What's for Breakfast???

A Forum for those with or for those who know people with ICD's and are interested in their ongoing desire and work towards optimum weight.
ScamperAndDreamy

What's for Breakfast???

Post by ScamperAndDreamy » January 7th, 2009, 9:12 am

According to my dietary instructions that I received (yes over a year ago) from the cardiologist's office, for breakfast, I should have 2-3 starches and 2 protein servings. Starches are easy. There are a lot to choose from with low sodium. I get stuck on the protein. I am strict about the limited sodium (400-500 mg / meal), so breakfast meats seem out of the question. I usually have 2 eggs (fried in a dry pan with Pam - sounds tasty now :lol: just kidding on that one). I also tend to carry my breakfast to the office and reheat it once I get there and eat it while I am reading emails.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cindy (from GA with horses)

tomrostron

Post by tomrostron » January 7th, 2009, 12:33 pm

i have porridge with honey 5 days a week. and egg and bacon, sat and sun. joe

Mark

Post by Mark » January 7th, 2009, 2:49 pm

Cindy,

I use egg beaters for protein- low calories, no cholesterol and lot's of protein. I used to hate the taste of them but have sworn off regular eggs for years.... now they taste normal to me and regular eggs don't. Also try some low sodium turkey bacon...different brand have different taste...find one that is good for you. -Hope this helps.

This might help too: I make this- turkey breakfast sausage--

TURKEY BREAKFAST SAUSAGE
Ingredients

* 1 lb ground turkey (I usually do three pounds and triple everything so I can freeze a ton of patties!)
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons sage
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
* 1/8 teaspoon allspice
* 1 teaspoon fennel seed
* 1 teaspoon thyme
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne

1. Mix all ingredients (use less pepper if you don't want a spicy taste) and blend well.

2. Refrigerate overnight to let the meat absorb the flavor of the spices. (Best if you can do this)

3. Form into patties and cook as needed, freezing leftovers as patties.

4. Try not to overcook or they will dry out: remove from the heat as soon as they're no longer pink inside, but can still push out juice.

DonnaB

Post by DonnaB » January 7th, 2009, 2:54 pm

Low sodium turkey bacon is good in my opinion and there is also turkey sausage links and patties.I buy them at Krogers where I live.I watch my sodium too because I have CHF and I watch fat grams because I have stents and had a triple bypass.

I had steel cut oatmeal this morning made with vanilla soymilk.I added a few walnuts,sliced peaches,and 1/2 of a banana to it along with a glass of of pomegranate juice.It was tasty and filling.

Sometimes I will make pancakes from scratch and sometimes with a mix and I make it with milk.I add fruit to the mix like blueberries or bananas or fresh strawberries when in season or I top the pancakes with the fruit rather than to use syrup.

Some of these ideas can be done at home and taken to work if needed but some wouldn't be practical.

I too cook eggs in pam but have learned to find them tasty.The old Donna would have fried them in bacon drippings or sausage drippings LOL.

I also make eggbeater omelets or frittatas where I add tons of veggies like diced tomatoes,bell peppers,mushrooms,etc,and then add a pinch of 2% shredded cheese.Sometimes I top it with salsa which I love.

You could also have sf homemade smoothies and add in the fruit of your choice and the milk of your choice.Some people add in whey powder or wheat germ to smoothies also.

DonnaB

ScamperAndDreamy

Post by ScamperAndDreamy » January 7th, 2009, 5:16 pm

Thanks to all that responded. Joe, I have to admit that I had to look up what porridge really was and then to learn it is oatmeal. That tends to be one of my staples as well. I always say that it is comfort food. To sweeten it, I use apple butter, it give the cinnamon flavor and a bit of sweet without all the carbs.

The turkey sausage sounds wonderful as well. I am a big fan of making enough to feed an army and freezing. So much so that I bought one of the food saver machines. I love it.

Donna, do you have a recipe for the homemade smoothies. I am not a real big milk/yogurt fan, but maybe if I disguise the flavor..... I'll need to revisit the turkey bacon as well, when I initially looked at it, I didn't notice any low sodium. I thought that it was a bit peculiar that something that was supposed to be good for your heart had a large amount of sodium.

I guess that takes care of breakfast :)
Cindy (from GA with horses)

TravelingMan

Post by TravelingMan » January 29th, 2009, 6:22 pm

The EggBeaters, especially the Southwest flavor is a good egg substitute for breakfast. Like DonnaB I make an omelette with fresh tomatoes, peppers and even ham. Another favorite is yogurt, granola and fresh fruit. Oatmeal Pie is one I'll do occasionally. WIld Oats Markets/Whole Foods carries a line of mixes called Bob's Red Mill ? (i think that's right) that has like Buckwheat Pancakes, Kashii, several grains I've never heard of. But the Buckwheat has the most fiber. Anyway, mix that with walnuts and or raisins.

db

Re: What's for Breakfast???

Post by db » February 28th, 2009, 11:55 am

ScamperAndDreamy wrote:According to my dietary instructions that I received (yes over a year ago) from the cardiologist's office, for breakfast, I should have 2-3 starches and 2 protein servings. Starches are easy. There are a lot to choose from with low sodium. I get stuck on the protein. I am strict about the limited sodium (400-500 mg / meal), so breakfast meats seem out of the question. I usually have 2 eggs (fried in a dry pan with Pam - sounds tasty now :lol: just kidding on that one). I also tend to carry my breakfast to the office and reheat it once I get there and eat it while I am reading emails.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I heard about having 3 egg whites omelet with vegetables inside..and/OR you can eat it an English muffin with reduced fat peanut butter.&jam. no bagels ..Bagels have a lot more calories.(unless you eat those mini bagels and really no one does... Hope that was helpful. I'm doing weight watchers.. :)

JKulp42757

Post by JKulp42757 » September 18th, 2009, 8:40 pm

As others have said, Egg Beaters are great.
Another alternative is to just separate the whites/yolks yourself.

Potatoes cooked in a little Olive Oil is also good, that and some
egg beaters or egg whites.

I also like Kashi GoLean Crunch Cereal - The Honey Almond Flax variety.
Balloon Surgery 1983
Medtronic GEM DR ICD Implanted 5-19-1999
Boston Scientific Teligen ICD Implanted 9-29-2009

litguru

Post by litguru » September 18th, 2009, 10:01 pm

Certain granola cereals, like Museli have low sugar and high protein, rolled oats, nuts, grains. Eaten with fresh furits like strawberries sliced into them and a topping of yogurt makes it filling and high protien. I was old to limit my egg intake to three a week because of the cholestrol.
Phillip, Toronto

Death is the guru that teaches me about life

Mark

Post by Mark » September 27th, 2009, 3:07 pm

Also whole oat oatmeal is a good morning starter. Here we also add Flax seed and bran to increase the daily amount we get when we have oatmeal. Other ideas that make it more enjoable is Olivio olive oip spread, and of course Splenda. Try a 1/4 cup of raisens, some fresh fruit (half a banana, apple, peach that is over ripe, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and so on.)

The point isn't to make food boring, bring it to life. Give yourself the boast while remaining healthy and you will drop the poiunds.

For dinner ( i know this is breakfast thread) I am making sauce wiht turkey meat5balls and turkey sausage that i make here. no fat added to the sauce except for 1 tablespoon EVOO and I let it simmer about 4 hours. For the pasta I will have Tofu Shirtaki noodles and a samll amount of brocolli ( Yeah I know coumadin, but my INR was 4.4 yesterday soooooo, I needs me a little green vegys!)

The savior about this with the tofu Shirtaki noodle I can eat half a pound of them: YES, 1/2 HALF POUND. Half a pound of regular pasta has about 550 calories alone, with meat sauce you would easily be approaching the 1200-1500 calorie range. My way my half pound of noodles- 80 CALORIES! Yep, only 80 calories, and with my homemade sauce and 3 turkey meatballs I will check in at about 300-450 calories for dinner. We won't count the broccoli because it wont have anything except hot pepper brine on it.

You MUST make eating fun andfhealthy to make is successful- it took me 48 years to learn this but I certainly have! :D

Nolan

Post by Nolan » March 19th, 2012, 2:58 am

Breakfast must be very healthy because we are hungry from the 8 to 10 hours it must contains wholegrain foods like bread or pasta..........

marymonn

Post by marymonn » March 19th, 2012, 4:05 am

I found a great recipe that easily makes small crustless quiches.
the basic ingredients are:
5 eggs, 3 egg whites (I use the ones in the carton), 1 cup 1% milk
add whatever spices, chese, vegetable or meat to the base
then pour into Pam sprayed muffin pan that holds 12.
example: mini-musroom-sausage Quiches:
INGREDIENTS
8 ounces turkey breakfast sausage, removed from casing and crumbled into small pieces
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup sliced scallions
1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
5 eggs
3 egg whites
1 cup 1% milk
Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 325°F. Coat a nonstick muffin tin generously with cooking spray (see Tip).
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Add oil to the pan. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to the bowl with the sausage. Let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in scallions, cheese and pepper.
Whisk eggs, egg whites and milk in a medium bowl. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of the sausage mixture into each cup.
Bake until the tops are just beginning to brown, 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Place a rack on top of the pan, flip it over and turn the quiches out onto the rack. Turn upright and let cool completely.
nutrition:Per quiche: 90 calories; 5 g fat ( 2 g sat , 1 g mono ); 105 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 0 g fiber; 217 mg sodium; 108 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat

I don't care for sausage and use different vegetables, just sort of saute if they tend to have a lot of moisture. I also will use sharp chedar cheese. They are the perfect size to put between an English Muffin and take to work. They freeze or store in refridge for several days. I also like to add spices such as Penzeys "Mural of Flavor".

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » March 21st, 2012, 11:03 pm

The latest articles I've seen claim that eggs were given a bad rap decades ago and that they should be part of your diet if you're serious about controlling your weight. So I poach mine and add pepper, garlic, whatever spices appeal to me at the time.

Other recent articles say to read the label closely when choosing breads... they can be ridiculously high in sodium.

So, sometimes I use the poached egg to make a sandwich with the better quality bread.

Then there's instant oatmeal -- be sure to read the labels to be sure your favorite version hasn't processed out the fiber or sneaked in too much sugar when flavoring it. I've opted to use the whole rolled oats with a teaspoon of applesauce or jelly.

Tonight y'all have me planning to fix buckwheat pancakes this weekend. Now to find some strawberries to put on them...
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » March 22nd, 2012, 7:56 am

I like a banana in a bowl of puffed rice or wheat with 2% milk. No salt in these. Or I will have a bowl of other cold cereal watching the salt content or especially when I am traveling a good bowl of oatmeal.

PLEASE NOTE: We have a recipe forum at the bottom area of the "Board Index" page for all of the recipes you are talking about.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.