Ideas for diet

A Forum for those with or for those who know people with ICD's and are interested in their ongoing desire and work towards optimum weight.
itchy1851

Ideas for diet

Post by itchy1851 » September 11th, 2009, 2:25 pm

I'm 58 I have to lose weight to have an alvd put in I have lost 29lbs sence the end of april. I barly eat, I had to lose between 20 and 30 lbs to get an alvd which I did I have to loose another 20 lbs to get on the heart transplant list, I eat almost all fruits and veg. I can only walk because my ef is 15% anyone have any ideas how to loose weight. Dave

freckles1880

Re: Ideas for diet

Post by freckles1880 » September 11th, 2009, 2:52 pm

I would talk to your heart doctors and get an appointment with the nutritionist or dietitian/ councilor. I lost most of what I needed to for health reasons but my condition and yours are very different. I would hate to give you advise that would hurt more than help. I had to push my nutritionist to get me things I liked yet were healthy. They have great ideas but not always what we want to hear. If you need the transplant they best get you healthy enough to get you there.

Good luck and I will pray that you get what you need.
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

Elizabeth Martineau

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » September 11th, 2009, 3:33 pm

Have to agree with Bob. However, "all fruits and vegetables" doesn't sound good. Adding a little protein might help to rev the metabolism and also stave off hunger. You need protein of some sort. Check with your nutritionist if you have one for some ideas. Mark on here has lost lots of weight and his diet looks pretty healthy. He will probably have some ideas for you, too.
Good luck with it, it's not easy. I did lose right at 100 pounds a couple of years ago, 1200 calories and a walking program did it for me.

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » September 15th, 2009, 10:17 am

Clearly if you're on the transplant list your diet is critical and you should follow Bob's advice ~ consult with your Cardiologist. Not that I'm an expert, or that my opinion is worth a lot, but I don't believe limiting a diet to any food group is the right approach. Moderation is key for me, though admittedly I lost 50 pounds on the hospital diet ~ really bad cooking.

Good luck on your goal, you can achieve anything you want
Edwinn
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

ICDkid

Post by ICDkid » September 17th, 2009, 11:55 pm

That is true with getting a nutritionist who is familiar with cardiac cases on board and working with your doctor. Look at the food pyramid, it is on-line as well. It shows how much you should eat from each group a day. I would limit your intake of these due to your low activity. In your case, I would demand a nutritionist. Yes, you do need some protiens in your diet. Which type, I am not sure. Please seek help from a nutritionist who specializes in cardiac cases. I am sure your doctor can refer one to you. Please be proactive in your care. You are your biggest advocate. I wish you well with your situation. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
God's Blessings,
Sharon
Sharon
Garrett's mom
Orange County, CA

"God only gives us what we can handle, I just wish he didn't trust me so much!"
~Mother Theresa

Nolan

Post by Nolan » March 19th, 2012, 2:53 am

Crash diets really dont work. The so known as new-age diets do not add to health and fitness provides. There is no easy way to reduce body weight so the best way is to do it over a while period.....