Exercise/ICD issues

A Forum for those with or for those who know people with ICD's and are interested in their ongoing desire and work towards optimum weight.
pbeesley

Exercise/ICD issues

Post by pbeesley » June 16th, 2011, 12:43 pm

Hi,
I know a few people on the board exercise i just have a quick question to cure my paranoia.

I had an MI last year and 6 months of cardiac rehab to try and get some fitness back, it worked great but i found some of the exercises a bit lame, i felt like I wanted to do more and for a longer periods so I eventually dusted of my Gym membership this week and have started visiting again.

I wear a HRM and luckily for me the gym equipment reads my strap and reports my heart rate, its pretty accurate when I monitor it against my watch but im constantly slowing down paranoid about my heart rate.

I average about 60/70 bpm at rest and when im exercising (walking or cycling) this goes up to about 110 and I back off and chill out for a bit, opting to keep it around 100.

Its probably the wrong thing to do as I don't think my ICD is interested until my heart rate hits 142, i just don't have any experience of this.

Anyone have any thoughts ?, I will ask my GP but im not due to visit until the 4th July.

Cheers
Paul
Regards
Paul

http://www.facebook.com/pbeesley

Medtronic ICD Fitted Aug 2010. Liverpool heart and chest hospital
Asprin 75mg, Atorvastatin 10mg, Bisoprolol Fumrate 5.0mg, Clopidogel 75mg, Furosemide 20mg. Lansoprazole 30mg, Levothyroxine 25mg, Ramipril 12.5mg

Tara.B

Re: Exercise/ICD issues

Post by Tara.B » June 16th, 2011, 1:50 pm

Hey Paul,

I'm normally super low resting, some where between 50/60. When I exercise I just go for it unless I'm not feeling well. I try not to check my heart rate too often unless something doesnt feel right. Although I'm still pretty restricted cause I tend to be SOB alot, I try not to let it distract me.
Also my ICD is set all the way up around 200 bpm before I get a blast, and my pacer down at 40 before it kicks in. Maybe if you talk to the Dr you can see about having the settings adjusted to better accomodate your lifestyle. I'm don't know the particulars of your situation, or if changing the settings is an option but it never hurts to ask!
I hope you can get it all figured out, Good Luck and Be Well.

-Tara

Juicydb

Post by Juicydb » June 16th, 2011, 2:11 pm

Just be sure to warn the gym staff so they are prepared if you should trigger a shock and wear an appropriate medical ID. I was assured that it is unlikely but not impossible, for your ICD to confuse exercise induced heart rare increases with malignant tachycardias. That said, I did get a blast while jogging because my ICD was reading the T-wave of my heartbeat as a separate beat, in effect doubling the heart rate. My EP tinkered with the settings and I've had no repeats. My ICD is set fairly low so I try to keep my rate below 130. Good luck! Julia

pbeesley

Post by pbeesley » June 16th, 2011, 2:51 pm

Cheers thanks for the input I suppose ill be laughing about this in 12 months time, in Cardiac Rehab I had the advantage of a team of nurses on standby and it was in a local hospital. Half the staff at the gym i go would probably get confused buttering a piece of toast, they are only kids. Listen to me i sound like my parents used too LOL whewsmile

im comfortable at around 110 i did push 118 today and i felt fine, I was sweating but I always do, I could still talk and wasn't really breathless, plus i feel great afterwards.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how i get on :D

Cheers
Paul
Regards
Paul

Asprin 75mg, Atorvastatin 10mg, Bisoprolol Fumrate 5.0mg, Clopidogel 75mg, Furosemide 20mg. Lansoprazole 30mg, Levothyroxine 25mg, Ramipril 12.5mg

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » June 16th, 2011, 5:08 pm

I also work out 6 days a week. Our ICD settings are not all the same as we are not all the same. I understand that we can go "over" our limits for short periods of exercise times without issues. Our ICD's may start preparing for a therapy but will hold off. I do agree the facilities should be aware of our implants. Our local paramedics also workout at the same facility and they know about me. wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

pbeesley

Post by pbeesley » June 23rd, 2011, 7:05 am

Cheers Bob,
Im building up a bit of confidence with it now and im also swimming for 30-45 minutes per session, I was initially worried about my heart rate but im convinced the constant worrying is making it worse.

In the pool I have no heart rate monitor and just stop when ive had enough, it seems to work out ok for me. its usually my arms and legs give way before the rest of me.

Thanks again
Paul :runn:
Regards
Paul

Juicydb

Post by Juicydb » June 23rd, 2011, 3:29 pm

Hi Paul, I haven't yet had the nerve to go off the monitor - mine works in the pool - but I'm trying to pay it less attention. That said, I was glad to have it on the other day when my heart rate suddenly zoomed to 153 while on the elliptical. Watching the rate rise steadily - though rapidly - I knew it was not an arrhythmia and was much calmer than had I not been wearing the monitor. I'm not sure I'll ever have the confidence to workout without it now! Be well, Julia

pbeesley

Post by pbeesley » June 25th, 2011, 1:40 pm

Cheers Julia,
I think mine would work in the water just haven't tried it yet, i suppose i don't want people looking at the odd guy with a strap on :lol: , the pool i use also has hot tubs and steam rooms so can attract a few people and quite often if the pool is busy i choose to sit in the hot tub for a short time, i'd feel a bit silly with a HRM on.

I did manage to find a watch which allows you to touch 2 contacts and gives a reliable reading but i'm going to see how i get on before committing to yet another gadget relating to my health.

At the moment i'm up to about 45-60 minutes in the pool without issue. my HR is getting upto about 95-100 (im manually checking this), my heart is recovering well and within 10 minutes im back down to 70ish.

I'm still not the fastest swimmer more like the slowest but im building up, its been a while since i swam for anything other than recreation.

I know exactly what you mean about watching your HR on the machines, its annoying isn't it, the place I go has TVs on most machines but i switch it off and only focus on the HR. I had a contact problem a few days ago and had a similar issue to you rapid HR and then a sudden loss, after fiddling with the contacts i think id died twice messing with it rofl

I'm building up confidence and im determined this heart condition wont get the better of me, im loosing weight, my cardio fitness is ten times better than it was before the MI and im feeling better about myself - which is a good thing, i had a few down moments a few months ago and im hoping that's behind me now.

We should monitor how we are all doing, give us a bit of motivation :D

Cheers
Paul
Regards
Paul

Juicydb

Post by Juicydb » June 25th, 2011, 5:22 pm

Gladly, the strap isn't an issue for me because I wear a swimsuit that covers it. I just look like I'm wearing my watch into the pool. Can't take hotubs or saunas - I'm a redhead and would look like a lobster for hours afterwards. Sounds like you are doing well. I'm slowly building up my endurance and I know it will improve. My husband and I are hoping to participate in an annual 5 k run for charity in our hometown -he may try next year, but I'm not even running yet so it may be two years away for me. And if I can't make the 5k, I'll do the 'fun run' with the little kids! Glad to hear about your progress, Julia

Nolan

Post by Nolan » March 19th, 2012, 2:50 am

Exercises are quite essential for the best health so do daily exercise and workout in the exercises in my opinion swimming is one of the best it really help us to shape our body well......