how are you doing with the holidays

A Forum for those with or for those who know people with ICD's and are interested in their ongoing desire and work towards optimum weight.
ml1851

how are you doing with the holidays

Post by ml1851 » December 20th, 2010, 3:33 pm

well i've been trying just not to gain weight from thanksgiving till christmas so far I'm doing ok. Was in the hospital once, ate more there then at home. So now I have to make it through christmas week. I diet real hard at home then just be careful when out at a party.Dave

SkaterGirlBrooke

Re: how are you doing with the holidays

Post by SkaterGirlBrooke » December 20th, 2010, 4:03 pm

I recently moved and I gained about 10 pounds somehow during it...I have been in my new place about 3 weeks now and so far I have really been vigilant about what I'm eating. I have lost about 15 so far. I would like to get about 5 more lost and I'll be happy. I really just lay around too much...my muscles are kinda smushy now :( As far as the holidays I was invited to a home that's going to have a lot of food. I'm not sure how much I'll want to eat after shrinking my stomach over the last 3 weeks...but I do plan to be careful, and avoid potatoes, gravy, extra portions. One thing that helps me is remembering the rule:
Your brain needs about 15 minutes to get the message that you aren't still hungry after the first portion. So if you think you want seconds, wait the 15 and see if you still want more! It usually works for me, and I don't have to feel sick after eating too much. Good luck!

dancehearts
Brooke
About Me:
LQTS,PSVT, VT
SCA X 3 June 2011, X2 Sept, Oct '11 SCA X2 Nov/Dec '11
VT, VF June 2011, Oct '11, Nov '11, Dec '11
Cardiogenic Syncope-6 times Nov '10
Class IA Indications for ICD...waiting on red tape
Metoprolol 350 mg/day
Procan SR (Procainamide...scary stuff)

ml1851

Post by ml1851 » December 22nd, 2010, 4:43 pm

I went to my pcp today last week I brought candy and cookies, so when he walked in i said to him looks like your putting on a few lbs dr z. He responded lets see if you have, but I didn't. He told me all the girls in the office grabbed all the cookies he got one.

MichaelP

Post by MichaelP » December 22nd, 2010, 11:22 pm

Don't hate me, please - but I weighed the same this morning as I did when I got my ICD two months ago. So, I am doing quite well in my quest to keep from gaining weight during the holidays :)

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » December 23rd, 2010, 1:32 am

I've also resisted the urge to eat too many goodies, second portions, etc. It hasn't been easy, but my weight's staying at 237 +/- 2 pounds since I got home from the hospital. At my weight, that fluctuation is mostly water and well within the old 2% measurement error.
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

ml1851

Post by ml1851 » December 23rd, 2010, 6:48 am

I don't know if alot of dr's realize that alot of us aren't as active because of our health problems I would say zero weight gain this time of the year is a plus. I don't go out as much as I did when I was younger but I try every day my dr's realize this and do know I try. My aunt had weight problems all her life one time she went to her dr and had gained a few lbs. her doctor asked her for a copy of her diet so he could give it to the farmers so he could fatten up his pigs. I would have punched him if he ever told me that.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 23rd, 2010, 8:19 pm

I do feel great BUT: as many of you know I must weigh in every morning and night. My wonderful machine, after greeting me by name, asks me 3 questions every morning, did I need more than one pillow to sleep, are my feet more swollen and ? and at night if I took all my meds, did I exercise and do I feel worse than normal. This morning it just said " good morning porky, oink, oink, oink. Do you think I may have gained a little too much? :lol:
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

ml1851

Post by ml1851 » December 27th, 2010, 4:50 am

well I did bad over christmas I didn't eat alot, got up had 5 cookies my bp fell to 80/40. then christmas I took half dose of water pills because I was out from christmas eve to sun I gained 10 lbs, My dr will kill me if he finds out am loseing it know.I'm going have to watch it till news year.Dave

donldnn

Post by donldnn » November 10th, 2012, 1:41 am

Well i am sitting at home, with a book or maybe a video game. Who
knows? Because i don't celebrate i do not make any plans either. I'll
probably be drinking black coffee eating whatever, i come up with and
that's about it. Exciting..