It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 7:55 pm

Social Security Disability question 

Post Social Security Disability question
I am looking into SSDI and spoke to a lawyer today. He is going to look at my medical records and talk to my doctors, but he is not sure if I will be able to get it. He said if I was 50 or older I would get it no problem, but since I am only 37 he doesnt think I will get it. That doesnt seem right to me. I had to retire from being a firefighter because of the Brugada Syndrome, and now my doctor told me I should not do my part time work as a contractor. My doctor is pushing me to not work at all. Right now I cant even drive. Has anyone applied for SSDI? What was your outcome? Does anyone have any advice when applying for SSDI with Brugada Syndrome? Thanks.

ICD since March 2008

June 3rd, 2009, 10:56 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Social Security Disability question
I have no opinion on your medical condition, but can comment on Soc Sec. I was an office manager and 60 when I had my third heart attack, did triple by-pass and got an icd. My ejection fraction was under 30%. In this condition and at 60, the "guidebooks" indicated I'd get disability. I tried filing myself and ultimately, months later, was "rejected." I then got a lawyer and we did it all again (he was interested in how many days per year I'd miss from a job because of my heart). About 2 1/2 years after all this, I did get disability and finally medicare. Everyone involved stressed that my age (60+) was a significant factor.

Lawyers of course take social security cases on a contingency basis-you win, they win, you lose, they lose. In my case, there really was just a paralegal filing some routine papers-nothing legally or medically "tricky." My point to all this is: your age is a huge negative factor, most likely a "good" lawyer will only take your case if he/she is sure you would win, but it takes a long time to find out if you'll win or lose and even a longer time before you can get medicare (the cost of health insurance during this time can be enormous).

In short, this can be a long, long process with a suspect outcome. Basically they will bankrupt you before giving you disability IF they give it to you at all.

Clearly, there are even younger people (like 25 or younger) that would be eligible for, truly need and receive disability. I'm just saying make sure you look at all your options.

June 3rd, 2009, 11:36 pm
Profile E-mail

I can't speak for Brudga but I filed mine online and only had to go for an ultrasound to be approved. The advice I got was make sure you explain every symptom, every restriction in detail be wordy.

They would not take any med records from me but had to request them straight from the providers. I actually was able to go through a smaller office and got a lot of individual attention. I never had to set foot in the office, she helped me do everything via mail. She also contacted me after approval and signed my son up for benefits he recieves because I am disabled, I did not think we would be eligible because my husband works but he was and it made a huge differnce.

Now the private carrier for my company is another very long story, but it will have a happy ending eventually.

CHF since 6/2007 Medtronic Biventicular ICD since Febuary 6, 2008

"If you think that was shocking stand me by a microwave"

"Live! Live! Live! life's a banquet and some poor suckers are starving"

June 3rd, 2009, 11:46 pm

I don't know if you are eligible for SSDI. I was pretty young when I was awarded.

First, you must remember that in order to qualify you must be unable to seek any employment that you are qualified for due to your medical condition. The key phrase there is "qualified for". In addition you must be able to draw comperable wages. You don't have to go from a $200000 a year job to a minimum wage job simply because you are able to perform the tasks.

The key here is that to qualify for SSDI you must be totally disabled. That is open to interpretation.

I will share my experience. It may or not be typical. I applied. I thought I was going to have an easy task because I was already labeled as totally disabled by the Army. I got a rejection. I appealed. I got another rejection. I appealed again. I got rejected. I hired a lawyer and he filed his paperwork. We ended up going to the federal court in Houston. When we got there, Social Security folded completely. We weren't in the courtroom for fifteen minutes. For that I paid the lawyer 25% of my back pay. Go figure.

I'll leave it up to you to figure out the motivations behind all this.

don

June 3rd, 2009, 11:53 pm
Profile E-mail

http://www.disabilitydoc.com/405-recurrent-arrhythmias/

I found this site Erik maybe there will some information to help you but dont give up apply and keep going with every appeal I was awarded at 39 years old. A long road but I never gave up. Take care, Jean

Cardiomyothapy,LBBB, CHF, Diabetes
Cognis CRT-D implanted May 11,2010

June 4th, 2009, 12:35 am
Profile E-mail

Hi,

I have another perspective on this.

I think that working can be beneficial for those who can work. I work fulltime, although realise that eventually I mayy have to go part time or retire early as a result of my heart condition. I have had periods where I've thought that I just want to give up work, claim incapacity (I'm in the UK) and then I would know that I'm not putting unnecessary strain on my heart. I have periods of absence, and have had to take a step back at work as I can't do what I would like to, I'm often exhausted, especially in the autumn term (I'm a teacher) and often have to go to the nurse's office for a rest in the day. I know that I could put a claim in - my sister has for 'depression' and 'back pain' and hasn't worked for 2 years!

However, for many people, me included, work is an important part of their identity, it gives me a sense that I am contributing to society and that my life is worth living, its where I see people, most of my friends are at work here, its why I get out of bed in the morning, I'm learning new things all of the time, I feel part of the world and its also somewhere where I can sometimes 'forget' about my heart condition. The people that I've known go onto incapacity or unemployment or retired early often feel even more restricted in their lives, often become more depressed, and often become 'old' before their time. This is even more the case where it has led to a significantly reduced income.

Its very early days for you. I know that I spent a couple of years wanting to stop work and feeling that if I did all my problems would go away. I know now that this is not true and that for me, giving up work would be another defeat and another loss. In addition, part of wanting to claim incapacity is also, for me, to do with having my problems acknowledged. It annoys me that my sister (who I consider to be in much better health than me!) is on incapacity and I'm paying tax to support her!! However, my quality of life is much better, and I can hold my head up knowing that I'm doing my best and am in the world, making a difference, however small. It takes a lot more self disicpline to achieve that feeling outside work.

These are just my thoughts, and I don't know your situation or anyone else's in detail. I'm posting it as a different perspective - a sort of 'be careful what you wish for' point of view.....

Take care

Karen

June 4th, 2009, 5:58 am

I hired a lawyer and was approved on first try I awas 51 at the time you can look at ss guidelines on their website to see if you qualify I also have m/d so not sure if they approved me for heart or m/d my ef was 30 and I was stage 3 chf hope taht helps

Dave P

June 4th, 2009, 7:18 am

Well, this is a situation that is very different for everyone.
On my 56th birthday I was found to have NHL cancer. I went through 6 doses of chemo. We called Soc Sec and talked with a very nice lady. She sent all the paperwork and info to us to be filled out. Answering every question in detail and having every medical record in house this very nice person told us to forget about the cancer and concentrate on my back problem which I have had since 1987.
Soc Sec set me up an appointment with their doctor and he looked at me for about 5 minutes and told me not to worry. In a few weeks I was approved for full benefits. So it is a different process for each case. Also I guess who you get to talk to.
We did not need a lawyer or "Binder and Binder". It cost me no money at all and was so easy for us we could not believe it.
A friend of mine was not approved with the same cancer a few years ago and after he got a lawyer was approved but for only as long as he was getting treatments. Go figure. And now with my heart condition, caused by the chemo, work is questionable. Best of luck in your quest.

Two Leads, Right Apex, Right Atrium
Implanted April 3, 2009
First Therapy April 14, 2009
Second Therapy June 30, 2009

Keep the light on,I'll be home soon, RoyImage

June 4th, 2009, 8:39 am
Profile E-mail

I guess I should have mentioned I am the big 40 and have low ef and stage III CHF. I also worked in the medical, dental and life insurance field on the claims side for 20+ years for what that is worth, did not help with the other company.

Karen-I also love you perspective because as my dad always said "Ya got to keep moving", I dont' know if it is a federal program but there is the ability to get a ticket to work with the disability. This puts a limit on what you can earn, but does give you the freedom to keep working when possible. Now the limit is soooo low it does make it difficult.

Don- with the private carrier that is exactly what what is going to happen. My lawyer said basically they are on the hook till I am 65 so they are hedging thier bet that I will either quit trying, die, or they can make me miserible enough to settle for not even a 1/4 of what the claim would be worth over the next 25 years. They under estimate the amount of stubborness that my grandmothers passed on to me!!!!

CHF since 6/2007 Medtronic Biventicular ICD since Febuary 6, 2008

"If you think that was shocking stand me by a microwave"

"Live! Live! Live! life's a banquet and some poor suckers are starving"

June 4th, 2009, 10:18 am

I tried on my own and was denied, then hired any attorney and was approved, and I was 41 at the time.

Medtronic Virtuoso DR
Sudden Cardiac Death - 5/7/2008 (my wedding anniversary)
ICD Implant - 5/9/2008
First Shock - 6/9/2008

June 5th, 2009, 2:44 pm
Profile E-mail

I was approved on the first try. I did it all myself. Best advice fill all the answers in with a detailed explanation. I was 45 at the time am 47 now. I applied with an ef of 30 and diabetes uncontrolled. I also was able to get my employer, at the time, disability insurance to cover me also.

I just had a review from the insurance with my previous employer and they have agreed to cover me until I get better or hit retirement age, although they have determined I will probably not get any better.

Social security will review my status every 3-5 years.

Brian

June 5th, 2009, 4:10 pm

Thanks for the information and the help. I appreciate it.

Erik

ICD since March 2008

June 5th, 2009, 4:14 pm
Profile E-mail