It is currently October 30th, 2014, 11:53 am

Atrial Ablation after Mitral Valve Replacement 

Post Atrial Ablation after Mitral Valve Replacement
Has anyone out there had Ablation after having mitral valves replaced? Surely someone must do this, as the A-Fib is a direct result of the replacement.

August 6th, 2009, 12:19 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Atrial Ablation after Mitral Valve Replacement
I had the MAZE procedure preformed during my Mitral Valve replacement. It did not work. After my ICD placement, my Doctor recommended that I have the ablation procedure, my EP who placed the ICD recommended holding off as he said that I would have a low percentage chance of it working and he wanted me to completely recover from the ICD operation. I am in a-fib a lot, but my BP and heart rate is good - So I wait and see.

August 6th, 2009, 6:31 am
Profile E-mail

I have had 4 ablations all with both mitral and aortic valves. The valves were 20 years old at the time. I also titrated the coumadin down to levels acceptable to begin heparin and then got back on coumadin the same day as the ablations. I also had to stay in on heparin to get back to the magic 2.0 number. One of the issues I had was developing huge hematomas over the implant. I mean about softball size that had to have a pressure bandage on and it hurt like hell. Took almost 6 weeks for it to be reabsorbed back into my system. The bruising was pretty gross to. The last ablation had to be done by an incision under the breast and then the surgeon opened the bottom of my heart so the EP could ablate. I was out of afib for about 6 months after the last one but now I am back in afib and aflutter 24/7. My ICD is set so I don't feel it as much but when I do feel the afib it is pretty intense. If you have any more questions just holler.

Seven stents
Stroke
Brain bleed
Pacemaker upgraded to ICD due to SCD episode
Multiple ablations but back in afib 24/7
Loss of my spouse Jim 6-17-2008
Meeting a new Jim
Marry Jim 9-26-2009
New ICD, Concerto and Fidelis lead removal 12-11-2009

August 6th, 2009, 10:58 am

Yes, I had my mitral valve replaced 12 years ago and had an ablation a few months ago. ...oops, I don't know if it was an atrial ablation though---so maybe I haven't had what you're asking. I had it for ventricular fibs, so I guess it was ventricular ablation. The doctors just called it cardiac ablation. Hope this helps anyway.

first ICD 2005, Guidant
second ICD 2010, St. Jude
Sudden Cardiac Arrests: 1 in 2005, 10 in 2009

August 7th, 2009, 5:29 am
Profile YIM

Kathy - what do they have you on for the A-Fib/flutter? I don't know people can stand it - it drove me crazy! I was tired all of the time, and couldn't do the things I wanted to do. That's why I opted for the cardioversion! God love that Fentanyl! That was the only time my heart took a bit of a rest. Now - with the Amio, it's all good! Hopefully there won't be any breakthroughs with this - because the ablation is my last option.

I looked into the Maze procedure - but they will not perform this unless you are having heart surgery done at the same time.

August 7th, 2009, 11:27 pm
Profile E-mail