weight gain from not exercising

A Forum for those with or for those who know people with ICD's and are interested in their ongoing desire and work towards optimum weight.
Karentko

weight gain from not exercising

Post by Karentko » January 21st, 2009, 6:16 pm

Hey Everyone,
My husband has probaly put on about 20 lbs since his SCA.I think his weight gain is more from quitting smoking and not exercising then eating to much..What can he do if he is scared to exercise because he is scared his heart rate will go up and he will get shocked.
We have talked about walking but his legs get tired.He never went to physical therapy,but he did try and continue to work at our lawn care business until he kept getting shocked.So of course that scared him off of any kind of physical activity...any ideas?

Karen
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart....Helen Keller

Mark

Re: weight gain from not exercising

Post by Mark » January 22nd, 2009, 5:24 pm

Karentko wrote:Hey Everyone,
My husband has probaly put on about 20 lbs since his SCA.I think his weight gain is more from quitting smoking and not exercising then eating to much..What can he do if he is scared to exercise because he is scared his heart rate will go up and he will get shocked.
We have talked about walking but his legs get tired.He never went to physical therapy,but he did try and continue to work at our lawn care business until he kept getting shocked.So of course that scared him off of any kind of physical activity...any ideas?
Karen, I have to say "I SO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU HUSBAND IS GOING THROUGH!!!!" You tell him that he isn't the only one suffering like this. Jesus, one would think they would try and at least gear us up for this crap we have to deal with after shocks, but no, they don't. Remind him that a steady rise in his heart rate will not facilitate a shock: suspicious raise in heart rate is what the ICD is looking for. I don't have the magic answer though... I wish I did bu I do know that talking about it helps- and obsessing on it is almost impossible NOT to do. It is a tough situation we are all in, but I know myself I am getting better at it .......a bit at a time.

Paula

Post by Paula » January 22nd, 2009, 7:25 pm

People who stop smoking can expect to gain about 10 lbs. simply from the change in their metabloism. The constant dose of nicotine keeps our systems in high rev and increases metabloism some. The benefits of stopping smoking far outweigh (no pun intended) the harm of gaining some extra weight.

If your husband is unwilling or unable to increase his activity (calories burned) and he doesn't want to gain weight, then he must decrease the calories he consumes. 1 pound = 3,500 calories. If he can figure out how many calories he used to burn through exercise, he should decrease is caloric intake by that amount if he isn't doing the exercise anymore.

Paula
Sudden Cardiac Death 07-29-07 at 42 years of age. Cause of SCD unknown, no heart defects found. Medtronic Virtuoso ICD implanted 08-01-2007.

Karentko

Post by Karentko » January 23rd, 2009, 6:03 pm

Thanks Mark and Paula.....Can the beta blockers also make you put weight on.My husband thinks this is funny,but last week on the home page of Msn they had an article about healthy foods.Well I been pushing him to eat bran muffins in the morning.Well it seems they have more calories then a ham,egg and cheese sandwich on a english muffin...so guess what he wants for breakfast tomorrow..lol....Also a fish sandwich with cheese and tartar sauce has more calories then a plain grilled chicken.So I think like you said Paula I will have to watch his calories more.I think its more he is unable .I think he would love to be more active...he is just scared to be...Im very proud of both of us for quitting smoking we both would never start smoking again. :)

Karen
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart....Helen Keller

Smart Red

Post by Smart Red » February 14th, 2009, 10:07 pm

While it is true that 3500 calories = 1 pound, not all calories are created equal. Those bran muffins may be doing more good for his body than an equal number of calories of sweet roll. For example; an apple or a drink of apple juice may have the same number of calories, but the body does more work to digest the apple. Work = calories burned.

"Exercise" need not be weights and running. Walking is one of the best and easiest ways to start. How far would your husband consider walking? Try that distance for a few days. If there's no problem try one house further for another few days, and further, and further as he feels comfortable. You may both be surprised how a little walk can improve strength, stamina, and a sense of good feeling over time. No hurry, no pushing. Any movement is better than none.

Red

db

putting my 2 cents in :)

Post by db » February 28th, 2009, 12:12 pm

Smart Red wrote:While it is true that 3500 calories = 1 pound, not all calories are created equal. Those bran muffins may be doing more good for his body than an equal number of calories of sweet roll. For example; an apple or a drink of apple juice may have the same number of calories, but the body does more work to digest the apple. Work = calories burned.
*** "Exercise" need not be weights and running. Walking is one of the best and easiest ways to start. How far would your husband consider walking? Try that distance for a few days. If there's no problem try one house further for another few days, and further, and further as he feels comfortable. You may both be surprised how a little walk can improve strength, stamina, and a sense of good feeling over time. No hurry, no pushing. Any movement is better than none. **

I

Red
:shock:

hi , An apple has more fiber, (that makes you feel full) They say to replace 2 glasses of apple juice with 2 apples. (Juice(a lot of them has added sugar which slowly turns to fat..) (points to my belly) I miss sweet rolls. ..mm sweet rolls. Those bear claws mmm.. I haven' t had one in years.
I make my own oatmeal muffins, I replaced the oil with apple sauce.

I totally agree with you about the walking- walking is the best! (have you tried walking around the Mall? ) afterwords you can treat yourself to a nonfat cappuccino with a sprinkle of cocoa on top. (after you drank a glass of refreshing water .. try drinking 6 glasses a day..)

db

Post by db » February 28th, 2009, 12:29 pm

Karentko wrote:Thanks Mark and Paula.....Can the beta blockers also make you put weight on.My husband thinks this is funny,but last week on the home page of Msn they had an article about healthy foods.Well I been pushing him to eat bran muffins in the morning.Well it seems they have more calories then a ham,egg and cheese sandwich on a english muffin...so guess what he wants for breakfast tomorrow..lol....Also a fish sandwich with cheese and tartar sauce has more calories then a plain grilled chicken.So I think like you said Paula I will have to watch his calories more.I think its more he is unable .I think he would love to be more active...he is just scared to be...Im very proud of both of us for quitting smoking we both would never start smoking again. :)

Karen
Congratulations on quitting .. :D Beta blockers don't make you gain weight, their side effects can be depression,or mine do .. :/ (i just read the side effects after taking them for 20 some odd years. ) I was a small kid.. I gained weight later.. (freshman ten.. sort of thing) (so i walk more to raise my serotonin ). All though if you are depressed we have a tendency to eat an that can cause you to gain weight mm..
Anyone relate to that?

I was wondering if the calories on the fish sandwich without the tartar sauce and cheese would be compared to the chicken? and is the fish sandwich fried.. (2) A lot of times a serving of a bran muffin is actually half of a bran muffin,which is annoying, cause i would want the whole muffin.. but muffins are fattening.. Unless you make them yourself.. and you watch how much oil/butter you put into it..
sorry to ramble. :)
Good luck

rbig

Post by rbig » March 11th, 2009, 5:09 pm

I do a lot of lawncare work. I'm not near as quick as I used to be, but I still get by doing it. Haven't had shock, so far.

When I say lawncare, it's not a professional thing. And, I can take it easy when I need to. I take care of tractors at our church, and several volunteer groups, as well as my own. Mow when I have the time,

There was a time, nearly a year ago, when I didn't think I'd get the strength back to do this now. The wellness center helped me a lot in that regard. I sure don't have near the wind I used to have.

Tenny

Post by Tenny » July 3rd, 2013, 10:55 pm

There are many exercises that are very useful for losing weight but some people are very conscious about their weight. Some people want to gain their weight. Walking is one of the best and easiest ways to start.

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » July 3rd, 2013, 11:43 pm

Your local hospital or clinic should have an exercise therapy program with experts in cardio-therapy. Make some calls to your doctor or his clinic for referrals... contact them and find out what they have to offer and whether all or part of any costs are covered by your medical insurance... even if they're not, at least he can go there once for a consultation to learn which exercises are safe, whether he should be wearing a watch like mine which monitors the heart rate, etc.
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

Mary Kay

Post by Mary Kay » July 5th, 2013, 12:32 am

Go on line and check out the South Beach Diet started by a cardiologist. It is all about good fiber vs bad, good oil vs bad and metabolism etc. For example if I have fruit for a snack it is suggested that I have a cheese stick with it. Somehow the mix slows how fast the sugar gets into the system which effects weight gain. Even if you don't go on the diet, the information for eating smarter is very worthwhile. Sorry to hear your husband is feeling discouraged.
CHF, Cardiomyopathy and LBBB
EF 20%
St. Jude Bi Vent ICD CRT implanted September 9, 2011
7 shock storm inappropriate due to dislodged lead
damaged lead removed and replaced Sept 26, 2011
EF improved to 50% in December 2012
Carvedilol 12.5 mg 2x
Ramipril 5 mg 2x

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » July 6th, 2013, 5:34 pm

my normal weight was for all my life 100-110lbs.....within a month or two of taking beta blockers id gained 25lbs without changing my diet.....or giving up smokes......the consensus was it wasnt the medication..it was me...WRONG.......my daughter also gained a lot of weight shortly after starting on beta blockers...and so did my neighbor next door...in total i gained more than 40lbs on the heart meds....and since i stopped taking them last month....guess what..without dieting...im dropping at the rate of 1 to 2 lbs a week...i wish these bloomin drs would be at least honest and say they dont know..it depends on the person...rather than blanket covering and saying nope ..you gotta watch your diet......were already sick if were on the meds, putting on the weight is making us probably feel worse, but for the dr to actually blame us on the weight gain...ahem....depression?.....no that in my mind is pushing it..oh it makes me so frickin mad..

now does everyone gain weight on them...nope....my girlfriend hasnt gained a lb lol.

:bananas: :bananas: :bananas:
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!