Aamos's Blog

For each participant, a special personal 'blog' area to mark with milestones, complaints, goals achieved and many other of your personal thoughts.
Mark

Aamos's Blog

Post by Mark » December 31st, 2008, 7:48 pm

Aamos's Blog

Aamos

Support

Post by Aamos » January 7th, 2009, 2:55 pm

Hi, as most of you know, I'm a support person. D. changed his eating habits significantly after his bypass, and is maintaining the healthy changes. Being raised on a cattle farm, he was your classic midwestern meat and potatoes guy. We cut out all red meat except the occasional 93% lean ground beef meal after the bypass in June. This Dec., I suggested he treat himself to a lean steak for the holidays, just to take the "I can't ever have steak again" feeling.

He did, and interestingly said while it was good, it wasn't as big a deal as he thought it would be. He's expanded the list of fish he'll eat and is much more engaged in meal planning. It's great for me, as we eat the same things now, and I don't have to make 2 dinners!

His doctor ok'ed him going back to running, so we signed him up for a race and have him on a training schedule. Even if you can't or don't like running, a lot of 5Ks (3.1 miles) and 10Ks (6.2 miles) have walking divisions. If you find one in your area, and your doc says it's ok, why not sign up? It's a wonderful incentive to stick with your plan, especially if you shell out some $$ for the registration fee!

I'm not a trained nutritionist or trainer, but I run at a fairly competitive level for an old lady (54) and if I can help anyone, let me know. I've been in sports all my life and have learned a few things (some the hard way, by over training, for example). Be sure, if I don't know the answer, I'll be the first to tell you--health is too important to mess around with, as we all know all too well.

grins,
A
Amy/Aamos--wife of DanL, who had SCA 6/1/08; 4x bypass 6/5/08 and Guidant Vitality dual chamber ICD 11/7/08