Depression

Posts from Jan. 1, 2009 to Dec 31, 2009

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin

Sclady228

Depression

Post by Sclady228 » January 16th, 2019, 9:23 pm

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this group. I've been experiencing alot of depression since my ICD was implanted in Aug, 2018. I didnt associate it until I had my first shock yesterday. I knew my heart was going crazy, but I thought I could still drive to the ER. Right before I got to my car..BAMB!! Thank GOD, I didnt get behind the wheel!.
I'm always tired and getting very depressed. I'm 64 next month and have always been active..NOW, I dont even have energy for a walk.
Is this normal? Any tips?

TruckerRon

Re: Depression

Post by TruckerRon » January 16th, 2019, 11:23 pm

Sclady228 wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 9:23 pm
I'm always tired and getting very depressed. I'm 64 next month and have always been active..NOW, I dont even have energy for a walk.
Is this normal? Any tips?
Let's see:
  • You've encountered undeniable proof that there's something wrong with your heart.
  • You've nearly died, but this time the device saved you.
  • You can't do many of the things you used to do.
Those are all adequate reasons to be depressed!

In my case my heart condition is one that responds well to treatment, both by the device (CRT-D) and medication. Appropriate exercise has helped as well. But I'm not going to ever drive a big rig again because the law doesn't allow it. My endurance has improved, but I can't work the 14-hour days that I once did. 5-hour workdays are about right if I'm to also do the things I love, like playing in the community orchestra. I had to find my new levels of endurance, and they've gone up over the past 9 years.

The question is are you going to be proactive and work on what you can, or are you going to wait around and feel sorry for yourself? If you're wise, you'll talk with your current doctors and, if you need to do so, you'll find a counselor to help you find your way through the emotional minefield your life may have become. You may need adjustments to your medications -- some have the lovely side effect of causing depression! You'll find an exercise therapist who understands your heart condition and can help you find your new level of limitations and then work on ways to raise that level back as much as you can. It'll take time, but every step upward will become a treasured memory if you persist and refuse to surrender.

Good luck!
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099