Lose the weight, don't diet.

A Forum for those with or for those who know people with ICD's and are interested in their ongoing desire and work towards optimum weight.
Mark

Lose the weight, don't diet.

Post by Mark » August 13th, 2009, 5:03 pm

Yep, that's right...DON'T DIET. Face it and I have learned over the years diets don't work. In fact most people that "diet" end up being heavier once the diet wears off. You really want to lost the weight? I mean seriously? Then there is one thing that will work for anyone......

Change your lifestyle including the way you eat. It's not only about what you are eating but HOW you are eating. We spend too much time trying to figure out points and count numbers in some plan, or deal- meal the cards to know when they are gone, you are done. Gimmicks? Yes, but they have a good idea. CHANGE the way you eat, and what you eat.

It not only matters the amount of what you eat, but exactly what you eat. If you shove buttered popcorn down your throat at the movies, along with only a handful of M&M's, and then the next morning wake up to have only one slice of bacon and buttered toast with your eggs, you aren't going to lose weight. Believe me, this is not stuff I am saying to be a wise-ass: these are the very justifications that brought me to my heaviest I have ever been in my life.

Again- YOU HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE, and that includes ridding yourself of the bad things that will roadblock you in losing weight. Personally I trashed the house- rid the cupboards of all the fattening things except the stuff that Kath uses for lunches and her herbal tea (graham crackers). Only olive oil, none other then that. No butter or margarine- Olivio made with olive oil and Olivio spray only. No frying- only grill and bake, and if something is made in a pan on the stove- cooking spray only. No processed anything in our house because it juts isn't good or healthy. Strict, yep. But who made us fat? Those chips and dip? McDonalds? Order out Pizza? nope not at all: we did it to ourselves.

With all that said, it is just the beginning of changing your lifestyle. What, no lasagna at Christmas?? Of course you can- limit the portion size and remember- BACK ON TRACK with the very next meal. If you really have the urge to lose weight, to make your body healthy and to live your life felling great, then you can do it. It isn't a diet, it is a change of life. I think a once a month meal of your choice, yet portion controlled ( in other words, not a whole turkey!) is doable in a healthy lifestyle change.

Sorry, didn't mean to soun like an infomercial- but hey, I have lost over 80 pounds- some weeks tough, others easy but it is worth it in the end and I feel a lot better then I did. the choice is yours... I can offer some ideas, but basically it is a lifestyle change. Eating healthy is something we all should be doing but sometimes, or for some, never do. As I said the choice is yours.

Denny B

Re: Lose the weight, don't diet.

Post by Denny B » August 14th, 2009, 2:25 pm

Mark-
Great advice. I just need to lock the ice cream in the freezer and eat an apple instead. The weight loss would move faster if I also moved faster!
Dennis

Mark

Post by Mark » August 14th, 2009, 8:19 pm

Dennis- baby steps, baby steps..start out small and build up- worked for me!

oleblueize

Post by oleblueize » February 22nd, 2010, 8:32 pm

Mark
Thank you for the inspiration. I have been doing exercises with the Wii Fit Plus.This is more than I have done in about a yr. But after my appt with the cardiologist today I need to really start working on losing the lbs. I gained 3 lbs in the last 3 months.... He said no carbs and portion control. How did you start out? I am afraid that if I cut down drastically I would just spiral me into binge eating. I don't have a lot of self control.....

I have tired Wt Watchers and lost a few lbs but but that and more back on.

HELP

Cathy
ICD CRT-D 2/2/09

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » February 23rd, 2010, 9:28 am

Amen Mark. It was very hard for me to make some of the changes necessary for me to survive. (My warden says that I'm stubborn, I say I liked to eat) Better eating habits and exercise were my answer. wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » February 23rd, 2010, 1:04 pm

I totally agree Mark.
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » March 2nd, 2010, 5:59 pm

From the one positive experience I've had, I'd say the key is to start by improving the quality of your food:

Protein - go for small, tasty portions of leaner meats, especially fish, pork, and chicken, with a variety of spices, styles of preparation, focusing on making it taste good.

Carbs - go for fresh fruits and vegetables that have as little processing as possible, high in fiber and nutrients, bright in colors, low in chemicals.

Fats - use just enough olive or other high-quality oils to make the meals taste good.

Water - drink as much with your meals as you like, between meals as well - it's almost impossible to drink too much water! Add a few drops of lemon or lime juice to keep it interesting.

Avoid - white flour, processed foods that have to have nutrients "restored" chemically, high-fructose corn syrup, carbonated drinks.

Do you have to do it all perfectly 100% of the time? No, but the closer you stick to it the better you'll feel. Keep the exceptions (birthday cake, celebratory snacks, etc.) the exception!
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

Nolan

Post by Nolan » March 19th, 2012, 2:54 am

Position unwanted fat is risky. Decrease the unwanted body weight. Over body weight individuals cut 20 many many many months of their way of way of way of lifestyle for every unwanted kg, according to new analysis...

Mary Kay

Post by Mary Kay » July 10th, 2013, 10:24 pm

www.SouthBeachDiet.com It is all about changing your eating habits forever. You can do it on your own or sign up for all their on line aids like creating your own daily or weekly menu. It is like Ron said, no white flour. True whole wheat grains (even pasta) and no white rice, lots of veggies, some legumes, (beans) some fruit, lean protein and olive oil or canola oil. For some the hardest part is cutting out sugar. Sugar is a really big no, no on this diet except for maybe once a month. That includes store bought fruit juice. I had an on line chat with a nutritionist tonight and found out a couple of things I was doing wrong that I intend to correct. I know that I also need to move more. It was created by a cardiologist and my EP told me to go on it. I want to loose 10 more lbs before school starts Aug 20th. See, I've told you so now I have to do it.
CHF, Cardiomyopathy and LBBB
EF 20%
St. Jude Bi Vent ICD CRT implanted September 9, 2011
7 shock storm inappropriate due to dislodged lead
damaged lead removed and replaced Sept 26, 2011
EF improved to 50% in December 2012
Carvedilol 12.5 mg 2x
Ramipril 5 mg 2x