I have a new ICD

All posts from Jan 1, 2006 thru Dec 31, 2006

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Richard F

I have a new ICD

Post by Richard F » August 15th, 2012, 7:03 pm

I am in Williamsburg VA and recently had a defibillator/pacemaker implanted. I am trying to live each day as a normal day but I do not know what to expect re: cell phone usage, microwave, airline travel. Any suggestions for me?

TruckerRon

Re: I have a new ICD

Post by TruckerRon » August 15th, 2012, 10:22 pm

Richard F wrote:I am in Williamsburg VA and recently had a defibillator/pacemaker implanted. I am trying to live each day as a normal day but I do not know what to expect re: cell phone usage, microwave, airline travel. Any suggestions for me?
We've had numerous threads on those topics. To sum up the ones you mentioned:

Cell phones aren't a problem as long as you keep the phone at least 6 inches from the ICD. Some in our group have gotten away with carrying the phone in the shirt pocket just below the device but it's not recommended.

Microwave ovens aren't a problem anymore unless you somehow crawl into one. :duh: Actually only the early microwave ovens and early ICDs and pacemakers interacted. OTOH some of the stores have the hardware at their entrances for detecting stolen merchandise which can interact with our devices; the advice for those is to walk through and not linger within their fields.

Airline travel is possible and generally hassle-free. You can show your info card, but most in our group just point to the device and say "Pacemaker" to alert the TSA folks to NOT send you through the normal devices, NOT to wand you (the truly dangerous thing because those wands can scramble an ICD's programming), but to use the other imaging devices or to do a pat down.

Welcome to the group! And :armdown:
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

freckles1880

Re: I have a new ICD

Post by freckles1880 » August 16th, 2012, 7:58 am

Ron is correct. One great way to find out what your manufacturer recommends you stay away from is from your manufacturer. You should have a manual that contains some of the information. You can also look up the company's WEB site and see what they show. I believe most have the same basic guidelines.

We don't have to be afraid of our ICD, we just need to be aware of being too close to some type of power. wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.