weight gain after icd

A Forum for those with or for those who know people with ICD's and are interested in their ongoing desire and work towards optimum weight.
rbig

weight gain after icd

Post by rbig » March 11th, 2009, 5:28 pm

I'm an older doofus. Had a massive stroke and came our with my very own personal ICD.

Before the stroke, I did a fair quantity of work at volunteer jobs. I took care of yards at my church, and my own house, and some volunteer groups. I was able to be on top of it.

I threw off stroke effects at the end of my hospital stay.

Bad scene: my age is 68. Coming out of the stroke, I started gaining weight. I'm about 75 lbs fatter than I should be. I normally weigh in around 250, and have been close to that for years.

In years past, I could shed weight like crazy, through dieting.

Now, my dieting isn't working, for whatever reason.

My question is whether others have weight gains after getting their ICD? Now, I want to get back into exercise as a way to help shed pounds---another story. Just curious about weight gain after the ICD......

Basically, I think it because of my inactivity for a year. I'm through with the inactivity part, now.

markokc4863

Post by markokc4863 » March 17th, 2009, 4:21 pm

I definitely had weight gain after my ICD just from lack of doing anything. I was afraid to move at all for awhile, and def afraid of exercising. Now I at least walk on my treadmill each day and that helps. Have to find some way to exercise.
Mark

Medtronic Virtuoso DR
Sudden Cardiac Death - 5/7/2008 (my wedding anniversary)
ICD Implant - 5/9/2008
First Shock - 6/9/2008

Toaster2011

Re: weight gain after icd

Post by Toaster2011 » January 14th, 2010, 7:16 pm

I also gained some weight after my ICD implant. I have a friend who is a trainer who assured me much of that gain was due to the bloating from antibiotics, and part to a bit of laziness. I have just began my road to weight loss, and have had much luck with the treadmill, and swimming ( although now I need a swimming partner, just in case). I am eating better, and drinking a ton more water. I am also involved in a weight loss contest at my work which is a great motivator. Anyhow, it is a daily battle that has many different paths to success. Just beleive in yourself because that is the foundation of all success!
Diana

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » January 14th, 2010, 8:17 pm

I say the first thing is to try to get into a Rehab program though your MD or EP's request. The experts will look at you and your condition and make suggestions. They may also suggest a dietitian. I am your age (almost) and was the weight you averaged and am much lighter now and follow my rehab nurses suggestions at my local rec center. I eat better and now exercise 6 days a week. NOT a lot but regular exercises.
Number one is by going through the doctor most insurance companies will go along with the program.

Good Luck :balloons:
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

smc0827

Post by smc0827 » January 17th, 2010, 7:40 pm

I also gained weight after ICD & thyroid issues. Gained more after being on a beta blocker. Has been slowly coming off with moderate exercise & dieting, but I also think that not being on a beta blocker any longer has helped me (switched to something else). Perhaps because I don't feel so tired all the time and it doesn't feel so hard to exercise. Best of luck - I'm still in the process too. :)
Sue B / MN ~ Family history of various cardiac arrhythmias & SCA. Gene mutation of SCN5A gene.
ICD #1 - Metronic Secura, June 2005 with follow-up ablation in July 2005 for AVNRT. Shock storm April 2008.
ICD #2-Medtronic Virtuoso DR w/lead revision (Sprint lead), June 2009.
ICD #3 Medtronic Protecta DR w/lead revision, June 18, 2012. ICD & lead explant due to allergic reaction & infection on July 10, 2012. Opting not to re-implant at this time.
"Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Hate less, love more; And all good things are yours." ~ Swedish Proverb

LilWil

Post by LilWil » September 2nd, 2010, 11:56 pm

I was wondering about that myself. prior to 'the incident' - i thought i was pretty acitve - the only thing was that i was overwight. my weekend routine for about a month prior was a yoga class, followed by some gold swings (just started), maybe a few games of bowling, then maybe the cross trainer and some wights at the gym, followed by strolling thorugh my favorite store for last minute shopping - Wal-mart. lmao4dx

So, any suggestions on losing will be greatly appreciated. (I do walk w/ some slow jog on the treadmill 3-4 times per week , w/ an incline now).

tks in advance! Lo offwall

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » September 3rd, 2010, 6:16 am

LilWil wrote:I was wondering about that myself. prior to 'the incident' - i thought i was pretty acitve - the only thing was that i was overwight. my weekend routine for about a month prior was a yoga class, followed by some gold swings (just started), maybe a few games of bowling, then maybe the cross trainer and some wights at the gym, followed by strolling thorugh my favorite store for last minute shopping - Wal-mart. lmao4dx

So, any suggestions on losing will be greatly appreciated. (I do walk w/ some slow jog on the treadmill 3-4 times per week , w/ an incline now).

tks in advance! Lo offwall
As I said in a post above. Please talk to your Cardiologist and get into a rehab program. They can include talking to a nutritionist. These folks can put you on the right track. My old "normal" weight was 40 plus pounds more than my current weight, one of the reasons for my heart attack. My BMI is now almost in line. wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

Elizabeth Martineau

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » September 3rd, 2010, 7:47 am

Yes, weight gain is common for us. It can be a combination of drugs (for instance,
Coreg can cause weight gain), the fluid retention, the lack of exercise. Give yourself time to lose it, baby steps. Forgive yourself when you are not perfect.

Also I would engage my doctor, tell him you're trying and see what suggestions he has. And watch the sneaky salt, too. It's in so many things you would not suspect. Do things like rinsing your canned vegetables or eating frozen ones.
Another factor I had to deal with at first, for me depression equals eating.

So with all these factors, it's a tough road, but you can do it!
I am now down to my right weight, went from 228 to 148, but it took a couple years and a lot of walking.

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » September 3rd, 2010, 3:02 pm

Elizabeth, thanks for mentioning my personal trio of factors: medicines, salt, and depression. Any one of those would frustrate a weight loss program; I'm still trying to overcome the combination. I count myself lucky to be able to hold my weight where it is since I got out of the hospital, at 238 pounds plus or minus 3 pounds varying with fluid intake, meal size, reactions to salt and sugar, etc.

I was exercising almost frantically for 4 months before my cardiac arrest with no real weight change, so I'm content to hold my own now with very little exercise.

And looking back at the previous posts, I'm amused at someone learning a "gold swing" and someone else being visited by ghosts ("wights") at a gym. Ah, the joys of typos!
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

Elizabeth Martineau

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » September 4th, 2010, 9:22 am

Ron, you are funny. And thanks for teaching me a new word, I had to look up wight. And I fancied myself a wordsmith (:

When I was court reporting I learned that they named all the Rolls Royces after spirits of some kind. I wonder if there is a Rolls Royce Wight?

I was working on a divorce case in West Palm Beach. A guy who was loaded, as most of them are there, had bought a dozen, yes, a dozen, Rolls Royces for Christmas gifts. For the one he bought his girlfriend, the car was white and he placed a single red rose on the hood for her. How romantic. The guy was a total jerk, though.

Mar

Post by Mar » September 9th, 2010, 10:28 am

I lost right around 100lbs (mostly fluid) after a bout with CHF prior to my surgery.
I continued to loose after my surgery. I have gained 50 lbs back since my ICD implant. I blame it on feeling better and the fact that I did quit smoking cold turkey prior to my surgery. I didn't miss smoking at all until a couple of months after quitting, I started getting little cravings, so instead of a cigarette I get a snack.
I am proud of the fact that I have been smoke free for 9 months and I know I will not start again!! I have a appt. with my cardio at the end of this month, I am wondering how he will feel about my weight gain nononono I know it isn't fluid retention this time. :oops:
Mary Ann (Mar)
Biotronic Lumax 540 DR-T implant May 2010
Open heart surgery Jan 2010
ICD implanted May 2010
1 shock in 2011
3 in 2013
current EF 10 to 15%
A Fib
Medications: I lost track

JoeNH

Post by JoeNH » September 9th, 2010, 12:27 pm

As others have mentioned, the math is a little more complicated when you add in a variety of different medications, issues like water retention and the pitfalls of a sedentary lifestyle. And I hate to over-simplify matters, but at the end of the day, weight is really a matter of "calories in" vs. "calories out."

From experience, I know that I have to be very careful when I back off on the exercise. Winter happens to be the busy season in my business and I exercise considerably less in winter when compared to the other three seasons. Every winter I have to remind myself, "Hey Joe, you can't keep eating like that when you're NOT doing five 1,000 calorie work outs per week !"

That's right. To compensate .... just to stay even .... for not doing five 1,000 calorie work outs per week .... I need to eat 5,000 calories less per week.

Calories in vs. Calories out !

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » September 9th, 2010, 3:20 pm

The only thing I can add to this is to be certain that the calories you take in are as nutritious as you can stand, with the best possible variety of tastes and colors. If your food is boring, well, what's the point?

Personally, I've always felt "rabbit food" was for bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan

Then again, I do remember watching a buck scampering through the weeks after a doe... maybe there is something to eating like a
bunnydan ?
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

JoeNH

Post by JoeNH » September 9th, 2010, 4:09 pm

You got that right Ron ! I don't honestly care how much Popeye loves spinach, I personally can't stand the stuff !

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » September 9th, 2010, 7:09 pm

Almost everything I eat I want to eat. I was in the upper end of "overweight" at the time of my heart attack (for those who don't remember my "last meal" prior to surgery was 2 cheeseburgers). I am now almost at normal for my 6"4" heavy bone structure with big feet. (size 15 USA) I now control more by quantity than by anything else. I need protein, vegetables, fruits and milk. I drink about 2 glasses a day of 2% milk rather than 4 glasses of full strength milk. I don't eat store prepared pastas, pizza, ravioli, hot pockets, etc. I really watch my salt. I also do simple exercises 6 days a week. As said above keep it nutritional. OH I still won't even think cheeseburger.

wavhi
Bob