cold weather and icd

Posts from Jan. 1, 2009 to Dec 31, 2009

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin

rjdooofj

cold weather and icd

Post by rjdooofj » December 14th, 2009, 7:30 pm

Hi every one; Can someone tell me if the cold weather can make someone feel ill with and icd. The weather here is minus 30. I was out shopping and I felt sick all of a sudden. Now that I am home I am feeling fine. Thanks for and information any one can give me

Chris

uksteve
Hunk

Re: cold weather and icd

Post by uksteve » December 14th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Nothing to do with the weather but I cant shop in Malls I go really funny ,wonder if its all the security barriers interfeering Steve
They say lightning does'nt strike twice...."They" dont have an ICD!!! -Steve G

I believe in re-incarnation , my headstone wont say RIP instead it will say BRB

"The mind is like a parachute, it only only works when it is open"- Frank Zappa (In Memory of Mark)

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 14th, 2009, 8:22 pm

Another thing that is more to do with your condition. Since my heart attack I cannot stand the cold outside or if the wind is blowing I can't get enough air through my lungs.
My lungs are clear but with my low EF I was told NOT to exert myself if the temp is under 40 degrees F. I can walk 2-3 miles inside but it is hard to walk 100 feet in the bitter cold. I grew up in Alaska. So for many of us it is not the iCD but our condition. wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

JR1966

Post by JR1966 » December 14th, 2009, 8:28 pm

Yes, I struggle with both hot and cold weather since getting a heart problem.I believe it's because the heart works much harder to maintain optimum body temperature in hot or cold weather.

I think that's the reason,I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

rjdooofj

Post by rjdooofj » December 14th, 2009, 8:37 pm

thanks for the information. I will just stay home until it warms up some.
chris

JR1966

Post by JR1966 » December 14th, 2009, 8:42 pm

It doesn't mean that you stay at home all the time Chris.Just make sure that your rugged up and warm.You can't let the icd dictate your life to that extent.Stay warm and you should be fine.

Paul S

Post by Paul S » December 14th, 2009, 10:53 pm

One of the best things I've found to do in going out in cold weather is to wear a scarf over your mouth so your breath will be warmed. Extremes of both hot & cold are hard on me.

Paul S
Paul S, 76, Original ICD 12/2/2002 - Bi-Ventricular ICD 4/5/2010 - A/V Nodal Ablation 6/7/2010 - Bi-Ventricular ICD 4/30/2014 - Atrial Fibrillation, Coronary Artery Disease, Ischemic Cardiomyopathy, Ventricular Tachycardia

Amiodarone, Aspirin, Carvedilol, Digoxin, Furosemide (As Needed), Nitro (Slow Release) Losartan, Warfarin, Zolpidem, Wine, Dark Chocolates, Green Teas, Walnuts, Almonds, & Select Imported and Micro-brewed ales.

Maturity Is Highly Overrated

DonnaB

Post by DonnaB » December 15th, 2009, 1:47 am

My cardio told me to watch for extremes with the weather...if it is over 85 and with or without humidity(very humid in Arkansas),or if it is below 40 humid or not, or if the wind is blowing and providing a wind chill,to not be outside for long,or not to exert myself too much.So many rules and regs.So wanting to live my life to my best,that I use some good common sense,but I am the captain of my own ship,so to be honest I am not always a rule follower,nor sometimes, am I totally compliant.Balance balance balance is my new motto LOL.I was out quite a bit last week with the high winds,much colder than normal temps,etc.I swim and hike in the summer because I will be :expld" if I will stay inside the whole summer.

I have had cardiac issues for 27 months,so have sure learned my body,my heart,etc enough to use my own judgement.If I am wrong about something re my heart,I try something else,or call my cardio or EP.It works for me,but it may not work for others.

That is due more to my cardiomyopathy,asthma,and because,like Bob I have had heart attacks,a triple bypass,stents,and such.

Each person is different,has similar or totally totally different cardiac concerns,etc.

My ICD,Thumper,will not be affected by the weather,as far as I know,and with my heart.The 3 seperate shock episodes were...one time while vacuuming,1 time due to low potassium,and one time really unknown why it happened.My first set of shocks was in Sept 08(implanted may 08),next was January 09,and last was in May.Not too unbearably hot and humid in late Sept.January can be a cold month here,with ice,but that did not play into that zap session.

Now if I sweat a lot,while outside during a hot,typical Arkansas summer,I can get dehydrated or have messed up electrolytes,due to my meds,and such.That can lead to a shock for me.

Hope you feel better,and that you take good care of yourself.You might consider talking to your cardio and or EP if it continues.

DonnaB

Jean

Post by Jean » December 15th, 2009, 1:49 am

Chris:
I also can not take the cold weather. I get cold teeth chattering and shaking cold easy, sometimes even in the house. I have a little electric heater I will sit next to. if I turned the furnace up I would roast everyone. my EF is 25 I dont know if that has anything to do with not handling the cold well or not but I stay in to if its like it was last week windchill below 0 :freez: Take care!
Jean

Cardiomyothapy,LBBB, CHF, Diabetes
Cognis CRT-D implanted May 11,2010

Gordon

Post by Gordon » December 15th, 2009, 5:55 am

I was told by my cardiologist pre ICD but post CABG X3 that if it was over 85 degrees or under 40 degrees not to excersize outside. It has nothing to do with your ICD it is a wounded heart issue.
Gordon
didntdoit
Gordon
San Angelo,TX

Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
1st Implant Sept 1996

Experience is knowing a lot of things you shouldn't do
William S. Knudsen

Lazydays

Post by Lazydays » December 15th, 2009, 9:02 am

The one and only time that I received a shock was when I was riding my bike in freezing temperatures. I was a quite breathless and gulping in lots of freezing air. When I spoke to my cardiologist he said that exercising in the cold was not a good idea. I walk quite a bit but try to avoid doing so in very cold weather. If you have to, I agree with Paul S in that you should perhaps wear a scarf around your mouth or cup your hand over your mouth to ensure that some warm air goes into your lungs.

It probably is more of a problem concerning our underlying conditions than just having the ICD.

Stay out of the :freez:
Gary

Life Can Sometimes Be A Shocking Experience

March 1994 - MI
June 2003 - Stent
July 2008 - VT - Stent & ICD fitted
Dec 2008 - Appropriate shock
Sept 2011 - Ventricular Ablation (failed)
May 2012 - Ventricular Ablation
May 2013 - Ventricular Ablation (failed to induce VT )
June 2014 - Ventricular Ablation
25mg Spirolactone
5mg Bisoprolol
10mg Ramipril
40mg Pravastatin
Warfarin
Disopyramide - 400 mg

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » December 16th, 2009, 7:26 am

I've gotten about the same story-only "work" between 40 and 80 degrees (F). The cardiac rehab nurses also pointed out a local shopping mall where going around the top and bottom is a mile-don't know about problems with the anti shoplifting electronics-I'm not much for malls or exercise.

Apparently cold causes your blood vessels to constrict-we are in that group that don't need any of our blood vessels to do any more constricting ;-)

And of course, snow shoveling is an absolute NO NO.... consolsmile

(you said "30 below"? Cars should not be outside in 30 below)
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

turboz24

Post by turboz24 » December 16th, 2009, 11:20 am

I just don't like cold weather, I have no "temperature" restrictions from my doctor.

Now, my ICD does ache more when it's cold outside, though.

LMT033167

Post by LMT033167 » December 16th, 2009, 12:25 pm

Cold weather doesn't seem to bother me, but our cold here in FL is 70 degrees :P

I can't handle the heat, I get ill also and pass out alot, heat intolerance but it's from my dysautonomia and ANS problems.
Lisa
8/26/2009 Cardiac Ablation, Malignant polymorphic VT, Bradycardia, 50,000 pvc's
(SCA during surgery after sustained VT & V-fib 3 times)
8/28/2009 Telgien PM/ICD implanted
Non-Ischemic Cardiomyopathy Trace MVP; Mild Tricuspid Regurgitation; LVH

rjdooofj

Post by rjdooofj » December 17th, 2009, 1:49 am

thanks for the information.The weather has warmed up so Now when I go outside i dont feel ill. The car gets plugged in when it is too cold outside, so that it will start in the mornings. I dont like the cold and cant handle the heat in the summer. What a way to live,but I am alive and thats all that counts. I hope everyone has a great Christmas and a great new year

Chris