Walking 10,000 Steps a Day

A Forum for those with or for those who know people with ICD's and are interested in their ongoing desire and work towards optimum weight.
Jim and Sparky

Walking 10,000 Steps a Day

Post by Jim and Sparky » January 24th, 2013, 12:14 pm

I just heard of this daily goal to help people with their weight loss goals. It seemed a little far fetched. Was wondering if anybody else had any experience with this.

I had a one year driving restriction after I became bionic. In that year I walked a lot. It was very beneficial for me. I got in the regular habit of walking close to 3 miles almost every other day with a minimum of walking 1/2 mile each day. Well, with being able to drive again, my walking has decreased, but I have still tried to keep up some of the effort just because it feels so good to me. I've decided that I don't want to be a runner anymore and I don't belong to a gym real bad, so walking has become my primary form of exercise.

So here's my thoughts. I heard that a person, even with a relative sedentary lifestyle might take 3,000 steps each day, so I wonder how far a person must walk to get to 10,000 steps a day. This morning I tried to count the number of steps in a half mile and figure it is close to 900 steps for me. so 1,800 for a mile. So if I took 3,000 steps a day anyway, I would need to take another 7,000 steps to get to 10,000 and that would equate to almost 4 miles every day.

Doesn't sound impossible, but also would take a while. Walking at 3 mph, a distance of 4 miles would take 1 hour and 20 minutes. Each Day! Do I really have that kind of time each day?

What are some of your thoughts?
MI 1/21/11; SCA's 2/3/11 and 2/4/11
I have a Boston Scientific Teligen ICD and a Boston Scientific Promus stent,
I guess my cardiologist is sort of a BS kind of guy.

Two rules to live by:
1) Don't sweat the small stuff!
2) It's all small stuff!

My Intro is on this page: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 917#p74917

freckles1880

Re: Walking 10,000 Steps a Day

Post by freckles1880 » January 24th, 2013, 2:00 pm

First I do understand that walking is the number one exercise that most people can do. We need to also need to understand our bodies. I was walking 3 miles 3 times a week plus other exercises. I was averaging a little less than 20 minute miles. Today I did 2 miles and averaged 34 minute miles. Many days I just don't have the power. Those who are younger and feel good should be able to do the 3 miles. When I was working I walked about 2 or so miles just going to meetings and through the hallways. I still do other things 4 days a week and walk elsewhere but no more the 3 miles an hour.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » January 24th, 2013, 2:37 pm

Hi Jim :)

I too had a driving restriction; mine was for 7 months and 17 days, but the good part was that I did learn that I didn't hate walking like I thought I did.

I bought the http://www.fitbit.com/zip

I love it! It encourages me to do 10,000 steps a day, and most of the time I do, Monday to Friday. On the weekends I do less. This week I did 11,455 steps on Mon., 10,480 on Tues., 10,113 yesterday. I'm already at 6265 today :D

10,000 steps is approx 5 miles.
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

Eric

Post by Eric » January 24th, 2013, 5:43 pm

Jim,

We have a program at our work that employees can participate in that if they do, they get a discount on their health insurance premiums. It basically is a wellness program that includes eating, exercise and quit tobaccoo (If you use it). If you do not fit the recommended guidelines our company has established, then you get a health coach and you have to specifiy yearly goals and contact your coach once a month (I know, long story to get to the point)
As part of this program, we have had several "Challenges" that involved pedometers. Anyone who wanted to participate could get a free pedometer and then they were supposed to track the number of steps they took a week. Our goal was basically 7000 steps a day to be eligible for the drawing at the end of each week.
I participated and found I averaged just over 8000 steps a day, just with my no exercise routine. When I was helping coach little league baseball, I was then closer to 10000 a day. Obviously from the increase in steps from pacing the dugout and walking out to the first base box to be a first base coach. I was amazed at how Easy it was to get to 10000 steps a day without really planning on walking. Since I average around 8000 steps in a normal day, all I really have to do is try and make an effort to get to that 10000 goal.
My current health coach is currently pushing me to accept this as a personal goal for myself and then tracking it for her. I am seriously thinking about it (however the single digit weather we have been having recently doesn't help my enthusiasm with taking this on. THe trouble for me is I know I can do it, but like you said "Do I have the time" I know I do as I have demonstrated it in the past so after reading this post I believe I am going to call her up and say "Yes, I will do it"
Now how can I figure out how to cheat that pedometer. lmao4dx

Eric
Eric [bot]

Idiopathic CHF/ EF currently @ 53%, Low point 26%
St Jude ICD implanted 6/2008 Device changed 6/2009
1 Shock (innappropriate), ICD reprogramed 6/2010
Lead revision 3/2011 due to fractured lead
53 shock storm 4/21/2011 (Inappropriate)
ICD turned off May 20111 through 8/16/2011
Lead revision 8/16/2011
VT episodes starting in August 2012
ICD Changeout 2/25/2013 St. Jude Inspire Assura
Too many meds to count
Life is too short, live in the moment and make the best of it :)
Intro is here:http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 271#p75271

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » January 24th, 2013, 6:39 pm

I guess is it takes about 1 1/2 hours to do 5 miles.

I'm able to do it because I've chosen to walk to the train station instead of taking my car. Then, I walk from the station to my office, rather than taking the subway. Then, I walk at lunch and then do the same thing to go home.

If I'm short steps at night, I've walked around my house just to reach my 10, 000 steps lmao4dx I figure that I'm so close, I have to reach the 10,000. My Fitbit syncs automatically on my iPhone too, so I can just look on my phone to see my progress. It automatically resets itself at midnight too.

I haven't lost any weight, but that's because I love to eat every hour while at work :roll: , and I sit most of the day.
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

Jim and Sparky

Post by Jim and Sparky » January 24th, 2013, 11:03 pm

Thanks for the info everybody, and Eric, that new avatar is to die for.

I have been using an App called Endomondo to track exercise. It's mostly for time and distance because it uses the GPS device in the phone. It will also estimate calories spent depending on the type of exercise. I discovered tonight that there is an add-on step counter, so I added it. I think it will just estimate number of steps because I see no way to input any average stride length. So we will see. I didn't realize that there so many pedometer type apps available.
MI 1/21/11; SCA's 2/3/11 and 2/4/11
I have a Boston Scientific Teligen ICD and a Boston Scientific Promus stent,
I guess my cardiologist is sort of a BS kind of guy.

Two rules to live by:
1) Don't sweat the small stuff!
2) It's all small stuff!

My Intro is on this page: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 917#p74917