicken soup). steak, fruit bowl of 1/2 orange, 1/2 banana, 2 dried apricots, some cashews, 2 sugar wafer cookies, 5 oz. wine.

Thanks for the support. I'm alone in the computer room. I'm alone in the basement. It's good to know there's someone here. DH asked something about my exercising. I told him I was preparing for spring work in the yard and gardens. Usually that means a week of aches and pains as my muscles get back to being used. I still have no intentions of mentioning weight loss goal.

- - -
Didn't get that orange for breakfast. I forgot it when we left before 6:30 and there's no way I can count an orange 2 and 1/2 hours later when we got home as part of breakfast. (insert tummy rumbles here) Must be time for a walk.

- - -
Went to an educator's get-together at Pizza Hut. First time for me that all I had was a salad. A big salad, yes, with lots of veggies, but no pizza, no pasta, no dessert. It's a beautiful day here is south-est, central-set Wisconsin, but a bit. . .a big bit breezy. I'm feel'n sort'a funky, like I'm getting a sinus infection. Sure hope not!

- - -

Didn't get any walking in until after supper. Just didn't feel like doing anything today. Still, I went down and decided I'd just walk .5 mile and call it quits. Not sure I'd even make it the whole distance, I just started with one foot in front of the other over and over. By the time I stopped the treadmill I had walked just over 1 mile.

I'm still tired. Still don't feel like doing anything. But, I did get a walk in today and I'm pretty happy with myself. I really need to get my (first?) walk in early. That seems to set me up to keep going all day.

Started taxes today. Yuck! Already I can feel my blood pressure rising, a tension headache starting, and a fight with DH in the near offing. Happens every year. [sigh]. Not a fight exactly, just stressful time.

Hum-m-m, wonder if I can deduct the cost of my ICD as a preparation expense?

Smart Red

March 6

Post by Smart Red » March 6th, 2009, 9:27 am

Breakfast -- 1 egg scrambled, 1 w/w toast w/ 1/3 jelly packet, 1/4 small hash browns, water
Snack --
Lunch -- Wild salmon - grilled, boiled spuds, creamed peas, 1/12 chocolate silk pie, 5 dried apricot halves, 8 oz. wine.
Supper -- none . . . we ended up eating lunch at 4:30 so I doubt I'll be doing any further eating tonight.

Got up early again today. I think my body is getting itself ready for setting the clocks back. Won't be a 'shock' to my system. It was a beautifully mild morning despite the heavy fog. While DH started up the corn burner in the wood shop, I got my first walk outside since last November. Just went round and round the turn-a-round for the 10-15 minutes it takes for the blower to kick in. Not a fast walk, but a better stride than on the treadmill, and since half the walk is up hill, I got a good enough workout. I hate uphill!

It is easy to see that I am predictable at breakfast. That just happens to be the cheapest meal. Although it may seem too many eggs for a week, I've never had a cholesterol problem. Lucky for me because I am a carnivore through and through, although, I do try to include meatless and low meat meals. Guess I'll try getting a mile in early before I start to clean.

- - -
Did that mile this morning on top of my pre-breakfast walk outside. Also did floor and push off exercises. Had a dentist appt. this afternoon and didn't have time to make lunch first. DR. said not to chew on that side -- lucky for me the very late lunch/early supper was nearly a no chew meal anyway. Yum! It's one of my favorites, but I seldom make it. I DID have time to make a chocolate silk pie. Decided to have one small piece. That's all I'll be able to get anyway once the grandbabies and DS catch sight of it.
Now I think I'll got down stairs and take another walk on the treadmill and get some resistance band exercises in today.

- - -
I did get another mile in. That makes at least 2.5 miles of walking today plus the floor and resistance band exercises. Yea, me! The grandbabies are here for our Friday night sleep-over. We (they) will be having malts and popcorn before bed. Just brushed my teeth. Water should do just fine for me.

That dratted scale is terrible on my ego. According to the scale, I weighed -10 pounds before bed . . . after a day of eating and drinking. When I woke up and weighed again it read -9 pounds. Now the blasted thing is reading ERROR. I know the battery is going out, but that shouldn't make it temperamental with the numbers.

Time to go play with Gypsy and Maverick.

Smart Red

March 7

Post by Smart Red » March 7th, 2009, 9:40 am

Breakfast -- 2 1/2 toaster waffles w/ tbsp. butter and 2 tbsp syrup, sausage patty, coffee, water
Snack --
Lunch -- A bit too much goulash, 1 orange, 6 dried apricot pieces, 1/12 chocolate silk pie, 1/2 handful cashews, water
Supper -- 7 crackers w/ 7 pieces of cheese, (Campbells) chick'noodle soup, 5 oz. wine, handful cashews, 4 dried apricot pieces

Got my first(?) mile walk in early this morning. Gotta go make breakfast for the granddaughter.

- - -
It is a drippy, dreary, do-nothing day. Fed the grandkids just before Dad came to pick them up so he ate too. Somehow about that time I must have pinched a nerve. All I did was take a step and suddenly felt a jolt of electricity run up my back. Could barely lift my foot to take a step and my back hurt something fierce. I tried everything I could think of to relieve the pain. Something must have worked 'cuz a few hours later I felt good enough to take another walk. Just slow and steady. I went very slow, only 2 MPH. I managed to easily get 1.33 miles at that pace. Most of the time I'm walking at 3.3 to 3.5 MPH, so it felt extremely slow, but it was exercise, and my back didn't hurt to do it. I also did more floor exercises toward strengthening back muscles. Don't know if I'll get a walk or video in yet today after DH goes to bed. I'd like to.

- - -
Took another 1 mile (+) walk. At 2.2 MPH I could walk all day with no shortness of breath at all. That's over 3.33 miles walked today. Plenty of floor, band, wall, and ball exercises too. My back feels great again. The muscle in my leg that started hurting this morning no longer hurts. Except for being tired and ready for bed, I feel pretty good. . . and pretty proud of myself. Obviously I didn't get much else done today. Hopefully tomorrow I'll start out feeling better and get some REAL work done.

Smart Red

March 8

Post by Smart Red » March 8th, 2009, 9:44 am

Breakfast -- 1 egg scrambled, 1 w/w toast w/ butter and 1/3 jelly packet, 1/4 DHs hashbrowns, water
Snack --
Lunch -- Rotisserie chicken, baked yam, stuffing, 5 dried apricots, water. . . all yum
Supper -- Banana Cream Pie (light) yogurt, 1/12 chocolate silk pie, 4 dried apricots, tbsp. cashews, water

Another rainy day. Just got my mile and other exercises in. Not much going on today so I guess I'll do Monday's cleaning early. Also need to stain cut ends and varnish the shoe in hall and bedroom. This dreary day should be just fine for such things. I'm thinking of making some bread today as well. . . maybe, perhaps.

- - -
Just finished lunch. 7 hours from breakfast to lunch is pretty long. I was read to eat and I made one of my favorites. Now I am stuffed! Each bite was delicious and I enjoyed every one. Just plain - a yummy yam, dark meat from the chicken w/o skin, and way too much home-made stuffing (my favorite). I actually gave the rest of the pan of stuffing to the dog right away to avoid the temptation to go back for more. Even the dog is stuffed. Got the dishes done, leftover chix put away, and the kitchen cleaned. Now I really, really, really need a walk! It's been raining all day. The water is running in the gully out back. DH has found something to do in the wood shop. I guess I'll go downstairs for a traipse through the landscape of whatever old-time show is on TV and hopefully avoid the criminals along the way.

- - -
Went downstairs for a walk to "Run For Your Life" and "The Bold Ones". Managed just over a mile and dodged all the bullets. Then I (stupidly) turned on Sweat'n I with Richard. Sheesh! By the time it was almost over I kept telling Richard to hurry up so I could get to the bathroom. Whew! Then DH came down with more trim he made for staining. I suppose I'd better get to work on that before I'm too pooped to lift a brush. Not gonna get any bread made today after all. I'm not of a mood to punch anyone out and bread is best made in a fit of anger.