Free Smart Phone Apps

A Forum for those with or for those who know people with ICD's and are interested in their ongoing desire and work towards optimum weight.
Jim and Sparky

Free Smart Phone Apps

Post by Jim and Sparky » July 15th, 2011, 9:31 am

I have gained a few pounds this year and even though my doctors didn't seem to be concerned, it was bothering me a bit. I thought I would try and watch my diet and exercise a little closer and so I picked up a couple of free Apps for my Blackberry to help me do that.

One is called "Endomondo" and uses the GPS device in the phone to track exercise distances, time and speed (even elevation which is useless around here because the terrain is so flat). I use it for walking and bicycling and have really had some fun with it. For instance I determined that I actually walked about 4.4 miles one day in 3 separate walks I took that day. For a free program it does a decent job and is easy to use. It also computes an estimate of calories burned.

The other App I got is called My Fitness Pal. This App is useful for dieting purposes. You can input the foods and snacks you eat each day. You can set some weight loss goals and it will estimate the calories of what you eat and compare that to your goals. You can also enter your exercise (which I track in Endomondo) and it will estimate your calories burned which means you can EAT MORE!

I was surprised at how sophisticated the foods data base is. Supposedly there are over 700,000 foods in their reference library. It accesses their main web site to get this info. I had no trouble finding a turkey and ham sandwich from Subway. For many food items you have to just find something close. You might be off a little bit but there's no need to get too carried away. Hey, I'm an accountant, who cares about accuracy? :)

Another report it will provide is an estimate of dietary statistics for things such as fat, cholesterol, sodium, potassium, sugars and many other food statistics. This has actually turned out to be very interesting to me because, for one thing, the sodium numbers were way more than I thought they would be. Way more! And I always thought I watched that pretty well. A Quizno's vegetarian sandwich I ate was apparently loaded with sodium.

Both of the programs actually send data to a web host and from your computer you can look at the information that is transmitted from your smart phone on a web page just for you. Actually kind of cool! Of course Rupert Murdoch and his newspapers could probably hack into it with ease, but who cares.

Anyway, I have learned a bit about my diet and the relationship with exercise. But the best part is that they were FREE!

As an accountant, I am always into FREE!

Of course some might say I am just cheap. They are probably right.
MI 1/21/11; SCA's 2/3/11 and 2/4/11
I have a Boston Scientific Teligen ICD and a Boston Scientific Promus stent,
I guess my cardiologist is sort of a BS kind of guy.

Two rules to live by:
1) Don't sweat the small stuff!
2) It's all small stuff!

My Intro is on this page: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 917#p74917

Juicydb

Re: Free Smart Phone Apps

Post by Juicydb » July 16th, 2011, 5:53 pm

I use the Fitness Pal app every day and have lost 12 pounds since I began working with it. I'm very interested in the other app and will look for something like it on my iPhone. Thanks for the information and good luck!

Jim and Sparky

Post by Jim and Sparky » July 16th, 2011, 11:00 pm

Congrats on losing the 12 lbs. That's fantastic. My goal is about 15 lbs to lose, but only have been using this for about a week now. What an eye opening experience it has been to watch the statistics pile up. I actually took a nutrition course in college, but have learned a lot already about some foods that I didn't think were too bad for me.

My wife and I have been fairly careful for a long time. We switched to soy milk about 3 years ago. I have been able to maintain the calorie goal pretty well. I think it actually encourages me to exercise a little more and keeps me from snacking too much.

My daughter turned me onto the Endomondo program. She has been using it for awhile. It is fun to use. You can see a map of each exercise which is interesting to look at. Since a lot of my exercise is walking or biking, it is useful.

Jim

Two rules to live by:
2) It's all small stuff!

My Intro is on this page: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 917#p74917

pbeesley

Post by pbeesley » July 27th, 2011, 12:42 pm

Hi,
Im another myfitnesspal user on my iphone. I tend not to trust the exercise stats as it seems to be very generous, when im in the gym i use a heart rate monitor and i manually input the stats, im getting pretty good now at estimating minutes and intensity of exercise compared to what my HRM offers.

I did loose weight, then had a birthday party, a weekend of eating and a long weekend away, im back to where I was a few weeks ago, but hey i feel better for it :lol:

Id love an accurate way of measuring swimming stats, i dont want to wear a strap in the pool so i have to guess but i know its way out compared to the speed i actually swim, everyone overtakes me ;-)

Cheers
Regards
Paul

http://www.facebook.com/pbeesley

Medtronic ICD Fitted Aug 2010. Liverpool heart and chest hospital
Asprin 75mg, Atorvastatin 10mg, Bisoprolol Fumrate 5.0mg, Clopidogel 75mg, Furosemide 20mg. Lansoprazole 30mg, Levothyroxine 25mg, Ramipril 12.5mg

Jim and Sparky

Post by Jim and Sparky » July 27th, 2011, 3:54 pm

Hey Paul,
Its good to find another user of the program.
I am sure its not highlt accurate. I have trouble finding something close for something I ate sometimes, so lots of times I just find something close and make a little guess or two.
I am not really interested in the accuracy as much as learning the general good or bad about what I eat. Sometimes if I guess I'll make it err on the high side as far as calories are concerned.
I have been watching the calories and have only "blown" it on a couple of days. I really think it is helping.

Jim

Two rules to live by:
2) It's all small stuff!

pbeesley

Post by pbeesley » July 28th, 2011, 12:54 pm

Hi,
I tend to do the same with some foods and choose something similar, quite lucky though we shop at Asda (Wallmart) and allot of own brand foods are included in the database they maintain which is helpful.

like you say if anything it gives you a good idea what you are eating and how damaging (well ok just the nice stuff) is to your weight.

I have used the online version a few times and the success stories and photographs people post really do give you some motivation.

Cheers
Regards
Paul

http://www.facebook.com/pbeesley

Medtronic ICD Fitted Aug 2010. Liverpool heart and chest hospital
Asprin 75mg, Atorvastatin 10mg, Bisoprolol Fumrate 5.0mg, Clopidogel 75mg, Furosemide 20mg. Lansoprazole 30mg, Levothyroxine 25mg, Ramipril 12.5mg

Nolan

Post by Nolan » July 10th, 2013, 10:25 pm

My objective is about 15 lbs to reduce, but only have been using this for about per weeks time now. What an eye starting encounter it has been to look at the research load up. I actually took a nourishment course in higher education, but have discovered a lot already about some meals that I didn't think were too bad for me.