It is currently August 24th, 2017, 5:30 am

Marks Blog 

Post Marks Blog
Alright, I'll be first. It is New Years Eve- I had shrimp scampi and wilted greens (Escarole). I didn't overeat but have had enough to be full. I shudder to think of what the calorie count was on that let alone the carbs (diabetic) and fat amount ::ugh::. Of course, with the fat I used very little butter and olive oil so I feel a bit better...... but not much! ;)

That was my last 'hurrah' as it goes- had that lovely shrimp from my sister and since she is on a life change diet like me, she promises no more shrimp from Florida when she visits. I told her don;t be silly, I will treat myself to one shrimp scampi a year as long as I have been strict with my diet preceding it. (Shit, that's a LOT of strict!!!)

I am determined to lose weight the healthy way by not dieting but changing my lifestyle towards food. I really am doing some serious prayer for this because I know over weight is unhealthy especially for anyone with heart problems.

Round One: ICD implanted Feb. 2006: Medtronic Intrinsic, 2 leads- St.Jude 1388tc (Atrial), 6947 Medtronic Sprint Quattro Secure (RV/SVC).....
Round Two: July 17 2011, meet Medtronic Virtuoso 2 DR- same leads, cleaner scar.
5 shocks whoooo hoooo!

Image Run Matilda, Run!

December 31st, 2008, 8:09 pm

Ugh, watching Ryan SeaBarf hosting the Dick Clark NYE thingie, and I am dying to munch on something- anything.... Matilda, come here!!! :lol:

I thinking that as long as I am able to fill up on good old H2O (no bloating or retention problems) it helps keep you from wanting to snack in
between meals. Also noticing a supply of sugar free gum helps too. I am sure I can find many distractions for snacking. See, being raised in an Italian household we all find the way to deal with anything is to eat, and if that doesn't work, then a few glasses of wine and THEN some food... what a nasty cycle... I can break it I'm sure.

Round One: ICD implanted Feb. 2006: Medtronic Intrinsic, 2 leads- St.Jude 1388tc (Atrial), 6947 Medtronic Sprint Quattro Secure (RV/SVC).....
Round Two: July 17 2011, meet Medtronic Virtuoso 2 DR- same leads, cleaner scar.
5 shocks whoooo hoooo!

Image Run Matilda, Run!

December 31st, 2008, 10:50 pm

I can see you are tackling this with humor and quite normal, a bit of fear. The thought of a lifestyle change and not a "diet" is a good attitude to start with. Make sure you are not denying yourself of things you REALLY like. Once you get the hang of things and feel you can handle your new found discipline (and it will come and yepper you will need discipline) then you should be able to occasionally have those favorite things but making sure they are small or normal portions.

If you care to read some of my tips you can go to my blog area. I've lost over the past year or so about 26 lbs. Some things I tried didn't work and some did.

Thanks for doing this group, support is probably the number one thing that is needed to be successful. I'm hoping I can convince my hubby to come and join in. He is hoping to loose a bit of pounds in the new year.

I wish everyone success in this new year!!

Medtronic Virtuoso DR 7-21-08
2 SCA's 6-22-08

January 2nd, 2009, 9:46 am

Well i have to say that while extremely busy with planning out this years updates to the house and being business with trying to get a business venture off the ground, I believe I am losing weight- not as quickly as I would like but none the less I don;t feel as bloated AND my blood sugar is down!~ Amen for that!! More to come....

:::chanting::: don't eat the cake, don't eat the cake......

5 shocks whoooo hoooo!

Image Run Matilda, Run!

January 22nd, 2009, 5:10 pm

Post Good job Mark!!!
Mark that is awesome news that you are losing weight and that your blood sugars are better.

Now just pretend the cake is made of slugs,worms,and spiders LOL and maybe it will seem less tasty to you.

DonnaB

January 23rd, 2009, 10:33 am

It's great that you are seeing the benefits of both the weight and the sugars. I know that both battles are tough individually and it takes a great deal of determination to fight them jointly.

I would guess that you are a pretty brave soul trying to start a business venture now. That is definitely an optimist at work (I tend to be a bit on the optimistic side myself).

What are you doing to lose the weight and control your sugars? I am always looking for new ideas.

Keep up the good work,

January 27th, 2009, 2:37 pm

OMG, I have so stumbled and crashed with my posting- I am so sorry but also mad at myself. I have been reading Red's blog and loving it- a good lesson to learn for me. I MUST GET MORE ON THE BALL! Just find the time.....find the time....

I resolve as April to start making more time for myself to do this! Although I have really changed my ways of eating, which is GREAT!

5 shocks whoooo hoooo!

Image Run Matilda, Run!

March 30th, 2009, 11:30 am

"Just find the time.....find the time...."

Change that to "just make the time....make the time...." Just give yourself 15 minutes a day to move, to walk, to stretch, to. . . to. . . whatever!

You can do anything for 15 minutes!

Go for it, Mark!

Much love, Red

March 30th, 2009, 5:07 pm

Post Re: Kramozzam's Blog
I find that one of the simplest things we can do is walk- walk. It's a tough one for me as my medications keep me pretty foggy and I am always wondering if it is meds or A-Fib or V-Tavh.... ACK- it never ends. But the one thing that has ended is the bad eating habits and eating out of boredom. Well to be honest I don't know if I actually ate out of boredom but it was easy to sit down with a bowl of popcorn and just whale through it and then make another.... bad Mark, bad bad Mark!

But I have transformed myself into good Mark and I am being a very good boy- a sample of my daily menu is as follows: (I am copying this from a letter I sent to a member here that asked for some advice)

Breakfast:
1/2 cup egg beaters
1 1/2 Tbls low fat cheese
1 Friehoffers mini pita
8 oz skim milk

Lunch
4-5 ounces lean meat (red meat once a month, use chicken, turkey or fish.)
1 cup vegetables ( I usually have a couple tomatoes)
8 oz skim milk

Dinner:
4-5 ounces lean meat (see above)
1 cup vegetables ( or 1 1/2 cups... no starchy stuff like corn or potatoes, best to have something green like broccoli, salad, tromato, beans, etc...)

Comments? Please do.... :)

5 shocks whoooo hoooo!

Image Run Matilda, Run!

July 10th, 2009, 12:27 pm

GRRRRRRRRR, down another few pounds putting me at a loss of 74 pounds total. So much more but it is coming off this time! I am celebrating in my head and I am enjoying the party! :lol:

5 shocks whoooo hoooo!

Image Run Matilda, Run!

July 15th, 2009, 9:14 pm

Today it's official- 80 pounds gone! I feel great and can't wait to get more off- and I celebrated by cleaning the house and that was very little effort really. It is great to be getting back to being in shape!

Color me excited!!!! :D

5 shocks whoooo hoooo!

Image Run Matilda, Run!

July 31st, 2009, 10:21 am

Post Re: Marks Blog
Yep yep yep... It is time! I can do this. I think.......

5 shocks whoooo hoooo!

Image Run Matilda, Run!

June 25th, 2012, 12:37 am

Post Re: Marks Blog
Mark...Your diet sucks..I hope this time round your going to eat something a bit more healthy....also its so rigid how can you possibly stick with it.........and im speaking from experience.....been there done that.....and not only that .....its dangerous for your heart...you know if your body doesnt get enough food and carbs it starts eating it own muscle...and the heart is a huge big muscle...

couple of years ago i went from 115lbs...normal weight to 170 .......i blamed it on my beta blockers...being inactive after my first heart attack....and cake.....so i went on this strict strict diet like you......and lost 70lbs in 3 months....i was as sick as the proverbial dog, weak, and had palpitations like you wouldnt believe....if i ate anything above my allotted calories it immediately stuck to my bum......i was following a diet here in canada called Dr Bernsteins.......soon as i started eating semi normally back back weight again.....

Id love to diet again but im scared....chf and Cardiac arrest are last on my list of things i wanna get again.......if your interesting in setting up a diet thread or forum im sure im not the only person who would be interesting in hanging out and swopping help...encouragement...recipes and methods of avoiding gaining weight lol???? right now i could do with losing 50lbs.....i think theres force in numbers ......

June 25th, 2012, 7:55 pm
Profile E-mail