Welcome fellow "weight losers"!

A Forum for those with or for those who know people with ICD's and are interested in their ongoing desire and work towards optimum weight.
Mark

Welcome fellow "weight losers"!

Post by Mark » December 31st, 2008, 7:34 pm

Hi!

I thought that this would be a great posting forum for everything related to our daily regime that we have decided to embark on. Of course, nothing drastic and please. make sure your physician knows you are attempting to make a change in your everyday life and lose weight. Not that your physician would really discourage you BUT the important thing is that we consult with them first before making any changes that could lead to something hat might effect your health, your ICD or well being. With that being said...

I am really scared as all get out starting this: I so want this to be the help I need to move forward to being less of me in the future. I have really "tubbed out" for lack of better words and need to lose weight. I hate the term "OBESE" but damn if I have not gotten there. :::sigh::: I feel I NEED to put these words into type so I can see them making me very very conscious of my situation everyday I come here. I know I can eat better, move more and make excellent decisions about every piece of food that goes int o my mouth.

I know I am going to be a whiner about this, because this is the ONE issue that haunts me day to day. I hope you all don't get sick of me, and I know I won;t of anyone else that comes to gripe about how hard this is to do. WE WILL DO IT!

I created two forums: A general chat forum where we can list things form diet tips to helpful ways to avoid eating garbage. If the forum flows at a good pace we can add other areas to this such as 'recipes', 'working out' and so on. This is as good a time as any to start with ideas and flow them past everyone: we are all in this together! :)

The other forum are is going to be a personal blog area. Now, NO ONE is forced to post anything or even about themselves in a blog fashion if they don;t want to, but remember this is all new waters for us and we are floating things to see what works and what doesn't. So expect things to change and be added or taken away, all of course with everyone input and advice we can make this forum a very helpful addition to the ICD Support Group page.

This board is all about support, and with his new forum I hope we can help support each other. So let the posting begin. I look forward to everyones input and thoughts. You guys are the best.

ruthy

Post by ruthy » January 1st, 2009, 11:30 am

Thank you Mark , and a happy New Year to you and all .
I will just start by saying that weight has been a life time issue for me , and has give me lots of grief . I was always treated differently by some others , and made to feel like i was not human , this has made me have very low self esteem .
I have used food to make myself feel better , when i was down , and soon became a very bad habit . I am now getting help for these issues , and taking it one day at a time .
I now am also a non smoker as of just a week , so i am taking on alot but , i have been sick with my chest infection so i thought it was a god time .
I think alot of my habits started as a child , it was a difficult life as a child , and food seemed to be the way out for any problem .
Any way my weight started to peak after getting DCM , and was put on all these meds , and a lack of exercise , it wasn't long and its got way out of control .
just an example , i was out before Christmas , was sick and had to go to ER , the doctor was so rude , i asked for something for my sugar i had been in ER for 8 hrs , and my sugar was going down low , he answered , you look like you could go a couple weeks with out something to eat , i was in total shock , but this is just what people can be like , and it has damaged me , big time . Any way i am blabbering on here hope i am making sense to some of you , and its nice to have a place to come and not be judged , and that others have been there and understand . I hope that each and everyone one of us can help each other out , in some small way . All the best to you all , with much love and understanding ~ Love~ Ruthy

Mark

Post by Mark » January 1st, 2009, 11:39 am

ruthy wrote: he answered , you look like you could go a couple weeks with out something to eat , i was in total shock , but this is just what people can be like , and it has damaged me , big time
First and foremost Ruthy, no problem and I totally understand: Weight has been a life long issue with me too. BUT, and I must say this very strongly- I would get this doctors name and go as far up the ladder as it took to have him pay for that rude and unneeded comment. I can guarantee had a doctor said the to me, he would be flipping hamburgers today. I don't take that from anyone, and doctors are just people with a title and that does not give them the right to be rude.

I understand Ruthy, and you know what? SCREW HIM! He just showed you exactly the kind of fiber he comes from and he should be ashamed of himself, but you are also right that the world can be cruel. So guess what, we're going to change that and together we are all going to regain our lives by losing weight and becoming healthy. I am sorry that this rude (loss for a better word) asshole said that to you so we are going to show him and the rest of the world that you can be in control of your life and loss weight.

Lacey

Post by Lacey » January 1st, 2009, 6:57 pm

HEY I HOPE I CAN JOIN THIS WEIGHT LOSS .. I NEED TO LOSE SOME WEIGHT....
lAcEY

CarlB

Post by CarlB » January 1st, 2009, 7:18 pm

Well I guess we can party like its 2009! I look back about 15-17 years when I was a comptitive race walker. I was in great shape, but events occured that messed that up. Since dealing with heart disease (visrus caused) its been a battle with weight. I did use the protine diet, but I ended up with a stent for my efforts, plus changing my diet to make me happy. Right after the doctor that put in my stent made the comment that the best thing I could do for myself was to loose 80 pounds. Right! I did stay at about 230 for along time, but I lost that battle in the past year. I keep walking, but I have the bad habit of putting to much into my mouth.

Back at it today, with my wife at my side and an increase in activity, AND with the support of all of you that are going to work at this together I have a good attitude. We all will suceed in some way collectively. Small gains (not weight) will be my goal. Thank in advance.
CarlB

Heather

Post by Heather » January 4th, 2009, 7:06 pm

Ruthie,

that was so unprofessional and down right mean what the Dr. said. Either way, I would mention this incident, or write a letter to the hospital supervisor. I have learned the hard way, that some people are so incencitive, and oblivious to other peoples feelings, that by voicing my opinion, my heart feels better.

ScamperAndDreamy

Post by ScamperAndDreamy » January 6th, 2009, 12:24 pm

I'd love to have a blog as well. I haven't been too good about getting on and posting on the main board but I do lurk regularly and say prayers to all of those in need.

Mark, thank you again for taking your time to set this forum up to support all aspects of our heart disease.
Cindy (from GA with horses)

Smart Red

joined up finally

Post by Smart Red » February 12th, 2009, 3:13 pm

I expressed interest in joining the weight loss group before the holidays when I first learned that Mark planned to set this up. For some reason I couldn't sign in to the ICD site until today. So. . . . .here I am.

Thanks for the opportunity, Mark!

Red

karslake

Post by karslake » March 12th, 2009, 11:29 pm

Yes, thanks Mark.

I have just lost 5 kgs (10 lbs 10 ozs)!! I really don't advise any of you to try this method. When I blacked out and smashed all my top teeth - smashed some, a few came out whole - had the roots removed and gums sewn up - I didn't feel at all like eating. Now have an upper set of false ones and still don't enjoy eating any more!
Please DON"T try it.

Eve & Blabbermouth 111

Smart Red

Post by Smart Red » March 14th, 2009, 4:45 pm

Oh, Eve, that is just terrible! It hurts me just to think about what happened. Don't worry. That is definitely a "DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!" kind of weight loss plan. And I, for one, have no intentions of losing weight that way!

I'm torn between saying "congrats on your weight loss", and I hope you get back to feeling yourself soon. If nothing else, ya got a good start. Just be sure to take care of yourself and get a more reasonable plan in effect.

Here I am, working out like a mad woman and watching almost every bite for a full month, and you're ahead of me in the weight loss 'game'. It just 'taint fair that you can't black out more gracefully!

Sorry, Eve. I'm just teasing you a bit. I know you've been having enough health problems lately to drive a personal trainer into a fast-food buffet. You certainly didn't need another stressful event. Sending healthy thoughts and warm hugs your way. . .

Love, Red

karslake

Post by karslake » March 15th, 2009, 12:01 am

Thanks Red. Yes, I knew you were teasing. It is a pity I can't black-out more gracefully! Last year I blacked out with my head over the deep end of the swimming pool, my upper torso squashed on the concrete surround, and my legs scraped over a low wall!! (I had the most beautiful purple boobs and ribs and a gashed right leg that still looks bruised).
However, I think I must have put a jinx on myself after writing that as I started feeling hungry!! I made myself some chicken & mushroom pasta - then later made a hamburger! (Only ate half of it though!)
Ah well! Such is life!
Love
Eve & Blabbermouth 111

itchy1851

Re: Welcome fellow "weight losers"!

Post by itchy1851 » November 29th, 2009, 7:23 pm

I have been on a diet sence june I have lost a total today of 70 lbs. Some tips I use don't eat empty foods. I you go off one day don't feelbad about start again the next day, I found when I first started my weight the first 25 lbs was the hardest, after you start seeing the differance its a little easier. MY ef is 15 to 20 and in the future I will need a bmi of no higher than 33 Mine is now 37. But I can tell you this when I get down to bmi of 33 they dr will tell me to get down to a bmi of 30. I have lost 150 lbs in 18 months once after 10 years I started to gain it back (I had a walking problem) ate all the wrong foods. Its a life long battle for some people I just happen to be on of them.

shirley

Post by shirley » November 29th, 2009, 8:42 pm

For a minute I thought maybe Ruthy and I had the same doctor. But, she is in Canada and I am in Texas.

I was in a hospital surgical room having a heart procedure done and my doctor lifted up some of my extra adominal fat and told everyone in the room to look at all that fat. Then he said, Shirley, how much do you weigh? I didn't answer him. He then told everyone that he had a 250 pounder coming in next week. Needless to say, he is no longer my doctor. I now have a cardiologist who makes me feel like his main purpose in life is keeping me alive and happy. He is really great.

The first doctor is considered the best cardiologist in our town. He might be but he proved to me that even educated, professional men can be jerks. To him I was not his patient. I was the "Joke of the Day".

lostit

Post by lostit » November 29th, 2009, 8:50 pm

Shirley, Are you sure it was not Halloween and he was a jackass dressed up as a doctor? What a jerk. I am overweight, all my ep said is he knows I know and will try, he was not rude.
Anita

shirley

Post by shirley » November 29th, 2009, 9:07 pm

I love your description, Anita. A jackass dressed like a doctor. So, so true.