Amiodarone Weaning Begins

A Forum for those with or for those who know people with ICD's and are interested in their ongoing desire and work towards optimum weight.
Juicydb

Amiodarone Weaning Begins

Post by Juicydb » June 7th, 2011, 10:54 am

I'm happy to report that my EP has decided it is time, after a year with no V-Tach, to begin the long process of weaning me off Amiodarone (cutting the dose in half every three months.) Of course, now that I'm going to be getting off this stuff, I'm dreading the loss of it's protective power! I didn't expect to be nervous but I suppose any change is cause for some concern. I know that it can take many months - 18 or more - to clear the body of this drug. I know to continue to watch for side effects. Anything else I should be aware of? Thanks, Julia

lweismille

Re: Amiodarone Weaning Begins

Post by lweismille » June 7th, 2011, 11:43 am

My Doctor tried that in mid 2009. everything seemed to go well until May of 2010 when I had a major episode of V-Tach. He immediatelly put me back on 200 mg per day and I have been okay since. Just be careful, my experience was not good, but everybody is different. I seem to be tolerating that dosage okay. I hope it works for you.
St Jude ICD implanted May 4, 2009
First shock May 28, 2009
Major VT May 29, 2009