It is currently April 24th, 2014, 9:37 pm

Rash and Itchiness Around Incision 

Post Rash and Itchiness Around Incision
I have a light colored rash above and below the incision and constant itchiness since last night. It has been slightly itchy since about 2 weeks after implant but has become constantly itchy, it is even itchy under the skin around the pocket but no rash. I don't have a fever or anything and I don't think it is infected. Could it just be from using my arm a lot more now that it has been 6 weeks since implant? Did anyone have itchiness around their ICD and incision with their healing?
Thanks,
Diane

February 22nd, 2009, 11:18 pm

Not to be construed as medical advice....but the itchiness is usually a good thing and a sign of healing. I think this is common for most incisional surgeries. I am sure there will be other opinions as well.

Tom

February 23rd, 2009, 12:18 am
Profile YIM WWW

I experienced itching and I do believe is normal in healing as experienced with sternum incision from bypass surgery also. the rash cant really say as didnt experience that. It could be from more freedom of usage of arm, but thats merely a guess.

MI 8-1-07, 4 Stent Failures from Aug 07 to May 08 ,Right Bundle Branch Block, Multiple VT episodes, SCA 10-09-07, ICD 10-10-07, Appropriate ICD shocks (5), Bypass Surgery 6-6-08, Cardioversion from A-Fib 6-9-08,CHF Diagnosed Class II 2-09, Pulmonary Embolism 4/10, IVC Filter Insertion, Colonectomy, Appendectomy and Hernia repair 8-30-2011, April 2013 Hospitalized Severe CHF, and Ishemic Cardiomiopathy, Sept 2013 Removal of ICD and replaced with CRT-D.
St. Jude Medical CRT-D. CD3365-40C and Coumadin for life :-(

February 23rd, 2009, 12:41 am
Profile E-mail
Global Moderator

The rash could be just from scratching the site. It could also be caused by more movement, but most likely from irritation from itching or clothing.

When in doubt - call your Doc.

Sub Pectoral ICD Implant 9/1999
Medtronic Dual Chamber Evera XT DR
Replaced: 3/2000, 3/2006 & 9/2013

'Folks can be as happy as they make up their minds to be.' - Abraham Lincoln

February 23rd, 2009, 1:50 am
Profile E-mail

I'm on board with the "itching means healing" idea - and I have have also intermittently gotten a rash around the incision - nothing big or annoying, but it just comes and goes.

West Palm Beach, Florida

February 24th, 2009, 9:19 pm

My ICD site itched like crazy (so itchy it was almost painful) for a long long time. It rarely itches now that its been about a year and a half but it itched for a good year. I guess I am a slow healer. I thought I might be allergic to the box for a long time. I don't think about it much anymore tho.

February 24th, 2009, 10:12 pm
Site Admin/Mod

I think a lot of us have gone through the ITCHIES when implanted, so I would assume it is pretty normal. the rash might be form the continued scratching as stated earlier. I wanted to ask you- is there any warmth form the incision area? Also no leaking or tenderness at the site, and the rash as you describe is pretty much flat, as in no pustules (like small little pimple heads)? As long as it is pretty much run of the mill itch, some light lotion might help stop it or even some Benadryl, of course as always- consult your cardiologist before trying anything. I think for the most part you will be fine, so not to worry. :)

Round One: ICD implanted Feb. 2006: Medtronic Intrinsic, 2 leads- St.Jude 1388tc (Atrial), 6947 Medtronic Sprint Quattro Secure (RV/SVC).....
Round Two: July 17 2011, meet Medtronic Virtuoso 2 DR- same leads, cleaner scar.
5 shocks whoooo hoooo!

Image Run Matilda, Run!

February 24th, 2009, 11:24 pm

Mine still itches sometimes - almost 4 years later. It's completely healed, but I am sensitive to clothing tags, bandaids, stitches, any scratchy clothing, etc. So I figure it's just me!!! But it just comes and goes, no rhyme or reason.

Sue B. / MN

ICD #1 - Metronic Secura, June 2005 with follow-up ablation in July 2005 for AVNRT. Shock storm April 2008.
ICD #2-Medtronic Virtuoso DR w/lead revision (Sprint lead), June 2009.
ICD #3 Medtronic Protecta DR w/lead revision, June 18, 2012. ICD & lead explant due to allergic reaction & infection on July 10, 2012. Opting not to re-implant at this time.
"Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Hate less, love more; And all good things are yours." ~ Swedish Proverb

February 25th, 2009, 10:59 pm
Profile E-mail

I made an appointment with my family doc today because there is a little hive on the end of the incision and I just want to be sure it's not infected. The itching is driving me nuts!!
Diane

February 26th, 2009, 11:54 am

My doc gave me some polysporin with an antihistamine in it for the incision itching. It was instant relief! He also told me to wrap my bra strap with gauze to help prevent it from rubbing.
Diane

February 26th, 2009, 11:04 pm

My incision itched.. I had it implanted 3 1/2 weeks ago. Dr was big on not scratching. I get allergy shots so I am used to itching.. I rub around the incision not on it..

February 27th, 2009, 12:10 am